Can a bike run without a battery?

Kritou

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have an elderly Suzuki SP370 (kickstart only) that I keep overseas. It gets left for up to six months at a time and consequently the battery has bee kaput for the past ten years

Can I replace the 6v battery with some circuitry that will allow the lights and horn to function normally when the engine is running?

You can certainly run the engine without battery. Not sure about the lights and horn. Try looking on website called classicsuzukithumpers, lots of electrical threads on there

Depends on the bike. Some just need the battery for lights when not running - on others its an integral part of the ignition circuitry and wont run without it.
Best way to find out is to give it a try.
However even if the latter, all is not lost though - you can fit a battery eliminator. Do a google search.

Though the easiest way is to keep the battery - I would say that 6 mnths is not really a problem. Just make sure its charged and then disconnect it before you store it. Bet there will be plenty charge to get you away when you come back (as its a kickstart).

As above.
Some ignitions need a supply to get excited. I have a 76 CZ here that will not run without a battery, yet it has real simple ignition electrics.

Yet, an XR250/400/600 runs without a battery and using a CDI system....

Try disconnecting the if you have a spark when you kick it over.

I'd be extremely surprised if it will run without a battery - even if you disconnected the battery once the engine was running.

Al :)

Had a 250 hustler in the 70's, some cnut stole the battery.......
yes it would start and run (lights etc included) but eventually burnt the coils out:blast

Simple answer is "Yes" you just need a wee circuit board to bolt between your batetry terminals.

I'm guessing youve never owned an enduro or trail bike?

You'd be guessing correctly............ :blast

Is there some sort of smoothing circuitry included when there is no battery fitted though?

Al

Is there some sort of smoothing circuitry included when there is no battery fitted though?

Al

On the SP370, it could be a condensor (with points on early bikes) or a capacitor discharge based igniter pack.

I'd be extremely surprised if it will run without a battery - even if you disconnected the battery once the engine was running.

Al :)

Some ignitions need a supply to get excited. I have a 76 CZ here that will not run without a battery, yet it has real simple ignition electrics.

Yet, an XR250 runs without a battery and using a CDI system....

I've got one of those XR's, no battery required

I've also got another really clever bike, which has electronic Fuel injection, CDi etc and doesn't need/have a battery - it is really state of the art, with batteryless Fi..............Made by Honda:clap

Al
There is on most bikes, in the form of a reg rec, which converts the generator output into smooth d.c.

Battery less

Hi
In the 80's there used to be a box to replace the battery that would allow you to run lights etc without blowing the bulbs..
We used to sell them. loads of of them used on DT 175 Yams and the like with 6 volts systems and self generating ignition systems.
But I can not recall the name of the unit but I am sure you still can get the modern equivalent.
Boyer do a power box I believe but it maybe be for 12 v ?
I have looked and it will convert 6v to 12V so you could end up with better lights ?
Read some of this ( you could ring Boyer up and see what they say !
http://www.gremlinracetech.com/product/BBPBU

Not quite sure of the charging system on the SP but I think it was single phase , I thought it had direct lighting though so you may only need so sort of volatage stabliser .

Perhaps you need to look up on the world wide wait Battery eliminator there is loads on there about using capacitors and eliminator kits.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycl...74?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2ebf138096

just what you need ?

Thanks gentlemen for all the advice - have written to rexspeedshop - will post the results

Back
Top Bottom