Dolomites and more-or less.....

2 wheel humvee

www.humvee-graphics.com
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As it’s not my turn to do a ride report this is just my edited highlights with accompanying pics to give you, dear readers a sample of our trip until the trip report proper is delivered...............;)

DAY 0 250 ish miles very little of it motorway-no mean feat from mine and Gerry’s location (Barry and Hereford respectively...)

Meet at Folkestone, stop overnight and get an early Eurotunnel train to Calais, not much to report, aside from a punch up in the local pub opposite our Hotel for the night, a Best Western Hotel called The Clifton, pleasant enough, cannot comment on the food as we ate at a local restaurant and left too early to sample the breakfast.

Awaiting the 07.20
002-L.jpg

DAY 1-Calais to Harzé 227 miles
Mark, Jon, Richard, Adrian, Gerry and myself set off from Calais, Gerry has arranged a detour to Mons for a lunch stop-he was stationed here during the Great War apparently-but it’s all changed now.......they allow bikes to park in the main square-a spot that proved elusive for our companions from Ireland :aidan

014-L.jpg

006-L.jpg

Don't knock it it's a work of art :blast
013-L.jpg

There's always one isn't there?
009-L.jpg

We press on, get split up and arrive eventually at Hotel Harze, which looks very agreeable
016-L.jpg

There is some confusion over whether the Hotel can accommodate such a large group for dinner (we are joined tonight by cookie & angi who have travelled via a ferry from Le Harve and Tony & Tras and Connor & Tracy who have travelled from Ireland) and whether or not they have sufficient cool beer, happily they can and they have, we dine quite late but it was worth the wait, pics from the dining table......

cookie & Wessie
027-L.jpg

Wessie, Connor & Tracy, Tras & Tony and Jon 12A
029-L.jpg

Gerry
030-L.jpg

Dinner is served
032-L.jpg

Oscar, Mark & Angi viewed through a wine glass lens......
035-L.jpg

DAY 2-Chateau de Harzé to Haus Am Weinberg 268 mi
Early risers will have noted the day started bright enough and all was well in Bambi's world
017-L.jpg

Soon the sky grew darker and darker and we treated to a storm with spectacular lightning and rain on a biblical scale, once the storm had abaited we commenced our journey on wet roads, I stopped for a breather and to take a pic overlooking the Mosel
040-L.jpg

Although not the first to arrive (Jon12A on the 6 cylinder K1600 and Oscar had arrived before me) Adrian arrived soon after.....
049-L.jpg

I was relieved to arrive at the Hotel and after checking in and taking a refreshing shower watched from my balcony as the others arrived

045-L.jpg

Secure parking? It's right under my balcony :thumb2
046-L.jpg

Refreshing beers in the late afternoon Sun on the terrace
050-L.jpg

Evening dinner
055-XL.jpg

The less cultured end of the table
052-L.jpg

DAY 3-Sankt Martin to Berg 19 208 mi

An early start and the temperature outside is climbing-it's going to be another warm day, I congratulate myself (again) for electing to take my BMW Trailguard suit instead of the Streetguard, tha ability to remove the liner and open the vents of the suit have been very welcome :D
Gerry and I set off together and we were making good progress until we encountered roadworks and diversions :blast
Soon we were on the excellent pass (the name of which escapes me......Schwarzwoldhockstrasse? :nenau ) to Mummelsee where we stopped for a snack and to re-group
062-L.jpg

Coffee and cake were the order of the day, Black Forest Gateau-in the Black Forest? That'll do nicely
060-L.jpg

There was "Tat" aplenty in the "Tat" shop
058-L.jpg

Mark and a big cock......
059-L.jpg

Tony spotted a photo opportunity.....
063-L.jpg

At this point Tony's partner Tras borrowed my camera after she voluteered to try and get some "on the move" pics from her pillion seat, the results were great (well, I though they were......)
070-L.jpg

Gerry's now departed bike
074-L.jpg

Yours truly
064-L.jpg

Gerry, myself and Jon;
079-L.jpg

Me again.......
084-L.jpg

We stopped to re-group and awaited news of Conor & Tracy's progress, they advised us to go on
095-L.jpg

I spotted this old boy sat outside his house, he looked very absorbed in his work
093-L.jpg

We pressed on and inevitably were split up again and arrived at Guesthouse Hubertus
101-L.jpg

We were joined by Neil23, Rivedell (David) and Norm (Kev) who were en-route to Croatia but would stay with our group for 3 nights, the "yellow" end of the car park got a little busy.....
096-XL.jpg

