Thread: Tyres

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Tyres

Guys what tyres are you proposing to use after Fairbanks for the Dalton and the haul back south , who has experience of what tyres ? I have only ever ridden on Tourance,s or MT 21,s (which are not applicable here)
    Any thoughts and experience appreciated
    Symon
    still no deid

The new Heidenau K60s front and rear.
    These seem to be the tyre of choice on ADVrider as they can do the road mileage as well as grip on the dirt roads.We shall see......

Quote Originally Posted by boatman View Post
    Guys what tyres are you proposing to use after Fairbanks for the Dalton and the haul back south , who has experience of what tyres ? I have only ever ridden on Tourance,s or MT 21,s (which are not applicable here)
    Any thoughts and experience appreciated
    Symon
    Hi Symon

I've ordered the Heidenau K60s, used TKCs before: haven't used the K60s but they come highly recommended. The guys in Fairbanks say that the TKCs wear out faster but not in my experience, when I had them for a Morocco trip. Either will be good I reckon !

Bob

How did the Transalp get on after Applecross??

Just come back from a 4000 mile trip around Morocco and 2 of the bikes that went there with us had the new K60 on.

They were very happy with them. I went with karoos and the were worn out by the time I got home. Very noisy and vibey on the road

They said there was no road noise off the rear and only a little off the front on the K60.
    They have the solid centre line on the rear now. Don't know if you feel the change as it leans over?

What bikes are you taking to Alaska? Do you think a G650GS (Single) would be a bit small?

Dream Maker
    Symon

The K60's are nop notch and ride really well. In fact you will hardly notice a difference from road tryes apart from a slight rumble from the from which you get from a TKC anyway. Shawn in Fairbanks reckons they are much better than TKC's for the Dalton and he should know I guess.

Gromit

You can't feel the change when it rolls off the solid center section or at least I can't The 650 will be OK for Alaska and you'll benefit at the gas station when you are only putting half of what the 1200 are putting in

I was up there in 2008 with a mate on his 650 and he ran with us no problem. We will only be cruising at around 65mph even on the long stretches. As long as you are comfy on it, it will be good but remember there will be 4 or 5 days of around 400 miles.
    www.unchainedtours.com

"Of all the forces that make for a better world, none is so powerful as hope.
    With hope, one can think, one can work, one can dream.
    If you have hope, you have everything."

http://www.unchainedtours.com

Quote Originally Posted by columbus View Post
    How did the Transalp get on after Applecross??
    Ye transalp was spot on and did indeed haul me, and all me camping gear around the top end of the west highlands for a few more days. Actually i really enjoyed riding the much lighter bike (must be an age thing )
    Hope you all enjoyed the rest of your run, CRACKING weather for it.
    All the best
    Sy
    still no deid

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Bilco View Post
    Symon

The K60's are nop notch and ride really well. In fact you will hardly notice a difference from road tryes apart from a slight rumble from the from which you get from a TKC anyway. Shawn in Fairbanks reckons they are much better than TKC's for the Dalton and he should know I guess.

Gromit

You can't feel the change when it rolls off the solid center section or at least I can't The 650 will be OK for Alaska and you'll benefit at the gas station when you are only putting half of what the 1200 are putting in

I was up there in 2008 with a mate on his 650 and he ran with us no problem. We will only be cruising at around 65mph even on the long stretches. As long as you are comfy on it, it will be good but remember there will be 4 or 5 days of around 400 miles.
    K60,s ordered n paid
    still no deid

Appreciating Scotland Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    New K60's fitted for the run down to Pershore. I reckon that the one set might do the entire trip but just in case I've got a rear waiting for me in Fairbanks. If it's not needed I'll just carry it as a spare back to SF.

My last K60 rear, the old tread pattern without a centre strip, managed over 7,000 miles.
    '83 BMW R100
    Yamaha S10
    '69 BMW R60 US

Quote Originally Posted by boatman View Post
    Ye transalp was spot on and did indeed haul me, and all me camping gear around the top end of the west highlands for a few more days. Actually i really enjoyed riding the much lighter bike (must be an age thing )
    Hope you all enjoyed the rest of your run, CRACKING weather for it.
    All the best
    Sy
    Glad to hear it went well. It certainly looks the part. The rest of our run was just right but you can't really go wrong when the weather is that good. I hope you & everyone enjoy your Alaska run and hopefully it goes without incident. Enjoy the dalton.

* * * * * * Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Quote Originally Posted by Colban View Post
    The new Heidenau K60s front and rear.
    These seem to be the tyre of choice on ADVrider as they can do the road mileage as well as grip on the dirt roads.We shall see......

that's what I bought....
    <a href=http://www.nomadbiker.co.uk target=_blank>www.nomadbiker.co.uk</a>