Bilco's Alaska Adventure

After Mt St helens, we rode up past Seattle to Bellingham and to describe our motel as the bottom end of the market would be an understatement:augie The 2 $5 hookers who were leaving as we checked in looked like something from a horror movie. I've booked them for Skygod on the next trip as a surprise so please don't tell him;). Anyhow, we survived the ordeal and woke up to a wet day and a cracking cup of coffee served by the smiliest server ever. She even kept smiling when Packer ordered his espresso:thumb Up to the border which didn't open until 8am. How very civilized:thumb

After negotiating Vancouver we rode up the Sea to the Sun Highway past Whistler which is nothing short of magnificent:D

Attachments

• coffee in bellingham.JPG
    coffee in bellingham.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 567
  • coffee in bellingham1.JPG
    coffee in bellingham1.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 564
  • canadian border.JPG
    canadian border.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 567
  • r99.JPG
    r99.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 567
  • route 99.JPG
    route 99.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 568
More pictures from route 99 and really show's Canada at it's best. The river is the McKenzie and is very full with melt water. No drought here........

Attachments

• mackenzie river at lillouet.JPG
    mackenzie river at lillouet.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 562
  • lake on r99.JPG
    lake on r99.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 558
  • lake on r991.JPG
    lake on r991.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 562
  • Lake on r992.JPG
    Lake on r992.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 558
  • lake on r993.JPG
    lake on r993.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 560
No I haven't done a blog as I've seen too many slaves to a blog - I email my friends, and others I've met who've expressed an interest about our journey.

I didn't want to interfere with the Alaska trip, I just thought it would be nice to have a drink with the guys.:nenau

I'll see if I get an invite ..... nothing yet.

And what emails and photos!!!:clap:clap:clap

That’s some adventure Bilco, watch out for them Elk’s ‘n’ Bears :D :thumb2

Great report, it gives me a feeling of nostalgia having lived in San Rafael and used the wine country as a playground. Enjoy

drove the road back from Prince Rupert a few years ago to Vancouver, and drove from Vancouver down to Nevada, you sure have been riding some beautiful routes. Look forward to hearing the rest of this one.

Not. Envious. At. All. :D

Jon wrote:

"Just had a cracking day from Bellingham US to Clinton BC. Met Mike, the owner of The Caribou Lodge, really nice guy"

Can't believe it. My wife and I were speaking to Mike at the side of the road photographing sheep !!!! He is a lovely man.

Thanks for the itinerary. I will be able to meet you all ...... fantastic.

i'm in Prudhoe Bay at this very moment and am starting back for Fairbanks tomorrow. I too was going to rest up a bit at Fairbanks so I can meet you on the night of 25th at your lodgings. Looking forward to meeting some real gentlemen.

Bob

After R99, I found the back road road across to Clinton. This road is shut in winter and only a few weeks ago it was 3 feet in snow. Us rufty tufty adventure riders braved it and it was a fantastic route through forest and across the high plains. Not too many pics because it was very slippy in places and the guys on tourances did a brilliant job staying on especially on the very steep descents:eek:

Anyway, no dramas and we got to the Cariboo Lodge in one piece where Mike the owner made us very welcome. If for any reason you are on the 97 north on the way to Prince George, call in as you will be made very welcome. Good beer and food, lovely rooms at a more than sensible price:thumb

Pics may help:D

Attachments

• Frazer river overlook.JPG
    Frazer river overlook.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 612
  • really rugged.JPG
    really rugged.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 606
  • slippy road to clinton1.JPG
    slippy road to clinton1.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 608
  • slippy road tp Clinton.JPG
    slippy road tp Clinton.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 608
  • Cariboo Lodge1.JPG
    Cariboo Lodge1.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 611
Sat here at work watching the rain outside. This report cheered me up.:beerjug:

drove the road back from Prince Rupert a few years ago to Vancouver, and drove from Vancouver down to Nevada, you sure have been riding some beautiful routes. Look forward to hearing the rest of this one.

Not. Envious. At. All. :D
Done a lot of touring around that part Vancuver island, ferry from Port Hardy up to Prince Rupert down to Jasper, Banff, Glacier National Park, Lake Louise. Fantastic scenery and quiet roads friendly people we have some great memories. Enjoy it. 1O weeks till we head off to Yellowstone, The beartooth highway,Mount Rushmore, The Badlands, three weeks touring

Do not fuck around with the traffic girls up here :eek: 45 calibre bear gun and pepper spray for protection:thumb

All I'll say she was damned sexy with that gun in her hand:D

Attachments

• Traffic girl2 .JPG
    Traffic girl2 .JPG
    88 KB · Views: 487
  • Traffic Girl.JPG
    Traffic Girl.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 489

Back
Top Bottom