As we sat down for dinner a storm lit up the night sky and it rained and rained and then it rained some more, when I arrived I had left my neck buff and gloves on the seat of the bike for an airing after the hot and humid weather of the afternoon :blast
110-L.jpg

Pre dinner beers on the terrace;
099-Copy-L.jpg

Pics from the dinner table;
102-L.jpg

106-L.jpg

107-L.jpg

103-Copy-L.jpg

115-L.jpg

DAY 4-Berg to La Villa in Badia 20 274 mi

Garmin suggested 6 hours 34 mins for today's route, Oscar and I made a fairly early start and made good progress escaping the towns and exploited the opportunities to pass slower moving commuter traffic where possible, we stopped for a pic or two and probably lost most of our gains :rolleyes:
119-L.jpg

The temperature was climbing and the dark grey cloud was slowly disappearing
118-L.jpg

We stopped for coffee at he charming Via Salina Hotel on the shores of Lake Constance (Bodensee)
120-L.jpg

128-L.jpg

Coffee and apple strudel with vanilla sauce was served
125-L.jpg

By a waitress with ample charm ;)
124-L.jpg

Passes today included the Oetztal, Fernpass, Obrjoch, Jaufenpass, Timmelsjoch and more- a great day's riding and not enough pics-must have been good :augie
The cash collector at this toll road was straight out of charm school :rolleyes:
134-L.jpg

The views were worth the Euro, I let my fellow travellers do their own thing and stopped many times to take lots of pics;

138-L.jpg

139-L.jpg

137-L.jpg

141-L.jpg

143-L.jpg

smugshot5838854-L.jpg

Our next hotel was the Hotel Cristallo, recommended by fellow tosser JB
256-L.jpg

End of part one-more tomorrow :comfort

Good report so far. Bike looks good, especially with those black panniers, and it's about time Gerry had some decent panniers :D:D.

I have to ask are the black Adv panniers painted or wrapped and who did them. They finish of the triple black perfectly.

Very thorough for "edited highlights" :thumb2

You're probably right, I'll end by saying we rode some more,drunk a lot more and talked even more shite, The End. ;)

+1 :thumb
And great pics too -well done Steve!:aidan

Cheers :beerjug:

Don't make me:tears

Looks great:thumb

You would have loved every minute :JB

Nice photos, looks like a fantastic trip.
It was :thumb2

Good report so far. Bike looks good, especially with those black panniers, and it's about time Gerry had some decent panniers :D:D.
Thanks Mike, Gerry's bike is no more and the luggage is now up for sale-I think :nenau

Excellent. can't wait for part 2 :D
Working myself up to it ;)

I have to ask are the black Adv panniers painted or wrapped and who did them. They finish of the triple black perfectly.

Wrapped, done by a friend in the trade, I'm quite happy with the result but they are by no means perfect, my (in the trade) friend is/was not happy with the finish and knew it would not be an easy job, needless to say he doesn't want to see another set of GSA Ali luggage anytime soon :eek

New Bike

Got one of these

Quadruple Black :D

cheers

Gerry H.

Attachments

• black_triumph_bonneville_1536x1024.jpg
    black_triumph_bonneville_1536x1024.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 913
DAY 5-Rideout 1 21 140 mi (optional or suggested route)
Most of us spent 4 days and nights at the Hotel Cristallo, Jon 12A spent only 2 as did team Croatia (Neil, Kev and David) we were joined by Gary (Snow White) for a couple of days and most evening meals and social gatherings, rather than document each day I’ll attempt to summarise with pics and the odd caption.
The suggested rideout took in some great passes including Valparola, Falzarego, Passo Di Giau, Pordoi, Sellajoch and more besides, possibly one of the best day’s rides so far, the weather was great with clear blue skies and temps in the mid to high 20’s, Cristallo is located about 3km from the little town of Corvarro and is ideally located for rideouts in different directions on a daily basis.

Groednerjoch
153-L.jpg

154-L.jpg

155-L.jpg

Sellajoch

158-L.jpg

160-L.jpg

Passo Pordoi
162-L.jpg

165-XL.jpg

I recall 5 of us riding down from Selva Di Cadore line astern at a fairly brisk pace in the high midday temperatures darting in and out of the shade offered by the trees as we neared the valley floor, hairpin after hairpin, my mirrors always filled by the following bikes headlights at varying distances-there were times I thought someone had pinned a target to the back of my jacket, a great ride and one I’ll remember for a long time :thumb2

We stopped at a little cafe for a cool drink, to allow the bikes to cool down and to watch the world go by.....

