Tribsa. Help needed identifying the frame.

Given that your mate had this bike for over 30 years, does he have any old photos of it in a more complete state?

I'm not sure it would help find out the provenance of the frame, I'm now just morbidly curious about the engine... :D

If he has, they'll probably also include long hair and dreadful flares. I'm guessing he won't be in a rush for us to see them.:D

:D

You'll just have to wait until he's out then break into his house, then.

(I'm sure Sherlock Holmes would approve...:augie)

So, if this turns out to be a Triumph engine in a Yamaha frame, then it's the worse of both worlds!

XS650 engines are horrible things so I can see why he'd want rid of it. The whole thing looks like a POS. Sell the Brit parts and bin the rest.

It looks like a 1971 BSA Lightning or Triumph Bonneville frame from to me. The footrest loops are missing though. :nenau

It's not a 1971 Bonneville or Lightning, they were Oil-in-Frame with large diameter top tube and seat tube. The swingarm looks BSA (with pillion footrest mounts added on, as per 1970s Japanese) it has the BSA type chain adjusters and the rear brake torque arm has been modified because the brake drum has been rotated. I think it's a Japanese frame that's been chopped about. Shocks are Suzuki.

Good point, definitely not a Japanese frame. ...
:blast
It's not a 1971 Bonneville or Lightning, they were Oil-in-Frame with large diameter top tube and seat tube. The swingarm looks BSA (with pillion footrest mounts added on, as per 1970s Japanese) it has the BSA type chain adjusters and the rear brake torque arm has been modified because the brake drum has been rotated. I think it's a Japanese frame that's been chopped about. Shocks are Suzuki.

I'm coming around to that way of thinking, the more I think about it, it's not like any BSA frame I've seen. I don't think it's Triumph either.

The person who initially called it a TriBSA needs a good talking to...:rolleyes:

Could always be a rickman bsa special reeeally expensive rare frame.

of course its not .... I just thought I'd throw it in the mix.

bsa20frame.jpg

there are no disc caliper lugs on the fork sliders - could be they are norton cos of the alloy yokes ??

i can't put the frame to any bsa i know

either way - its an abortion that needs putting out of its misery

Pre OIF A65 - What do you think?

Different in several respects. Top tube brace, gussets near swing arm pivot, and most obviously, the tubes which go from the swing arm pivot to the top mounts for the rear suspension units.

And those are just the obvious differences. Whatever the frame actually is from, I can't see any chance of it being an A65.

Back
Top Bottom