Costings to Russia

Barley-Mow

Reaction score
This will be old hat to many but it may help some prople to have an idea.

When I made my trip to Novgorod (see Crossing the Russian Border posting) I booked a return overnight crossing on the Stena ferry Harwich - Hook and had 14 nights in hotels, a few of which were booked direct but most via Booking.com (I don't do camping on this sort of trip). The hotels were all good quality and I have no complaints about any of them. Most expensive was the Volkhov in Novgorod at 7,800 roubles ( that's about £47 a night including breks) which is a first class hotel bang in the centre and very easy to find, first prize goes to the Aleksandri in Tartu whose receptionist when I dripped in after a sodden ride immediately offered a garage for the bike and a fan heater for my room to help with the drying, best value was the Baltpark in Riga, very good facilities, cracking view from the 7th floor roof terrace and £28 a night.

My 1100RT will return at least 45 mpg under all conditions, up to 50 or so when taking it easy so I've assumed 45.

As a rough estimate my 14 nights in hotels including breakfast cost £500, the ferry was £157 return including cabin both ways, and fuel was about £425.

Personally, for a 16 day trip I think that's pretty good value.

I'm currently planning a similar trip, only we'll continue from the Baltics to St Petersburg and then continue to Finland and return via the Turku-Stockholm and Esbjerg - Harwich ferries.

Just wondering whether you had any particular learning experiences you picked up on your trip relating to day to day life on the road in that part of the world, and also whether it was pretty warm most of the time?

I could pretty much quarantee that if you go during and around june you wont have much difference in weatherwise vs uk. Finland and Sweden you will be surprised that it does not get dark at night that time of the year. Traffic in Russia can be...well it's different ;)

Just keep your eyes peeled at all times for the ruts, potholes, canyons etc. in the roads Vee5, don't panic about overtakers coming towards you (see my comments under crossing the border), and if you see a flashing amber traffic light it's equivalent to our amber. If you see a steady amber light you MUST stop. Stay alert, take it steady and you'll be fine. Oh, and plastic seems to be fine at even the remotest fuel stations - suppose it's what the truckers use. Watch out for the big top of the range German 4 by 4s - they're usually fast and furious. Mostly that part of Russia is just like an extension of Europe. I had no hassle with Police, or anyone really. oh, and Motorways or other M roads are often just as bad as other roads so don't be fooled by a sudden stretch of glossy new tarmac - all good things come to an end, often very suddenly !

If you are going to Russia you will also need a visa. They start at about £125.
I have been looking at going north of St Petersburg as I have a relative who was shot by a Bolshevist in 1918 buried in one of the villages. Its made me want to take the trip to go and see his grave.

Back
Top Bottom