167-L.jpg

More views from the passes...........

Oscar-the "Lone rider" ;)
178-L.jpg

Plenty of "stickering" opportunities.......
180-L.jpg

184-L.jpg

Mark, bringing Joy to the Dolomites
172-XL.jpg

cookie & angie
174-L.jpg

183-L.jpg

187-L.jpg

188-L.jpg

More about Hotel Cristallo, it has a great wellness centre with pool
210-L.jpg

208-L.jpg

Jacuzzi.....
211-L.jpg

Sauna,steam room and offers full body masages at a reasonable rate-I'm told ;)

The terrace was perfect for post ride de-briefs and tales of the day including Garmin "starburst" discussions...........the Gazebo proved a popular post meal drinking haunt
213-L.jpg

A Garmin de-brief in full swing...
smugshot2449993-L.jpg

Nah......I never went there you must've been off route :rolleyes:
264-L.jpg

The evening dress code was casual, neckerchiefs and cravats were optional.......
261-L.jpg

Tony (Flash of the gap) entertaining the troops-rather good he was too :clap
260-L.jpg

Days 6 & 7 were also optional and suggested as rideouts, most did their own thing and did as much or as little as they pleased, a small group of us walked (yes really-walked...) to Corvarro through the forest trail
220-L.jpg

There were many 1 make car and bike clubs in the area, we happened opon a group of Lancia Delta Integrale's
221-L.jpg

222-L.jpg

Our little group took the cable car......
225-L.jpg

To the top of the mountain....
226-L.jpg

Where we were faced with a long walk to the chair lift
230-L.jpg

This pic of Mark & Gerry makes me chuckle, I guess you had to be there :D
232-L.jpg

Gerry tripped over a "giant boulder" en-route and turned the ankle of his "bad leg" so after cussing loudly he tried a penalty kick on the offending boulder-with his bad leg :roll
Oscar, whilst laughing uncontrollably is trying to capture the image of the offending "boulder" :jes
234-L.jpg

We got the chair lift to the top
243-L.jpg

And sat down for lunch, whilst we waited I messed about with my camera's self timer function
245-L.jpg

Lunch was served, various forms of Schnitzel arrived whilst Gerry had a Euro breakfast meddley with some pickled penis shaped mushrooms :eek
246-L.jpg

It was a tough walk back to the cable car but the views were almost worth the effort
250-L.jpg

Back to the riding................
A small group of us set off to do Day 7's suggested route on day 7 or it might have been day 6 :confused:
A suggested route of 128 miles at a leisurely 4 hours seemed ideal, taking in the passes; Campolongo, Arraba5, Pordoi, Fadeia, Valparola & Falzarego en route to a recommended photograph stop at Lake Misurina,
Views along the way;
189-L.jpg

192-L.jpg

This pic reminded me of David (Rivendell) can't think why.........
193-L.jpg

The briefest of excursions off road....
199-L.jpg

To get a pic
197-L.jpg

On to Lake Misurina for lunch, our first pizza of the trip, lunch was adequate, the views across the lake were anything but.........
202-XL.jpg

Team Croatia (Neil, Kev & David) had departed on their own trip on day 7, Jon12A had been asked to leave the hotel as his midnight serenades in the hotel corridors had scared away local wolf packs*.......home-home on the Ray-hainge-arrrrrr...........
*Jon had to leave us early due to work commitments but his early morning singing really was heard on neighbouring continents :eek:

We're off to Austria next, I was trying to keep this brief-what happened?
I need a break :beer:

More great pics :bow

Not seen that one of mark and Gerry skipping down the path before. That is funny :)

...and rather :ymca

DAY 8 - La Villa in Badia to Nauders 24 199 mi
Near enough 200 miles, Garmin suggested 5 hours 45 minutes, with lunch, coffee and photo stops it was going to be a fairly long day on these roads, most made an early start........
Passes today include; Campolongo, Caprile, Forcello Aurine, Strada statale Del Monte Grappa E Del Passo Rolle 10 (fairly trips from the tongue doesn't it :eek) and the Mendelpass and Reschenpass, a tough but enjoyable day.
I remember feeling "out of sorts" with the bike and couldn't find my rythm, I was braking unnecessarily and waived Richard, Jon and Adrian by preferring not to slow these guys down and find a fix for myself, my ride improved and I was content with a moderately fast pace, I made as few gearchanges as possible and avoided heavy braking and harsh acceleration where possible-very satisfying and as an added bonus my fuel consumption average rose to a new high of 54 mpg according to the computer from an average of 48mpg :rolleyes:
I had been soundly beaten on the "post a sticker on the pass sign" game..........
265-L.jpg

