What memory card for a Zumo 660?

you could go back to the supplier and ask for a refund.

Yes, you're right but if you knew the problems I had with the original supplier you would understand my reticense to waste my breath on them. If the replacement unit works and is reliable I'm sure I will forget about it - it just bugging me right now.

I've completely given up with using my 660 for music. I found the sound quality to be really poor and the processor unable to cope with multi tasking. :mad:

That's a shame Mutley. Mine does both no problem.

Perhaps it would be worth trying to reload the software.

Perhaps it would be worth trying to reload the software.

And doing a master reset, turn on the 660 whilst pressing down in the right-hand corner. It may erase your user data, it certainly resets the 660's settings to fresh from factory.

Personally I think it's utter pot luck whether you have a 660 that plays MP3's without / with problems. I certainly wouldn't be happy paying to get a machine that might not be an improvement. Unless it was whatever will replace the 660.

And doing a master reset, turn on the 660 whilst pressing down in the right-hand corner. It may erase your user data, it certainly resets the 660's settings to fresh from factory.

Personally I think it's utter pot luck whether you have a 660 that plays MP3's without / with problems. I certainly wouldn't be happy paying to get a machine that might not be an improvement. Unless it was whatever will replace the 660.

+1. Whenever you make any changes on the Micro SD card such as put more MP3's on it, you have to do a hard reset. Well on mine anyway it was only way to get the 660 to recognise the card at all albeit with a degree of unreliability afterwards. I have ordered a 4GB card (only cost £2.99) anyway just as a trial before mine goes back to Garmin for exchange.

I have to say I was surprised by the attitude from Garmin - there was no attempt to resolve or investigate the issue, just a straight "We'll send you another one Sir". Especially since according to tech support they have never heard of this issue before......

You haven't updated to 2013.10 yet then I take it :nenau :D

I am on Map CN Europe NT 2012 40

Not getting any prompts from the Garmin Updater to look for 2013.10.

What is new there and how much bigger?

I think there has been a big ongoing increase in detail in some of the mid European Map detail, so the files become much larger.

Grey Beard

What is new there and how much bigger?

Too big for the 660's 4GB of memory. Load Western Europe which leaves quite a chunk of space for additional mapping on the internal memory, a few hundred MB depending on how much of a clear out of the redundant junk you've had.

Alternatively put the rest of Europe on your microSD card.

Too big for the 660's 4GB of memory. Load Western Europe which leaves quite a chunk of space for additional mapping on the internal memory, a few hundred MB depending on how much of a clear out of the redundant junk you've had.

Alternatively put the rest of Europe on your microSD card.

Thanks

OK, just updated the firmware to latest version.

The only data, which is in the Garmin memory are the Garmin software (maps, etc). plus a Speed Camera Data Base. Only two voice languages - German & English installed also.

How do I split the additional map info so that it is installed on the SD Card plus the Garmin Internal Memory? I think Garmin said to use Map Updater rather than the other method which was flaky? Last time I tried this I think you are basically limited to monolithic files and cannot split into individual country files.

Grey Beard

Use the stand alone web updater which is option 2. Don't download option 1 which is the Lifetime updater, this will sit there hogging resources checking for an update that only occurs 4 times a year... pointless :blast

The standalone updater will download, run that with your Zumo plugged in via USB. It will tell you that you don't have enough room, carry on and select Western Europe and also to install full Europe onto your computer. This will take a few hours depending on your net connection. Best left to it's own devices, go for a walk or something...

Once complete hopefully you'll have Western Europe on your GPS and full Europe on your PC.

Using Mapsource or MapInstall you can now select any other mapping tiles you want and send these to your SD card. Best to have this in a reader as it'll be a bit quicker. MapInstall is a dedicated program for this purpose and and if you're unfamiliar with Mapsource, or on a Mac, then I would recommend that you use that.

Once complete put your SD card back into your Zumo and boot. The mapping should now be showing and useable, check by going 'Tools' > 'Settings' > 'Map' > 'Map Info', the supplementary mapping should be shown alongside the primary mapping you installed during the update.

The tile of Prague that I loaded as a test can be seen below as [1], the primary Western Europe mapping is shown at [2]. The 3D file above that is the 3d buildings data, this is only for the primary mapping area, no 3D buildings (or Junction View images) will be shown elsewhere.

765T_map-info.png

Thanks for that. I will give it a go this weekend hopefully.

Just bought a Garmin Map 62ST for wilderness walking but the BaseCamp (known to be buggy) won't update properly. Really inexcusable from Garmin.

Grey Beard

Back
Top Bottom