12v power filter needed to remove noise from autocom

Where is the noise coming from?
If from another unit, ie satnav, make sure that both units are from the same power point. I had very loud interference, changed so that both units were from aux plug, and the noise was gone

Ground Loop Isolation

I have routed all aux stuff through a fuse panel (see Nippy Normans) so everything shares the same power and earth source. Not had a problem.

Otherwise you need to look for a Ground Loop Isolator. Autocom do their own.

tom

I have routed all aux stuff through a fuse panel (see Nippy Normans) so everything shares the same power and earth source. Not had a problem.

Otherwise you need to look for a Ground Loop Isolator. Autocom do their own.

tom

thanks Tom,

I hadnt read your post in time but did figure out that it may have been a ground loop. The radio to comms lead needed some isolation so a optocoupler for the PTT, and two 1:1 transformers from 2 old modems, a little perf board, some burnt fingers and swearing later and I have a working solution.

Im still suffering from overdeviation, the Autocom is overdriving the audio a little so im going to fit a voltage divider circuit on the mic line to give me some adjustability on the comms cable. I tried adjusting the internal pot in the autocom but I cant seem to get it right.

I rang autocom twice and I'm dissapointed to say they were useless, sold me stuff which didnt help and gave me poor advice. When I have it running perfectly I will take some time to share with them a complaint and the info that they should have given me so they can help any other poor souls suffering from the same problem.

Back
Top Bottom