Temps in the high 20's made the Hotel Hochland a welcome site, I knew from a previous stay here during the 09 Swiss trip that the hotel had a great pool & Jacuzzi in the basement so as soon as I had checked in I went to cool off in the pool and then joined the others for a beer and a chat upstairs;

269-L.jpg

266-L.jpg

After dinner Oscar & Tony took turns to whack Gerry about the head :thumb2
270-L.jpg

Day 9 choice of 2 routes 201 miles via Fuelapass or 226 miles via Albulapass

Over breakfast it was decided we would meet up "at the first petrol station en-route" a surefire recipe for a solo ride :rolleyes: :thumb2
I stopped for a pic close to the "first petrol station en-route" and didn't see or hear another bike for 10 minutes
smugshot2552791-L.jpg

Thinking the rest of the group must now be ahead of me I "made progress" along cold and wet roads toward the Fluelapass, the road had many sections of roadworks with temporary traffic lights, I pushed my way down to the front of the queue at every red light in an effort to "catch up" :blast
I stopped to add air to my front tyre which had lost a little pressure was feeling increasingly vague and headed up the pass-it was cold! Single figures Celsius cold-not what we had become used to :eek:
There was still a lot of snow around and the lakes at the top of the pass were frozen
274-L.jpg

272-XL.jpg

After a cold and damp start to the day the temperatures climbed steadily into the high 20's by mid afternoon, once again I was glad I had worn my Trailguard suit, the ability to remove the Gore Tex liner and open the ventilation zips in the warm afternoons had been a god send, I crossed the Rhine and enjoyed the final 30 miles or so toward Tuttlingen and Hotel Huhnerhof or The Hen House, I arrived and checked in around 2.30pm only Oscar had arrived before me, the rest of the group arrived over the next 5 hours, I had skipped the Lichtenstein detour though whether by design or poor navigation I'm not letting on :D

276-L.jpg

We were booked for 2 nights at the Huhnerhof but our fellow travellers from Ireland had decided to change their travel plans and head for the ferry tomorrow at Roscoff bound for Rosslaire, last supper then............pre-dinner drinks
283-L.jpg

282-L.jpg

Fast forward to dessert;
284-L.jpg

Jon
287-L.jpg

Flash (Tony) & Tras
288-L.jpg

Post Dessert drinks :beer: :blagblah
285-L.jpg

DAY 10-Rideout RHINE FALLS

We bade farewell to Tony & Tras and Connor & Tracy as they leave for Roscoff and their ferry home.

A suggested rideout to the Rhinefalls at Schauffhausen was one alternative the other being a ride to the Touratech emporioum of Tat, the Rheinfalls one the majority vote and we set off as one group for the first time in days.........of course, even on such a short journey there was a parting of the ways but we all arrived at the same destination and parked up.

A fast flowing river, hmmmmmm with pleasure boat rides hmmmmmm
293-L.jpg

The roar of the water grew louder as we got nearer-impressive :thumb2
299-L.jpg

From the cantilever viewing platform
325-L.jpg

We took a boat ride, destination-the pinnacle of rock in the centre of the falls
311-L.jpg

Someone commited an act of petty vandalism by "stickering" the boat with a tour sticker, he's staying tight lipped about it.....
313-L.jpg

Approaching the landing jetty, the steps to the top are clearly visible
316-L.jpg

We make it to the top, in the viewing box seen by Oscar's right ear are cookie & angie waving to us :D
322-L.jpg

See them?
318-XL.jpg

Following the obligatory visit to the Tat err souvenir shop where, at great expense I added to my wife's fridge magnet collection we left, destination the Touratech emporium, we managed to ride as a group for another 5 minutes......

Whilst waiting at a Traffic light Oscar and I spotted a riverside cafe where we thought we would lunch, we ordered coffee and requested a menu, the views across the Rhine were very nice but the menu was breathtaking-we left :eek

We caught up with the others here
333-L.jpg

We lunched on hot dogs and fizzy water and other culinary delights, we all resisted the urge to spend money and left without so much as a touratech fridge magnet.

This was quite nice-in a slightly overdone throw the entire touratech catalogue at it kind of way

332-L.jpg

Your suffering is nearly at an end dear reader, tomorrow I will tell you of the tales of days 11, 12 & 13

night night

Back
Top Bottom