Bilco's Alaska Adventure

We haven't even left yet......

1150GS 1 - 1200GS 0 :green gri

No doubt I'll end up eating my words :D

f396190a.jpg

:eek: all this for a left hand LED indicator that stopped working

a607ae63.jpg

Stunning Chris - our thoughts are with you guys. Have a fantastic time and DON'T even bother thinking about the poor plebs here on the mud-isle!

Enjoy and ride safe! :thumb

Stunning Chris - our thoughts are with you guys. Have a fantastic time and DON'T even bother thinking about the poor plebs here on the mud-isle!

Enjoy and ride safe! :thumb

Who? Where?

Mike volunteered to be courier and the Santa Rosa BMW dealership had a unit in stock so the bike is going back togther just now.

It should be said that the first problem was an 1150 that wouldn't start. Colin had taken Chris at his word when he said that we should run our tanks as low as possible. A gallon of go-juice saw it singing happily.

It was 83F, 28C by mid day. It's so tough.

Whilst the guys were sorting their bikes, me and my cousin James had a quick blast to Jenner on the coast on some of the finest GS roads I've ever ridden:D No pics because stopping would have ruined the ride but the coffee in Jenner was superb and I've never seen it made like this.

A balloon festival is going on so caught a couple flying overhead. It's tough in California:Motomartin

Attachments

• Coffee.JPG
    Coffee.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 644
  • Coffee1.JPG
    Coffee1.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 643
  • Coffee2.JPG
    Coffee2.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 651
As we are off in the morning, we had a nice relaxing BBQ at James and Polly's new house in windsor CA or my American residence as I like to call it:D For those who came in 2010 you will remember the lethal Margarita's Polly serves but everyone was riding this year so great burgers, sticky chicken and fresh sweetcorn had to suffice. I think Boatman was enjoying his grub:thumb

Attachments

• BBQ.JPG
    BBQ.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 641
  • BBQ1.JPG
    BBQ1.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 640
  • BBQ2.JPG
    BBQ2.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 643
  • BBQ3.JPG
    BBQ3.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 636
  • BBQ4.JPG
    BBQ4.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 639
Trip One

Got off the 747 last night and hit the wall of 100 degree California heat as we went over the Golden Gate bridge. Beats our summer hands down!!

Feck me.
Last saturday i'm standing next to him drinking tea and eating doughnuts in a draughty old chicken shed in the west midlands while it's blowing a gale outside and cold enough for thermals.
The following saturday i'm reading about him suffering in the 100 degree heat of california.

Jealous, me. :D

Feck me.
Last saturday i'm standing next to him drinking tea and eating doughnuts in a draughty old chicken shed in the west midlands while it's blowing a gale outside and cold enough for thermals.
The following saturday i'm reading about him suffering in the 100 degree heat of california.

Jealous, me. :D

It depends where you are in Cali - we had 117F in the Mojave Desert down to 52F in Carmel in the past couple of weeks :D

When will you chaps be in Alaska? I'm in Whitehorse at the moment having travelled up here from Ushuaia over the last seven months. Going to Fairbanks in the morning and then touring Alaska before heading to New York and home to Newcastle.

Would be nice to have a drink with you one evening somewhere. :beerjug:

Blimey, talk about downplaying an epic trip. Do you have a blog or whatever they are called ?? :clap

Blimey, talk about downplaying an epic trip. Do you have a blog or whatever they are called ?? :clap

No I haven't done a blog as I've seen too many slaves to a blog - I email my friends, and others I've met who've expressed an interest about our journey.

I didn't want to interfere with the Alaska trip, I just thought it would be nice to have a drink with the guys.:nenau

I'll see if I get an invite ..... nothing yet.

I'll see if I get an invite ..... nothing yet.

This is our planned itinery, any help?

Tomorrow Wed20th we're riding Clinton to Vanderhoof

Thu 21st to Hyder

Fri 22nd out & about, back to Hyder

Sat 23rd to Watson Lake

Sun 24th to Haines Junction

Mon 25th to Fairbanks

Tue 26th Day off :D prepping bikes

Wed 27th to Wiseman

Thu 28th to Prudhoe Bay (some possibly going back to Wiseman)

Fri 29th to Fairbanks

Sat 30th Day off clean bikes :D

Sun 1st thru Chicken to Dawson

Mon 2nd Day off in Dawson

Tue 3rd to Teslin

Wed 4th to Toad River

Thu 5th to Dawson Creek

Fri 6th to Jasper

Sat 7th to Banff

Sun 8th to Waterton National Park

Mon 9th to Hungry Horse

Just had a cracking day from Bellingham US to Clinton BC. Met Mike, the owner of The Caribou Lodge, really nice guy :thumb2

Way behind with this report as no web for a few days and to be honest, after a beer and some good grub, sleep comes too easily:D

We left Santa Rosa as scheduled and ran up the PCH which is as pretty as ever and a lovely ride. Forget the piece from SF to LA, the northern section is stunning with quiet roads and stunning shoreline. The last 25 miles are amongst the vest riding anywhere and easily rival Deals gap for scrubbing the edges off the tyres. These K60's have damned good grip.

Attachments

• Ready to go from Santa Rosa.JPG
    Ready to go from Santa Rosa.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 572
  • Kev on PCH.JPG
    Kev on PCH.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 575
  • PCH.JPG
    PCH.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 576
  • Fort Bragg burger.JPG
    Fort Bragg burger.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 569
  • Stewarts Point.JPG
    Stewarts Point.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 573
Had a quick ride around the giant Redwoods in Humbolt county and they are staggering. No matter how many times you see them, they still inspire awe.

Attachments

• Avenue of the giants.JPG
    Avenue of the giants.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 571
  • Big Redwood.JPG
    Big Redwood.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 569
  • Big tree 2.JPG
    Big tree 2.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 571
After a very hot and sweaty day across central California and up into Oregon, we went to see Mt St Helens. After a man sized breakfast (I can recommend steak and eggs) at a blinding cafe, we rode toward the summit on a brilliant road in rain and fog and to our bad luck, the cloud base was about 500ft too low to see the volcano's crater. The visitor centre was nice and warm though and we managed to produce a tosser sized tremor of our own. I think the machine is for kids really but there is nothing like jumping on something just to see what happens:thumb Oh, the K60's are great in the rain.

misty st helens.JPG

breakfast near st helens 1.JPG

breakfasy nr st helens.JPG

Back
Top Bottom