Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wapping's Wanders 2012 - Verdun, Vosges, Dijon etc. 25 August - 02 September

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Wapping's Wanders 2012 - Verdun, Vosges, Dijon etc. 25 August - 02 September

This is a re-post of an earlier invitation, for which I still have some spare places.

Train out: Saturday 25 August - Departs at 07:42 (this train time has changed since I booked in February, so take the next later one, please)

Train back: Sunday 02 September - Departs at 17:50 (this train time is still current)

The whole jaunt is an extended hybrid of several Wanders I have made before, which seemed to go down well with assorted Wanderers.

What's in store?

A decent ride down to Verdun, for three nights. Plenty of good roads in the area and / or all the WW1 stuff to see.

A longer but good ride down to near enough Colmar, for four nights. From our hotel we can ride out in assorted directions: The Vosges (which is France's equivalent of the Black Forest) or cross the Rhine into the Black Forest area of Germany and / or trundle down to Switzerland. There is also the Schlumpf motor museum http://citedelautomobile.com/en/home or the Rhine Falls http://rhinefalls.com/ for a day-out if anyone fancies either of those.

A decent two-day ride back up to Calais, staying overnight near Dijon.

Hotels will all be privately run Logis establishments, that I have used before.

http://www.villagegaulois.com/

http://www.aubergedubrand.com/

http://www.lebourguignon.com

Suitable for? Anyone who can ride a motorcycle, so new tourists are very welcome. I will create suitable Garmin route suggestions for each day, or participants are free to do their own thing. We can use the 'marker drop-off' system when we all ride together, so nobody need get lost. By-and-large punters on past Wanders have all been happy with the daily mileages and we have certainly seem 'tour virgins' riding come on during the jaunts. In short, it's not a 24 hour race, it's a holiday, with just a bit of 'push' to make sure we all get to where we need to be going in reasonable order.

For anyone who comes from further afield than the SE corner of England and has half an eye on the departure time, I am happy to make them a booking in France for the Friday evening and / or there are several B&B's or hotels in the Folkestone area.

I have 'sold' four bike slots (one with a pillion) plus me, so five bikes in all so far. I could probably accommodate say three (one with a pillion) or maybe four more, if anyone is interested, particularly if anyone wanted to share a room.

Richard

Hi Richard, Any places left ? Willing to share a room. Ian

Right ho....

Updated list

DEFINITE

Wapping
    Mr & Mrs Bryn
    iand46
    Mr & Mrs Taylor (via another site)
    Paula (via another site)
    Stuart Daniels (via another site)

MAYBE / PLACES RESERVED

Dakar
    JohnnyBoxer

This will just about fill the Wander up

Richard

PS Bryn is going over the evening before, staying in a B&B I have reserved at Cap gris nez. I am happy to see if they have any spare rooms if anyone is interested.

UPDATED

DEFINITE

Wapping
    Mr & Mrs Bryn
    iand46
    Paula (via another site)

MAYBE / PLACES RESERVED

Dakar

Looks like I have a spare place, if someone wants to share.

Updated

I have received re-confirmation of our hotel bookings near Verdun and Colmar

Just waiting to hear from the hotel near Dijon.

The overnight stop at Cap gris nez on the way out for Bryn and iand46 has been confirmed already

DEFINITE - Final

Wapping
    Mr & Mrs Bryn
    iand46
    Paula (via another site)

Richard

Update

Phil Reader (from another site) will be joining us Sunday thro' Friday.

Normal set of other tossers booked on a later train on the saturday Richard but may see you in the terminal for a coffee, bank holiday in the ardennes for us.

Have a good un
    LBL

Life's too short.

You too, me ol' fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    Update

Phil Reader (from another site) will be joining us Sunday thro' Friday.
    Yeah, and I cant wait, thanks for squeezing me in Richard

Just back from the 'Olympic Avoidance Tour ' with ChasMill of this parish, Mrs ChasMill and son, Rory.

Will get on the case of tidying this jaunt up ASAP. Not least, finding us a hotel for our last night's stay.

Richard

Hotel for our last night's stay now confirmed

Hi Richard hope you had a good trip. Looking forward to our trip,not long to go.

Really looking forward to the trip now, just counting the days.

Richard, can you remember where the Concentration Camp is? just north of some big hill?

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by phil954 View Post
    Really looking forward to the trip now, just counting the days.

Richard, can you remember where the Concentration Camp is? just north of some big hill?

Phil
    Check out this website http://wlc.drake.edu/wordpress/frenc...tle-of-verdun/

Quote Originally Posted by phil954 View Post

Phil
    I have got it marked on the GPS. I went past it a while ago and blipped it in at the time.

========================================

Routes etc. will be posted tonight, along with a suggestion as to where we can meet up with Bryn and Ian who are staying at Cap Gris Nez the night before.

Breakfast in Cap Gris Nez doesn't get going until about 08:30, which is fine as we lose an hour (plus at least 45 minutes travel time) just crossing on the train.

Now awaiting the return of my 1600 which overheated in the Dolomites......

Quote Originally Posted by iand46 View Post
    Thanks Ian,
    Really looking forward to the trip now, see you all on Sunday afternoon/early Evening.

Hotels Richard? Are they the ones on a previous post?

Phil

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast