America's South West in 4 weeks

Jockser

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Not a very original title I know but at least you know what you're getting ;)

We're now a week into the trip so I thought I'd better get a move on or I'd be home before I started posting. Besides, Big Aidan keeps hassling me about it :blast

A couple of months ago Eclectic / Liam mentioned he was considering a wee trip to the Land of the Free this summer so I duly invited myself along :D It was going to be a group of 6 - Liam & Naomi, another couple Nigel & Helen plus a guy they'd travelled with previously. Dave thinks he's a member on here but can't really remember :eek So if anyone knows a scouser called Dave who has a grey 1200, that's probably him....

We originally considered shipping our bikes but for various reasons decided to hire in the end. Of all the options we settled on Bikers West, not far from the airport in LA. It's only a small operation so the choice was between a couple of Wings or a couple of V Stars :eek: but they were considerably cheaper than anywhere else.

As Liam, Naomi & I are involved in the organisation of the Horizons Unlimited Ireland meeting at the end of June a departure date in early May was chosen. Thanks to some sage advice from Sgt Bilko (thanks muchly Chris :thumb) it was decided not to head too far north but rather meander east & then loop back west.

Saturday May 5th seemed to take forever to come around but eventually it was time for the off. The rest were flying from London so I was on my lonesome from Dublin.

Terminal 2 on a bright May morning :
IMG_4010.jpg

My taxi for Leg 1 to Chicago O'Hare :
IMG_4012.jpg

Lunch as interpreted by American Airlines :
IMG_4013.jpg

IMG_4014.jpg

IMG_4016.jpg

Lots of water below :
IMG_4019.jpg

And then lots of seemingly unoccupied land :
IMG_4022.jpg

And then an afternoon snack :
IMG_4023.jpg

IMG_4024.jpg

Leg 2 was to LAX, over the mountains
IMG_4034.jpg

IMG_4039.jpg

Lots of irrigation :
IMG_4044.jpg

And more mountains :
IMG_4047.jpg

And a big tear in the earth (that's gonna take a lot of thread to mend !) :
IMG_4052.jpg

Twenty hours after leaving home I eventually touched down in California. And not before time ! We'd booked into the Hacienda Hotel, basic but clean & cheap as a cheap thing. They even collected me from the airport ;)

After a quick bite in Sizzlers :( (cos it was just across the road) it was off to bed in preparation for a big day tomorrow :bounce1

Keep the photos coming to whet our appetite - we fly to LA on 29th May for 17 days on an Eaglerider R1200RT :D

Looking good so far Jochen:thumb

We'll be watching with interest as I think we'll be heading that way next year:roll

Enjoy:bounce1

Day 2 - LA to Indio, California

First thing Sunday morning Mike (Mr Bikers West) & his daughter picked up all of us & our gear in 2 people carriers & brought us to his place to collect the bikes. Liam & I had chosen to hire the Wings while Dave & Nigel had gone for the cruisers.

And that's when I first met Ruby :
0002.jpg

We spent a good while packing all our stuff on & signing all the paperwork but then we were ready for the off :bounce1

Nigel & Helen on the left & Dave on the right :
002.jpg

Liam & Naomi with Mike & his lady in the background :
003.jpg

We had decided to head to somewhere around Palm Springs, via the Angeles Ridgeway, on the first day to ease ourselves into it but Mike reckoned we'd be better off leaving the Ridgeway until the return journey - with it being a sunny Sunday all the crotch rockets would be out - so we headed straight for PS on the freeway. It was still early so as we got closer we thought why waste a beautiful afternoon sitting in a hotel, lets do Joshua Tree NP today instead of tomorrow.....

After lots of boring highway, and a quick stop for a cold drink in the Golden Arches in Yukka Valley, we entered the park from the north western corner & immediately hit stunning scenery.

Amazing outcrops of rock everywhere :
008.jpg

0094.jpg

Some Joshua trees :
016.jpg

Up close :
025.jpg

A stop at one of the information boards :
020.jpg

Scary bunch :
023.jpg

Ruby enjoying the scenery :
026.jpg

Some more scenery :
027.jpg

033.jpg

047.jpg

058.jpg

075.jpg

082.jpg

Dave & Nigel :
099.jpg

Some plant life :
110.jpg

144.jpg

146.jpg

152.jpg

After exiting the southern end of the park we opted to not take the highway so ended up going through Box Canyon which was a change from the wide open vistas of the bottom of the park. Unfortunately I've no pics until Day 3 cos it was getting dark. We rode through Mecca :nenau before stopping in a cheap motel in Indio at about 9pm, a nice easy start.....

Stay tooned, there's lots more to come :D

Great start - looking forward to it. I can tell you're fond of the Wing when you've named it!:D

About bloody time too:rob..........

we were starting to think you were only posting the RR in the WING OWNERS CLUB:D:D

Actually, a couple of us are heading to yours to give that bike of yours a good clean in anticipation that you will be trading it for a luxury lazy mans tourer.:hide

Keep it coming:thumb2

Looks and sounds like you're struggling to enjoy yourself :p
Go easy on Ruby she wouldn't be used to throttle happy Irishmen :rob

:aidan

Back
Top Bottom