Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska 2013

Dream Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwbikeruk View Post
    Mouth-watering, once-in-a-lifetime trip to master the famous Dalton Highway as shown on TV (Ice Road Truckers!) I love that little tough lady Lisa Kelly! I'd love to have a go on this challenge! You mentioned bikes being containered. Did you mean bikes being flown over from Heathrow? Otherwise, is it possible to hire a R12GSA from Portland BMW for fly and ride only? I once flew my K100RS to Canada from Heathrow for my mammoth 33 day 10,000 mile 26 state USA tour in 1990 as it worked out cheaper than hire bike! Cheers!
    I put them in a sealed and secure container which goes by sea. It's the cheapest method and makes the trip affordable. You can also pack everything you need on teh bike and fly over with just hand luggage

I'll check out rental costs but be prepared to fall over
    www.unchainedtours.com

"Of all the forces that make for a better world, none is so powerful as hope.
    With hope, one can think, one can work, one can dream.
    If you have hope, you have everything."

http://www.unchainedtours.com

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I'm up for it

Sod waiting for retirement or anything else

very interested

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Bilco View Post
    Due to the high demand for my Alaska 2012 trip, I will be running it again in 2013. It will differ from the 2012 trips as we will start and finish the trip in Portland Oregon. This will give us a bit more time for the trip and enable you to fly in and out of Portland and do the trip in 4 weeks total

Here are the basic details:

Depart Portland on Monday 24th June 2013 and return Friday 19th July 2013

Start and Finish in Portland and the route will be as follows: Mount St Helens, Vancouver, Whistler, Hyder (Salmon Tail Glacier) and up to Prudhoe Bay via the Dalton Hwy.

We'll come back down via the Top of the World Hwy, Alcan Hwy, Jasper, Icefields Parkway, Banff, Waterton, Glacier National Park and across to Portland via the Cascades .

The total mileage will be around 7500 miles and there will be around 500 miles of gravel on the Dalton and TOTW Hwy. It's not too hard but it can get tricky if the weather gets cold and wet. There will be some days we will have to get a move on and will be around 450 miles but that is easy up in Canada and Alaska as there is very little traffic and the views around you are superb. I can promise you will not get bored....!!

We are riding all these roads this year and I know them very well now. This trip is very do-able and I will programme a few days off in nice places.

The bikes will be containered there and back and will be loaded in specially constructed wheel chocks. I've got this operation off to a fine art now.

There will be no camping and we will be using motels along the way. They are cheap enough and a whole lot easier than lugging a tent half way across the world but if you want to do a bit of camping, that's no problem.

Let me know if you are interested and I'll give you an idea of the costs you can expect. I already have a few people from this parish signed up so if you fancy the trip, contact me a.s.a.p as the number will be limited to 12 in total.

Just to wet your appetite, you will be able to follow this years trip in the ride reports section and we leave on the 1st trip on June 16th.
    did trip in europe last year 5,000 miles in two weeks live in isle of man must get off the rock at least once a year time no problem if you could let me have an idea of cost e mail address is rodtrimble@yahoo.co.uk thanks

opinionated, me? Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Just in case you don't get an immediate reply, it's because Chris is actually starting one of his trips at the moment!
    Mark
    Just when you've got this rat race licked, here come faster rats!

New Member (less than 15 Posts)

Alaska trip 2013

Hi Did the Trans Am Trail last year so have an idea how costly can be shipping bikes over, mine took 5 months to get back.
    That sai this sounds more organised am very interested in next years trip so would appreciate the details of costs etc.

hi sounds great can you send me details of this trip

Retired today !!! Very very interested in this, can you send details please.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey B View Post
    Just a week away too long for me...until 2 yrs 364 days time. Hopefully IF you run this in June 2015.....................
    I might be right behind you. Looking at 2015 as a possible / probable retirement year. Unless someone pisses me off before then. And I am hoping that I get a preview of Alaska early 2013 with work. Met some lovely folk who work that way. Lots of hunting, shooting, fishing, flying going on up there. Would love to see it.
    Carpe Diem!

I am interested, I'm self employed so it's not a problem getting the time, it's just the financials. It's on my bucket list since covering some of that ground when I was a squaddie and over in Canada on exercise a few times.

Talking Lookie here...

... Garfield has a blog running if anyone is interested:

http://www.nomadbiker.co.uk/

I'm on the trip in a couple of weeks time

Bob

Cost and details please.

Bugger. Sorry Chris but family wedding strikes again. Niece getting married in Oct in Canada and Reivers Boreen just too near the starting date.

Maybe some time
    We should learn from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism. [/I]

I'm also interested in more details please

Darren

New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    Can i have some cost details plesae.

Milo

Dream Maker
    Thanks for everyone who has pm'd me reference next year and I'll be back onto you all when I get home from this trip at the end of August
    www.unchainedtours.com

"Of all the forces that make for a better world, none is so powerful as hope.
    With hope, one can think, one can work, one can dream.
    If you have hope, you have everything."

http://www.unchainedtours.com

Alaska 2013

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Hi would you send cost details. Thanks
    Wishing you everything you'd wish yourself, and more. Ride safe

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast