West to Vermont...

MikeO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
23rd October

Spent yesterday doing various domestic bits & pieces at the hotel, but decided I must get back into the rhythm of riding today.

I get the bike packed and I’m fed, watered, booted & suited at 0900, deciding to head vaguely north west into Vermont, for no better reason than it looked interesting on the map.

Except it wasn’t, really. Interesting, I mean. It was pretty enough but, a bit like Michigan, it wasn’t spectacular. As I enter the slightly raised elevations, the leaves are clearly past their best and the landscape wintry…

10259008-L.jpg

…rather than merely autumnal. I stay on the back roads, most of which are well surfaced and dry. Riding through here is definitely reminiscent of England – nowhere more so than in the place names – I ride through, or near, Exeter, Epping, Shrewsbury, Bradford and Windsor.

10259005-L.jpg

I find this old gent on the edge of a scrap yard. I later spend some time on Google, and manage to identify it as a 1940 Oldsmobile…

10259002-L.jpg

It never ceases to amaze me that vehicles like this are so often seen lying at the side of the road. I reckon just about any 1940 vintage vehicle would be snapped up by a restorer in the UK, a better fate than this one is facing, I reckon…

10259004-L.jpg

It’s quite cold and, despite my heated clothing, the temperature starts to take its toll on me. I stop for a while by a nameless lake, somewhere near Unity, and spend a few minutes listening to the leaves being blown around by the light breeze…

10259006-L.jpg

…before getting back onto the bike and setting Bettie the task of finding me somewhere to spend the night. I end up in Rutland, at the most poorly maintained EconoLodge on the planet. An early night beckons…

10264509-L.jpg

10259007-L-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom