Crossing the Russian border

Barley-Mow

Reaction score
I've just returned from a 3,500 mile return trip to Novgorod, Russia, outwards via Vilnius and back via Tartu (Estonia) and Riga (Latvia).

I entered Russia on the road from Rezekne, Latvia to Ostrov. The visa procedure has been covered else where. Here's what actually happens at the border.

1. Make sure you have a working ballpoint pen or two with you and some Roubles in cash.

2. Make sure you have a new style photocard driving licence. The only issue of my entire trip was the Latvian border police who insisted my old style green driving licence was invalid in Europe. They were not interested at all in my IDP

3. Have ready your passport, V5 and driving licence. It will also be helpful to have a separate note handy of your vehicle's VIN number, date of first registration and exact cc for the customs form.

4. Don't waste time and money trying to get insurance before you cross. If you can at all it'll be very expensive.

You first have to exit Latvia and have to show all three documents to the Latvian police and border authorities.

Once cleared, you then drive forward some way to the Russian border station.

At the first control box you show your passport and are given a short form in two parts which you have to fill in about you, your vehicle and your trip. The information on both halves must be the same. This is then taken, stamped, torn in two and you are given one half. You MUST retain this throughout your trip and be ready to hand it in when you exit Russia. If not you'll have trouble. Your passport is then returned and you drive forward to Russian customs.

Here you are given two copies of a two sided A4 size customs declaration to complete. It's available in English so if you happen to be given a Russian one just ask. Please take time to read it carefully and fill it in correctly. Any errors or crossings out will mean you have to start again with a new form. You have to complete two identical copies. In general terms, if you are only taking your vehicle, normal personal belongings and your own cash you don't need to specifically declare anything.

When you've done this correctly both forms will be taken and one stamped and handed back to you. Again you MUST retain this for production when you exit. Your vehicle may be inspected - mine wasn't - probably because I'm an old git.

You then go forward to another booth where your passport is again checked and when you are allowed through you are in Russia.

As you drive forward you will see immediately on your right a filling station and shop. Stop there and go in the shop. Immediately to the left of the entrance is a guy sitting at a desk with a laptop and printer. He's the insurance man and he spends his life issuing policies. He will want to see your passport and your V5 but strangely, not your licence. He will then quote you a price and on payment (cash) issue a policy. You will have lots of pages to sign. The policy is of course in Russian and comes with the usual policy booklet etc in a plastic wallet, very much as happens here.

I was on a 15 year old R1100RT and only staying for 5 days. My policy covered 2 weeks, which I think may be a minimum period or a safety margin, and cost 720 roubles. That's about £15. You have to get used to big numbers in Russia as the rouble's worth about 2.2p at the moment.

Armed with that you're all done and away you go.

Note the following:

You may be asked by the border people to clarify which part of the address on your V5 is the post town. I don't think they're overly familiar with British documents

Don't worry about glum looks or endless requests to do fresh copies of forms, just get on with it. When all was correct I suddenly got a big smile and a hearty "Welcome to Russia"

When you exit (I left via Narva) you will have to hand in the other half of the small passport form. You will also have to hand in to Russian customs the stamped customs declaration you made on entry and then complete two copies of a fresh identical form and hand them in.

It took me 2 hours to get through going in, mainly because I messed up the customs form twice and then of course had to get my vehicle insurance as well, and one hour coming out, mainly because of queues at Narva on the Estonian side.

Bear in mind that you must exit Russia before your Visa expires and it will only have been granted for the exact period you are in Russia, there are no days of grace. So if, like me, you're travelling entirely on your own, have an exit plan in case you have a breakdown.

Most UK insurers don't extend European breakdown cover to Russia but the RAC do a breakdown policy that covers cars and bikes of any age in Russia west of the Urals.

And finally, you can apply for your Visa any time within reason, you don't have to wait until 3 months before you travel so get in early. I used the online form then applied to VFS the official agency who were extremely helpful and patient. My main problem was getting the invitation correctly worded. Do remember to ask for an auto tourism visa, not just a tourist visa and make sure your invitation says the same.

As far as I'm aware none of the passport or customs forms mentioned above at the border are available online, you have to fill them in there and then at the border.

Was it worth it all - you bet. Russia is the most wonderful place to visit, people are generally curious but most welcoming, and Novgorod must be one of its best kept secrets - it's a really beautiful city and the place where the Russian state was born. It has it all - wonderful monuments and churches, a fine river with lovely embankments, well maintained parks and gardens, even a proper beach with umbrellas and beach volleyball. And where else but Russia would you find a magazine that had 10 pages of the sports section devoted to chess.

As for the roads, just mention the subject to any Russian and you'll get a wry smile. They are by turns fine and more awful than you can possibly imagine, irrespective of road category. Believe all the dreadful things you've read and then some. But Russia is an immense country, the inheritance of soviet days seems to be an infrastructure that is utterly worn out, plus a fairly limited window of suitable weather for repairs. They are working hard at improving things, though it's an enormous task. In short they're ideal territory for a GS.

I must also say I found no problems at all with any of the driving I encountered anywhere in Russia or the Baltic states. Once you get used to local ways it's all perfectly fine. Just don't panic the first time you see a lorry coming towards you in a cloud of dust on the opposite side of the road and a car emerging from the cloud down the middle of the road. Just move over. But you must at all times stay alert and keep your eye on the ball, and the road ahead. You cannot afford to let your attention wander for a moment.

Go there, see for yourself. Now.

John Gudgeon

the thing I liked was when they got animated about the green card not being green, I'd forgotten I'd photoshoped some onto green paper... so I explained how nice England was, they should visit and that as they'll have noticed the cars steering wheel was on the wrong side.... to which they all say "DA DA" pointing and laughing....

"which was why our green cards are white...!":thumb2

after that they all laughed... of you go.... tovarisch...!

I so need to go back Russia it's such a cool place and massive!

Don't worry about glum looks or endless requests to do fresh copies of forms, just get on with it. When all was correct I suddenly got a big smile and a hearty "Welcome to Russia"

Go there, see for yourself. Now.

the thing I liked was when they got animated about the green card not being green, I'd forgotten I'd photoshoped some onto green paper... so I explained how nice England was, they should visit and that as they'll have noticed the cars steering wheel was on the wrong side.... to which they all say "DA DA" pointing and laughing....

"which was why our green cards are white...!":thumb2

after that they all laughed... of you go.... tovarisch...!

I so need to go back Russia it's such a cool place and massive!

+1 :thumb

Just remember to slow down for those police (ДПС) check points.

I'll be going into Russia in August and then onto Mongolia. Going in through Georgia and the Caucasus. Exiting via the Baltics. Your border process will be useful. Russia is covered by the green card but getting one is a challenge. I've written to my insurance provider begging for one.

I'll be going into Russia in August and then onto Mongolia. Going in through Georgia and the Caucasus. Exiting via the Baltics. Your border process will be useful. Russia is covered by the green card but getting one is a challenge. I've written to my insurance provider begging for one.

Not all Green Cards cover Russia or the Ukraine. But don't worry too much. If you can't get one (and my understanding is that few UK insurers will provide cover for Russia or the Ukraine), there are booths at the border that sell them. It's quite normal and they aren't expensive.

however when we crossed near dogpiss the stupid commie didn't have any motorcycle insurance cover forms... and the cover we bought once I had it translated by some drunken bar lady didn't cover all that much anyway... don't crash or have an accident then you'll be fine...:thumb2

but it's all ace...:D

I'm not worried, if I end up having to buy insurance in Russia I will. But if I can avoid paying for something twice I will. Here's an excerpt of what I've written to my insurer. Hopefully it says, I know what I'm talking about so don't BS me but if you issue me a Green Card I'll be very grateful and will repay with kind words.

...I understand that my insurance policy provides the minimum insurance cover required by law for all countries of the European Union. This is because these states comply with the First Directive on Motor Insurance and therefore a Green Card for these states is not necessary. Likewise, I understand that a Green Card is not necessary for some non-EU countries who are signatory to Section III of the Internal Regulations including Croatia and Switzerland. Moreover, whilst the UK Government website states that not all countries require a Green Card those, on my list of destinations, that do, include Albania, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Turkey, Russia and Morocco.

I realise that you are under no obligation to provide a Green Card for these Section II countries, despite the fact that many insurers do, I would be be incredibly grateful if you could please provide me with one at your earliest convenience. The reason that I so desperately need a Green Card is a practical consideration, even within countries where frontier inspection is no longer required, the Green Card is still the insurance document most readily recognized and understood by national police forces and other local authorities. I may need to produce evidence of insurance other than at a border, i.e. after an accident, as well as at borders themselves. I therefore consider it advisable, indeed vital, to carry a Green Card in order to avoid inconvenience and circumvent any potential problems.

For more information please contact the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB), which administers the Green Card system in the UK.

I would consider it a mark of excellent customer service and a noteworthy gesture of good will if you are able to provide me with the Green Card that I need for my travels. In return I promise to recommend your company far and wide, not only to the vast motorcycle community, of which I am a part, but also the adventure and travel communities; all of which operate on a significant network of personal recommendations, both by word of mouth and online....

Bit cheeky but worth a try... :beerjug:

Mongolian Vias is approved, just waiting for my Russian Visa then I'm off on the 13th July.

Mongolia & Siberia 2012: Adventure Moto Madness

Now that's what I call a trip ! Some of us here in West Norfolk think the journey to Peterborough's a hell of an adventure in itself.

Now that's what I call a trip ! Some of us here in West Norfolk think the journey to Peterborough's a hell of an adventure in itself.

LOL.

I 've had an adventure travelling from Kings Lynn East to Norwich - Massingham, Litcham, Mileham, Bawdeswell, right to Lenwade, Taverham, Costessey......and I'm now here for the day 'working'!

THAT puts 'The Long Way Round' to shame...................and probably without a Film or Back-up Crew! Have a good time, and come back in one piece!

Thanks for taking the time John. Especially useful to me as I am going there in July. One to print out methinks.

I'll be a day behind you Stephen, although we are travelling out on your return route by the looks of it. Otherwise I would have said keep an eye out for a pair of Airheads and we could of pulled over for a Pimms in a very British fashion.

We are only going as far as Irbit (where the Ural factory is) just over the Ural Mountains. There is a big bike show/rally there every year which, if I have the correct weekend we are going to. Not quite sure why I'm travelling 3000 miles to go to a bike show. If it was in my next town I probably wouldn't go but it's somewhere to head for and I've never been to Russia before so what the hell.

THAT puts 'The Long Way Round' to shame...................and probably without a Film or Back-up Crew! Have a good time, and come back in one piece!

Agreed. But am wondering why turn round at Magadan? Why not keep going east, as they did?

Melch,

Sounds interesting, hope you enjoy it. I'd be interested to hear how you get on when you're back. I've had the same idea about Irbit and the Ural factory as an excuse to go further East. Hope your Russian is at least up to reading the signposts - they don't all have alternative, non-cyrillic versions. Also they seem to sign by place names, road numbers are often thin on the ground.

But for that sort of trip, being of the short persuasion, I may have to forsake the faithful 1100RT and try out the 850R.

...keep an eye out for a pair of Airheads and we could of pulled over for a Pimms in a very British fashion.

There is a big bike show/rally there every year which, if I have the correct weekend we are going to.

I'll keep my eye out for you. When and where's the rally? Might go myself if I can?

Agreed. But am wondering why turn round at Magadan? Why not keep going east, as they did?

Time and money. I'd love to carry on going East but it costs too much to ship the bike to the US/Canada: money that I haven't got. Plus, it takes too long... by the time I've shipped the bike, the weather will be turning, especially in Alaska. The time I'd have wouldn't do it justice. Besides that's a future trip: the Pan American.*Doing what I can with what I have.

This way I can explore some more of Europe and maybe a bit of Morocco too. Thinking of putting my bike on the Transiberian railway from Irkutsk to Moscow.

I couldnt get a green card with bm insurance but carol nash would do it at a cost of nearly seven hundred quid a couple of my mates went that route, me an another found a little booth just across the border 20 quid :thumb ps it took
us 5 hours to get across from narva into russia mainly due to the fact that they kept giving us the import forms in russian, I wish id taken a photo of the form would have been handy for future ref, best of luck with your trip.

ps it took
us 5 hours to get across from narva into russia mainly due to the fact that they kept giving us the import forms in russian, I wish id taken a photo of the form would have been handy for future ref, best of luck with your trip.

That's a shame. We did the Narva crossing in under two hours. They tried giving us the forms in German(!?) the first time, but then produced some English ones - so you shouldn't have to fill out Russian forms. I'm assuming you didn't queue at the barrier on the Estonia side. As long as you've paid your bridge toll, the guard will normally lift the gate and wave bikes straight through to the border control.

P.S. Sorry - just re-read your original post re the Russian customs forms.

Melch,

Sounds interesting, hope you enjoy it. I'd be interested to hear how you get on when you're back. I've had the same idea about Irbit and the Ural factory as an excuse to go further East. Hope your Russian is at least up to reading the signposts - they don't all have alternative, non-cyrillic versions. Also they seem to sign by place names, road numbers are often thin on the ground.

But for that sort of trip, being of the short persuasion, I may have to forsake the faithful 1100RT and try out the 850R.

Thanks for the good wishes. I'll let you know how we do and post up some pictures when I'm back.

My Russian sadly isn't up to anything so navigating should be a hoot. Russian maps seem a bit thin on the ground as well. I managed to get a map, but turns out it is a Political map and there's no roads shown on it. Having a political map on me will probably mean I'll get done for being a spy as well. :D

I've got Russian mapping on my sat nav so I'm sure one way or another we'll get by. All part of the fun (I think!).

Back
Top Bottom