The GS is dead long live the K1300

Bikerjim

Reaction score
Faced with a repair bill for £1400 (only two payments left) i decided to run for the hills.

My GS had done well to last 24000 miles without needeing a replacement final drive sooner. The bike also had an intermitent ABS problem and needed a new rear disk. It had been used and abused on a daily basis and toured around the Alps.
It had never let me down even though been ridden like a loon.

265068_10150306627327363_4614786_n.jpg

My new pride & Joy is a nice sedate K1300s :rolleyes:
Which im going to try and keep my licence

01bmw-k1300-s.jpg

The good side is im no longer a Ewan wannabe :augie

Jim:thumb

Hi Jim

I've had 4 1200GSA,s over the last 6 years and fancied a change - so I too went for a K1300S HP number 229.

Fantastic bike and I'm not regretting the change one bit.

Off to Germany and France next week on it.

Enjoy the K :beerjug:

Doug

You will enjoy the S
I had one last year and moved the over way back to a GS
One word, oil . They do drink a bit!!

I've done 12000 miles on my K1300S, fantastic engine, you just need to get used to the IL4 coming from a twin.

Mrs YMFB wants a Sargent seat as longer journeys make her a tad tender:eek:

I have had the switchgear on both sides changed under warranty, apart from that it's been faultless. Mine hasn't used a drop of oil in between services.

They didnt do red when I bought mine so went with the faster lava orange !

Enjoy

I have fitted a CF rear hugger, there are other less practical improvements too:)

The only disappointment is the lack of hard luggage and despite what the dealers may have to say, the truth is they cannot understand why the only factory option is the "sports" panniers.

Having ridden a few miles on her im quite impressed :thumb

The throttle is smooth and well ballanced. The protection is alot better than i thought it would and its very stable even in turbulance and a strong side wind.
The only bit im having trouble is the bunched up legs but i suppose im just going to get used to it;) and its not a major problem.
Need to fit a hugger ASAP probably a fender extender and a touring screen for the winter.

396834_10151071476047363_105181799_n.jpg

55mph feels like 25mph :eek: and the accelaration is light speed button :D its cruzing at 85mph and 120mph is easy and probably too easy

The wife said it was smaller than the GS :rolleyes: (meaning slower)

I have a K12S

Frighteningly quick but wonderful to ride...
I have done a few miles and apart from the "power hosing" we got on the way back from Italy to the ferry at Zeebrugge last month I have enjoyed them all...

Its a Blackbird sans finesse and chain.
Will take some re calibrating of the brain from a GS - good luck !

....The only bit im having trouble is the bunched up legs but i suppose im just going to get used to it;) and its not a major problem. ..........

You do know you've got the low seat fitted ? 2 slashes on the side low seat 1 slash high/normal seat.

Had the K12s, lovely bike awesome acceleration, great weather protection, horrendous low speed throttle, but I believe thats sorted on the K13.
ESA great being able to change suspenders a a touch of a button.

Mine had 50k miles on it when I traded it in.

easy to service though they have an odd way of filling the radiator you do it under vacuum.

You do know you've got the low seat fitted ? 2 slashes on the side low seat 1 slash high/normal seat.

Had the K12s, lovely bike awesome acceleration, great weather protection, horrendous low speed throttle, but I believe thats sorted on the K13.
ESA great being able to change suspenders a a touch of a button.

Mine had 50k miles on it when I traded it in.

easy to service though they have an odd way of filling the radiator you do it under vacuum.

Low seat ? apparently not ?
http://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/media/pdf/PL_K_1300_S_GB_03-12-www.pdf

Yep they have sorted the low speed throttle, there is a little surge but nothing bad

Good luck with the new bike - particularly with keeping your licence intact. I had a k1200s and loved riding it, but it wanted to travel at warp speed all the time. The intake roar, exhaust howl and stunning acceleration were addictive (I still have an immaculate bmw titanium can for it if anyone needs one). Mine had ABS servo brakes which were about the best brakes I've ever experienced - could haul the bike down from triple figure speeds seemingly like a drogue 'chute. Swapped it for a 1200GS which is more comfortable and less likely to put me in jail.... but I do miss aircraft carrier launch power. Enjoy! but watch the speedo:thumb
Alan R

German autobahns were fun travelling back with my mate on his Suzuki intruder

suzuki-intruder-m1800.jpg

Jeez - I thought my bike pulled... his had warp speed plus fitted!!

I have to say - the M62 is more fun in Euroland than ours!!

Had a 13R for a week - what weapon! Never thought I needed more power than the HP... now I really want one :blast!

820650557_Qa4jQ-L.jpg

Enjoy your new toy and let us know if last more than a month without getting any points ;-)

I Had one in Lava Orange. Fantastic bike loved it to bits - only sold it because I had a real fear of losing my licence, and my missus suggested that maybe 6 bikes was a bit too much...... really regret selling it now. Go for the Akra end can, makes a fabulous sound, real worthwhile upgrade.

I am seriously considering spending some inheritance and buying another as we speak......but there are so many other bikes out there that I really NEED to have, must get that Ducati bug out of my system maybe......

The only (minor) negative I recall is that I never really trusted the side stand as it seems comedy springy when the bikes weight is on it, and in fact there was some web chat about them falling of it from time to time. Oh, and the fact that it was a tad lardy through close London traffic (but a lot less so that my current GSA)

Enjoy!

I've also made the switch, in fact my K1300 is just having its 600 miles service this morning. After having a 1200GS and then a 1200GSA I enjoyed them both but always felt I wanted a tad more...."something" (if that makes any sense)

Not regretting the move at all, got a great p/x deal on the GSA and I'm loving the 1300, mine is the sport model with all the bells and whistles fitted as standard but the biggest grin factor item is the quick shifter which is a joy to use and sounds fantastic when combined with the GPR can I have fitted

Keeping my licence as others have said will be a major challenge though.......its hard to describe to others just how unbelievably quick this bike is....:eek:

Happy days indeed

F9 :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom