Can you polish a turd?

They were largely unloved and ignored in their day because they were seen as the "poor man's" or "entry level" K-Series so finding a relatively good one is getting harder (probably why the previous owner to me went to Germany to bring this one home).

Gone the other way now. K100s go for feck all now but K75s fetch more, especially nice ones and RTs. No real low mileage bikes left, which says a lot. No character but go forever.

Gone the other way now. K100s go for feck all now but K75s fetch more, especially nice ones and RTs.
The fall in prices for K100s is mainly due to the model changes whereas the K75 had only one relatively minor model upgrade.

I'd pay good money for a 16v K100RS but I wouldn't pay anything for an 8v model. Not many people want to buy 8v K100RT/LT when there are a lot of K1100LTs around with better suspension and more power (although personally, I think that shifting the fairing forward three inches spoilt the bike).

If the K75 had been kept in production, given a Paralever rear-end, taken to 900cc and four valves per cylinder, I doubt that the early ones would fetch much either.

If the K75 had been kept in production, given a Paralever rear-end, taken to 900cc and four valves per cylinder, I doubt that the early ones would fetch much either.

Like many others I would love to have had an updated K900. The best bike BMW never made!

Gosh its terrible. Give you 50 quid for it?
Well as I've just fitted this;

K75S-86-M.jpg

K75S-85-M.jpg

I'd have to ask a bit more for it I'm afraid. ;)

Hi tech cruise control :thumb2 (Just like old Guzzis :)).

Andres
Andres, all the job bikes had them (so arm signals could be given without the throttle snapping shut). I've always fitted one if none present and like a heavy throttle action. It makes things smoother IMO.

As an aside, when I took my mate's R80/7 for its last MoT the tester advised that the throttle was 'sticking'. He was amazed to be shown the throttle stop screw. :D

I was disappointed to find that later BMW's had no facility to fit one. None of the various offerings work as well as that simple screw.

A simple screw.
Many's the mans problems have been resolved or created by just that;
A simple screw.

:augie

Having fitted the new clutch and while checking stuff, I discovered that the clutch pushrod gaiter is split so while waiting for the new one, some cleaning, if not actual polishing was in order, starting with the swing-arm and FD:

K75S-91-M.jpg

K75S-92-M.jpg

I was tempted to paint these as I did with my old 75C. I thought that I'd have a go at restoring the castings first (and as this bike won't have to be used on salty roads, a coat of polish and decent cleaning should keep the aluminium from going furry).

Couldn't resist doing the gearbox too.

K75S-93-M.jpg

:)

Note to Self ! .............. buy .........next ............bike ...........from .......MikeP :p

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

OK, you've me convinced now...when do you want the K1 dropping off....:D
I cannot believe that even I could find much that needs doing on a bike with so little mileage but I could always put some miles on it so that it needs it. :D

My new loan turd doesn't need polishing - the finish on the ali is superb for a 26 year old bike used all year round.

301cwlw.jpg

My new loan turd doesn't need polishing - the finish on the ali is superb for a 26 year old bike used all year round.

301cwlw.jpg
Do you sweep the bits in to the corner as they drop off :D:D:D

301cwlw.jpg
That's the best RT screen they fitted. I never understood why they changed to the "LT" version and if they'd stuck with that early version there'd never have been any need for that crappy electric one that added so much weight and nearly always suffered seized motors within a short time.

That would buff up nicely (in the right hands ;)).

Do you sweep the bits in to the corner as they drop off :D:D:D
:yelrotflm

First thing today, postie deposited this odd-shaped package in my grubby hands.

K75S-94-M.jpg

Is it?

K75S-95-M.jpg

Yay! :JB

Been after a later version main stand for ages (I kept looking for one when I had my old K75C). There's an ebay seller who has lots of "new old stock" but he was asking £100 for one. I got this one for £21. :thumb2

Why do this modification? Well the two-footed version is easier to use, easier to spin the bike on in the garage, less prone to corrosion as the "umbrella handle" type can let water past the rubber bungs and the stand corrodes from the inside out. The first an owner might know is that it snaps and the bike takes a lie down.

On top of those things, the later one has beefier mountings, there are grease nipples for lubrication of the pivot bearings and the latter have two O-rings to keep the grease in place.

K75S-96-M.jpg

Spot the bodge in the above?

Yep. Two Allen screws holding the thing together instead of the counter-sunk ones.

K75S-97-M.jpg

In the 2nd photo (above) you can see that the side stand springs are fouling the head of the Allen screw.

Early and later type comparison;

K75S-98-M.jpg

The side stands are identical. I was surprised to see that the later one also has the side stand retractor. It was deleted on later bikes.

The older one (off the Turd) is in better nick.

K75S-99-M.jpg

I cleaned everything up and picked the best bits. I'll use the later pivot bushes (seen here without the O-rings);

K75S-100-M.jpg

The chosen parts;

K75S-101-M.jpg

Main stand prepared for first coat of paint;

K75S-102-M.jpg

First coat applied (that's why I'm typing this with a cuppa and a slice of lemon drizzle cake waiting for it to go off before I risk stirring up dust);

K75S-104-M.jpg

Just had an email with a quote for the fairing and belly-pan re-spray. Very reasonable too. I think I'll go ahead with that.

Oh well back to the grindstone. :rolleyes:

To round the day off, a nice UPS man just left a package containing this:

K75S-105-M.jpg

K75S-106-M.jpg

No more :bounce1 for the Turd. :)

Back
Top Bottom