Green Card Advice

Melch

Reaction score
Could I ask for some sagely wisdom from those that know more than I please?

I am travelling on my Airhead to Russia in a couple of weeks. I have everything covered (I think) for Russia. We also will be travelling through Holland, Germany, Poland, Lithuania and Latvia to get there. Now my insurance – Classic policy with Footman James, covers me for all of Europe (up to the Russian border).

I was under the impression that you no longer need a Green Card for these countries and just my policy documents will suffice. I seem to be reading in others ride reports mention of Green Cards.

I appreciate I could call my insurance company, but the thought of speaking to some acne infested, disinterested, shit for brains, snot nosed, 16 year old front line insurance bod would not fill me with any kind of confidence.

So, do I need one? Will I be thrown in a Gulag? Will I be shot, or worse? :confused:

Don't listen to me as I know nothing :rolleyes:

But, if I was in the slightest bit concerned about getting one or not then I'd err on the side of caution and contact my insurance company.

Maybe better to have one and not need it than...

I see your point and will call them. It is just I generally wouldn't trust insurance companies with a bag of sweets. Getting correct info would be my concern and not being fobbed off.

Are you crossing into Russia from Latvia A12/M9 road border?
Was a while ago, 2006, but just got insurance at the border going into Russia, very helpfull border staff. Bit of advice I got and found very usefull. Hang on to every scrap of paper, ticket, recipt you are given no matter how much it may look like an old carpark or bingo ticket. Was asked for all sorts of stuff at out of the way check points even on some back roads. Got myself one of those plastic multi leaf folders put everything in then just handed it over at borders/check points so they could find what they wanted. Crossing Russia to Ukraine same thing just got ins at border but Ukrain border much less organised and only place asked for a "gift" from officials. Just chill and whatever you do don't appear to be in a hurry.:D
Have a great trip..

I think we are going via the A12. It'll be the most direct. Thanks for the advice. :beerjug:

You wont get a green card from footman james mate they don't issue em, believe me Iv'e tried, your insurance cert takes its place, if your policy is like mine you will have cover in all memeber states (says on the cert)but only 3rd party, 35 days worth in each trip.

Thanks for all responses! MIB link answers all questions nicely. :beerjug:

When are you going ? I'm off to a rally in the UKRAINE and looking at a similar route, GERMANY-POLAND- UKRAINE, I sail on the 9th july from HULL.

I'm going on the 14th July (Harwich – Hook) so a bit after you. The rally we are going to is in Irbit (where the Ural factory is) Just past the Ural Mountains.

Back
Top Bottom