V Strom 1000 any good ? Or Varadero 1000 ?

Varadero;s are so heavy. Half the fuel eco goes to get it moving even if build qullaity and comfort are sublime. 650 wee strom is good but vibey when touring and top heavy. Rode the new one just recently and its good, improved, smooth, good looking but not quite sure i can go from a 1200 to a 650, regardless of bike. IYSWIM

I have a 1000 V-Strom and it's a freat bike (although I'd hate to take it off road-I'm just not brave enough.

The two things that pee'd me off with mine was the lack od response in 6th gear, and the spongy handling.

The top gear issue was sorted with a remap done with a Yoshimura box thing-at the same time I put new end cans on it, and now it pulls from 1,500rpm in top. And unlike fitting a TRE box you can buy that tricks the ignition into thinking it is in 5th (and therefore no longer shows the "OD" on the clock when you put it in 6th), it is set up for the whole rev range in all gears. Fuel consumption is 35-45 mpg depending on where and how it is ridden. I believe the Honda is much thirstier.

And the suspension was sorted by Darren at MCT. The back shock he says is fine but the front way too soft for my riding. Stiffer springs and a pair of spacers has made all the difference-no wallowing and nore controlled braking.

And don't listen when people say Suzuki have a poor finish. I rode back from a 3,500 mile tour to Bosnia and back in September through all types of weather, and only used in again two weeks ago. Washed and polished it and no corrosion or paint flaking anywhere.

I've done 24,500 miles on it, mostly on trips to and around Europe and it has never let me down. The only problem I have had has been a weeping seal in the clutch master cylinder which was £83 for a new one. I realise now i should have changed it to cable operation which is a simple swap, but too late now.

Just want a change now (had it three years) and maybe to a GS, although like for like the GS is a whole lot more expensive. Nut then the Suzuki holds it's price well.

I had an 07 GT model DL1000 - was a great bike. Much cheaper and more fragile feeling than a BMW tbh, but I loved it. Stonking engine and pretty comfy too. The top box was great, but the panniers leaked like a sieve. Would wheelie all day long too.
When I got it I test road a Varadero, but that felt even softer and heavier, plus didn't have any zip or character that usual V-twins have. They ruined the SP-2 engine in that bike IMO.

Now the SP-2 - I'd love one of those if I had the money.....:topic

A bit late to the V Strom Debate...:rolleyes:

I have had a 1000 since late 2011 and think its a great bike... Its an 02 so doesn't have a couple of upgrades... It has 50 odd thou miles on and apart from the sometimes rattly clutch "chudder" it's smooth and and runs very well... I remember them coming out and thinking with my GS snobbery "another copy" but now know there are plenty of alternatives to GS's...

Good bits... Great engine, pretty good build quality, good gearbox, great reliability, quick and with the right set up very "chuckable"... Great brakes and can be loaded with gear, very comfy on a run and naturally a good shape for 6'6" me...

Average bits... Not as service friendly but with a couple of cheap mods this can be made easier... Some bits of build and design are a bit "Suzook"... Not quite as good as a BM for weather protection...

Cheaper mods on mine done by a previous owner... Hyperpro front springs which make it far more sporty... Braided lines for great braking... Suzook/givi top box which is very good and doesn't totally bugger the handling... Heated grips...

I have fitted a taller DIY screen and jacked it up with different links... I use soft panniers which go well with its very slim filtering profile... I fitted a cheap TRE which makes it much sharper in low revs... Shorter gearing for better usability in all 6 gears...

For what I paid it is a really good bike... It can handle some really shitty weather long distance touring and makes you ride like a twatty hooligan if you want... :D There are loads of other bikes about but I have a soft spot for the Strom... It can get high 40's mpg if you try or dip into the 30's if you get possessed...:D

It filters like a smaller bike and is sooo much narrower than a GS to avoid things... The injection behaves most of the time and doesn't leave you with the splutters at slow speeds like some GS's can... My girlie thinks it is tons better for pillions than the GS and likes the fast forward button...

The engine/gearbox's seem genuilnely lifetime reliable if you want and this part of GS's can easily be overrated...:augie Get a chain oiler (I have a cheap Lubeman which is great as you don't have to buy the resupplies...)...

Great allround bike and a ton of fun if you want...

A bit late to the V Strom Debate...:rolleyes:

I have had a 1000 since late 2011 and think its a great bike... Its an 02 so doesn't have a couple of upgrades... It has 50 odd thou miles on and apart from the sometimes rattly clutch "chudder" it's smooth and and runs very well... I remember them coming out and thinking with my GS snobbery "another copy" but now know there are plenty of alternatives to GS's...

Good bits... Great engine, pretty good build quality, good gearbox, great reliability, quick and with the right set up very "chuckable"... Great brakes and can be loaded with gear, very comfy on a run and naturally a good shape for 6'6" me...

Average bits... Not as service friendly but with a couple of cheap mods this can be made easier... Some bits of build and design are a bit "Suzook"... Not quite as good as a BM for weather protection...

Cheaper mods on mine done by a previous owner... Hyperpro front springs which make it far more sporty... Braided lines for great braking... Suzook/givi top box which is very good and doesn't totally bugger the handling... Heated grips...

I have fitted a taller DIY screen and jacked it up with different links... I use soft panniers which go well with its very slim filtering profile... I fitted a cheap TRE which makes it much sharper in low revs... Shorter gearing for better usability in all 6 gears...

For what I paid it is a really good bike... It can handle some really shitty weather long distance touring and makes you ride like a twatty hooligan if you want... :D There are loads of other bikes about but I have a soft spot for the Strom... It can get high 40's mpg if you try or dip into the 30's if you get possessed...:D

It filters like a smaller bike and is sooo much narrower than a GS to avoid things... The injection behaves most of the time and doesn't leave you with the splutters at slow speeds like some GS's can... My girlie thinks it is tons better for pillions than the GS and likes the fast forward button...

The engine/gearbox's seem genuilnely lifetime reliable if you want and this part of GS's can easily be overrated...:augie Get a chain oiler (I have a cheap Lubeman which is great as you don't have to buy the resupplies...)...

Great allround bike and a ton of fun if you want...

Nice write up, honest and real world, :thumb2

Nice write up, honest and real world, :thumb2

Thanks...:thumb Had a lot of bikes and ridden many more... Have worked in the trade etc and there is plenty fashion/bullshit/marketing that sometimes bigs up bikes and puts down others...

:thumb

Back
Top Bottom