north yorkshire moors back roads, scenic route

Ok, just subscribed to site so drop me a pm tomorrow for where & what time you want to meet on Sunday ( weather permitting ;-)
Al

Ride Out

That looks like an interesting route. Let me know the date, and hopefully I will be there too !:thumb2

Ride Out

Have just noticed. . . . . . you already put the date.. . . . . Count me in. Should be a good ride! Cheers.

look forwards to seeing you philhunt88, :thumb

Market Place Town Centre, Thirsk YO7 1EY

0900 meet up leave 0930 sunday the 5th august,

the route is 140 miles, half of the route is pretty slow due to the twisty roller coaster of small moorland roads, and villages, though coming back is a fair bit faster on some good twisty
A roads, and wider moorland roads.

Have just noticed. . . . . . you already put the date.. . . . . Count me in. Should be a good ride! Cheers.
I've edited cocker's initial post to show:
Market Place Town Centre, Thirsk YO7 1EY

0900 meet up leave 0930 sunday the 5th august,

the route is 140 miles, half of the route is pretty slow due to the twisty roller coaster of small moorland roads, and villages, though coming back is a fair bit faster on some good twisty
A roads, and wider moorland roads.
...to avoid others missing the date in the bulk of the thread.

Come along

Ferol,

It's an open invite day out, come along you will be very welcome, see you on the 5th.

Andrew

Would love to partake,will be ace to see Mr J Boxer and that Petcul chat again, {regards Pete)

chimney bank steepest road in england

on the back road between Rosedale Abbey and the village of Hutton-le-Hole is Chimney Bank, Britain's steepest motorable road at 1 in 3, or 33%. Plenty of roads have 1 in 3 signs, but this is the only genuine article

Almost certainly the steepest section of road in Britain, Rosedale Chimney Bank is often included in the Tour of Britain as it is a true 1 in 3 climb at one point. Go south from the village of Rosedale Abbey. The climb is immediately steep - a sign tells you youre about to tackle a 1 in 3 hill. You encounter a cattle grid which doesnt help matters, after which the road hits 25% on the first corner of a switchback, followed by the steepest part of the climb (33%) - a very steep second corner and unforgiving section after it. The climb then relents to about 20% before easing off to the top (view of mines on your right from a car park area) and on to the vast expanse of Spaunton Moor.

The Rosedale Chimney Bank is situated in North Yorkshire . Starting from Rosedale Abbey, the Rosedale Chimney Bank ascent is 1.47 km long. Over this distance, you climb 175 heightmeters. The average percentage is thus 11.9 %.

Attachments

• chimney.jpg
    chimney.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 152
Hi boys (and gals?)
I'm having to drop out of this ride out. Plans have changed and I won't be in Yorkshire :(

thats a shame, but theres always next time,

anyhow if the route around the lake district is good this week end i will do that again in mid august if anyone fancys it

I see that some of the organisers have already recced the route.

Does anyone have a GPS route they would be prepared to let me have ?

I have a friend coming over from the States in a few weeks and we are intending to cover the Lakes , the Dales and the NY Moors.

Any contributions will be gratefully received.

logyk

I am going on this ride on sunday and will have my sat nav with me. I should be able to send you the route after that. Hope this is of some use.
Cheers Glenn.

I see that some of the organisers have already recced the route.

Does anyone have a GPS route they would be prepared to let me have ?

I have a friend coming over from the States in a few weeks and we are intending to cover the Lakes , the Dales and the NY Moors.

Any contributions will be gratefully received.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240514

Have a look at this thread, it contains a GPS route for a Great trip around all of the 21 Dales of Yorkshire.

Back
Top Bottom