Trouble with my Horn - and Intercourse...

MikeO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
29th October

I wake after a pretty good night’s sleep – probably better than Todd & Keri ever get while trying to keep their son Jasper occupied – I’m sure they’re going to have fun with him tonight when he’s stuffed full of ‘trick or treat’ candy :yelrotflm

After a good breakfast, Keri has to depart to do that work thing, leaving Todd and I to go for a short rideout…

10554468-L-1.jpg

Todd’s steed is a fine old 1978 airhead R100RS, which has some interesting modifications, including strengthening to the frame, forks and swing arm. We get kitted up and set off. I lost track of exactly where we went, but ended up paying a short visit to Todd’s mum & step-dad, who farm a 10 acre lot and grow the potatoes that Todd roasted to such good effect last night. They live in a really nice spot.

We set off again, heading for one of the oddly named villages in the area (there are several to choose from - Blue Ball; Bird in Hand; Gap). As we stop at some traffic lights, Todd points out an auto-parts store at the junction and asks if I want to go and replace my horn. I’ve had twin tone horns fitted since just after I’d bought the bike – one of them has eventually given up, leaving a slightly less than piercing single horn – Todd & I had discussed replacing them last night.

We pull over into the parking lot and, sure enough, Advance Auto Parts have exactly the same horns for sale…

10561410-L.jpg

Did I say exactly the same? Well, almost. The only difference seems to be that the mounting stud (in the centre of the horn) is now also the earth connection. So no problem then…

Or is it?

After blowing 3 fuses and eventually managing to wire the horns so they are on permanently with the ignition (a bit like fire engines and their sirens :rolleyes: ), we work out that the switch works by interrupting the earth lead, not the live. This means we’ll either have to isolate the bolt from the frame – or get different horns. We opt for the latter and I find a pair which fit in the same place and will use my existing wiring. Todd gets a new pair of horns to fit to his RS and everyone’s happy…

Unfortunately, this unexpected delay means that Todd has to depart (he’s a property developer and is closing a deal on a house this afternoon). We say or farewells and it’s left up to me to visit the town of …

10554478-L.jpg

…Intercourse. Named, disappointingly enough, after the ‘intercourse’ of two roads. Still, it wouldn’t do nearly such a good trade in postcards if it was called ‘Intersection’, I bet…:p

I turn off the main road after getting out of town, and start exploring the Amish country. Quite unexpectedly, I come across a team of horses being driven up the road…

10554481-L-1.jpg

…the young lad driving them looking at me with a mystified expression on his face…

I see several other teams of horses being used to plough and muck-spread in the surrounding fields, but none close enough to photograph on this slightly misty afternoon.

I’m feeling quite tired, and the light is fading already, so Bettie finds me a room at the Holiday Inn Express at Exton. Another pleasant day – depressingly few left now, though…:(

10561407-L.jpg

Oh - almost forgot - the odometer clicked over the magic figure 85348 sometime on Thursday afternoon.

This means I've now done more miles since I arrived in the USA on 1st February 2004, than I had in the previous 23 months...

Mike:cool:

Back
Top Bottom