Buyers guide anywhere?

Fomb

Reaction score
1150 GS Buyers guide?

I'm looking at R1150GS', and have had a dig around the site but can't seem to find any sort of buyers guide summary - i.e what to look out for and the common pitfalls.

I'm sure there must be one somewhere but I can't see it anywhere... Does anyone have the info, or know where it is?

here you go.

does the condition match the price ? answer = yes then buy it. :thumb

everything else is relative

The 1150 is generally regarded as being pretty bullet proof. As has been said if it has a credible service history/owner, a recent MOT and you like it then buy it.

Obviously all the usual caveats apply as with buying any bike or car - but they really are pretty straightforward.

I bought one, my first BMW. I was advised that the servo equipped bikes can be problematic but not much else that wouldn't be found on a ten year-old bike.
A good service history and first impressions of bike and owner worked for me.

I absolutely love mine.

Not the easiest bike to clean though, you need fingers like a gynecologist to get in some of the nooks and crannies. ;)

How important is history on what could be a ten year old bike? Would you tend to buy more based on the condition and less the history or is the history still critical like it can be on some bikes…

Great bike, easy to service yourself, corrosion on fork lowers and brace common as is front engine cover. Not a lot goes wrong with em really never had a problem with the servo brakes on mine, service involves fluid changes all round throttle body balance, valves, fuel filter and thats about it. Check for play in rear wheel, swingarm, paralever bearings do wear and go as does the bevel box bearing occasionally all cheapish to fix yourself. Oh and the headlight is shit.

Great bike, easy to service yourself, corrosion on fork lowers and brace common as is front engine cover. Not a lot goes wrong with em really never had a problem with the servo brakes on mine, service involves fluid changes all round throttle body balance, valves, fuel filter and thats about it. Check for play in rear wheel, swingarm, paralever bearings do wear and go as does the bevel box bearing occasionally all cheapish to fix yourself. Oh and the headlight is shit.

all sound advice except ........

The servo unit packed up on my 1150GSA. I got it removed - and by that i mean REMOVED completely rather than a Steptoe unplug - cost me over £300. But well worth it TBH. The amount of gubbins removed and its' weight was amazing. The servo is a pain in the ass anyways.

I was quoted by BMW £187 to change the brake fluid because , apparently, the bleeding takes so long to do :eek:

Yep, of course you can service the bike yourself but how will that affect re-selling ?

Not saying any of the above posts are wrong, simply that you need to consider serveal things before taking any one course of action so do your research as you are doing it now. Don't rush.

Dave

Agree with dave about servicing if you cant/dont do it yourself dealer prices are ridiculous if you do it yourself and realise whats involved, all oil changed engine/gearbox/shaft takes 20mins valves 30 mins, throttle balance 20mins max. The only job i never did myself was the brake fluid change but there are guides on here on how to do it, i think i recall steptoe saying once it was a 20min job if you know what you are doing, may be wrong. Find a good independant close to you though and they are worth their weight in gold and mostly a lot cheaper than main dealers. I did find most bike shops wont touch the servo brakes for servicing as they are supposed to have a pressure test done and they wont have the equipment/knowledge to do the job. I dont think service history on the 1150's necessarily affects re-sale if you keep receipts for the parts and sell on here as most are owned by enthusiasts with a good bit of knowledge.

I'd have to agree with that.

What I would say too is that if I'd realised how much better the bike was after the removal of the servo unit, I'd have had it removed BEFORE it went defective ! It transformed slower speed handling and gave much more feel to braking at all speeds. Don't automatically refuse a bike with no ABS/servo.

Dave

all sound advice except ........

The servo unit packed up on my 1150GSA. I got it removed - and by that i mean REMOVED completely rather than a Steptoe unplug -

I do remove everything, and i mean everything. :confused:

I do remove everything, and i mean everything. :confused:

Yabbut a lot of people seem to feel that they haven't had a good job done unless they've paid silly sums of money for it :nenau

It makes them feel confident somehow......same as that cheese selling experiment where they put two halves of the same round of cheese on display, one at half the cost price, the other at triple the cost price, and even allow people to sample the two identical cheeses.

The expensive one sold out first :blast

Funny old world :D

Back
Top Bottom