ESA problems...... again.

hugh jarrs

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The ESA on my 1200RT wont change from the 2 helmets preload setting. The sport, normal, comfort settings change and i can feel that theres a difference with that. Anyone had similar probs ? Is this gonna be expensive ? Bike is '56 reg 21,000 miles.

Yes (had same issue) , try after turning off and on ignition (I assume you are holding the button down ??)

I had the same problem on my 2005, after about 25,000 miles. Just wouldn't change at all.

Turned out to be very expensive as I traded her in for a Twin Cam, 2011 RT. :blast

I've never had such an unreliable vehicle as my 1st RT, if I'd had similar problems with any other vehicle I wouldn't even consider the same brand again, let alone the same model. :eek:

I guess that says a lot for how much I loved the bike when it was working.

Good luck, I hope you get the issue resolved at a reasonable price.

Don't talk to me about ESA problems.

I can never feel any difference on my 2010 RT between Sport/Normal and Comfort (all settings feel harsh to me) so took it back to dealers today who say all is OK.

I guess it must be OK then :nenau, but it isn't as I recall the loan RT's I have ridden.

Good luck with yours.

Don't talk to me about ESA problems.

I can never feel any difference on my 2010 RT between Sport/Normal and Comfort (all settings feel harsh to me) so took it back to dealers today who say all is OK.

I guess it must be OK then :nenau, but it isn't as I recall the loan RT's I have ridden.

Good luck with yours.

I can never tell the difference either. Never have been able to.
The only way I know it's (sort of) working is to sit on it with the engine running & change the display from one helmet to two. You can feel the bike height change quite dramatically.

Personally I keep mine set to 2 up as I prefer the lower seat height.

The only way I know it's (sort of) working is to sit on it with the engine running & change the display from one helmet to two. You can feel the bike height change quite dramatically.

ERM, i think you better get it sorted then. When it set for 2 people it should be higher, not lower as it has more preload.

Tim,

I can feel the 2 helmet/luggage setting differences......no problem with that.

What I can't feel is the Sport/Normal/Comfort settings.........I am sure it is not working properly. As I said, when I have ridden a couple of demonstrators I have clearly felt the difference and changed and fiddled with the settings just for the experience. No point with mine as it makes no difference.

Think I will take it to another dealer for a second opinion.

An easy test is to chop the throttle on and off and 'bounce' the front end. It'll 'bounce' more easily on a softer setting ... :thumb2

ERM, i think you better get it sorted then. When it set for 2 people it should be higher, not lower as it has more preload.

:blast
As I was writing it I was thinking "I've got a 50/50 chance here".
It was inevitable I'd get it wrong.
Again.

Certainly I've never noticed any difference between duffer, normal and Fireblade modes though that could of course simply be down to my plodding riding style.

:blast
As I was writing it I was thinking "I've got a 50/50 chance here".
It was inevitable I'd get it wrong.
Again.

Certainly I've never noticed any difference between sport, normal and Fireblade modes though that could of course simply be down to my plodding riding style.

Might be worth getting yours checked out too, I am certain that there was a noticeable difference on the demonstrators.

Will keep you updated after I have had the 'second opinion'.

Its gonna be expensive then. Crank oil seals went at 18,000 and had to get a new clutch. Now this. Think i'll fix it and buy a Honda.

The ESA on my 1200RT wont change from the 2 helmets preload setting. The sport, normal, comfort settings change and i can feel that theres a difference with that. Anyone had similar probs ? Is this gonna be expensive ? Bike is '56 reg 21,000 miles.
Yep mine's the same. 2007. Mine's stuck on 2 helmets which is ok as I always leave it on that anyway and just use comfort for solo sporty mode or normal/spot after watching motogp. :frida:D. I did get it to change once by knocking the rear shock whilst trying to change the setting, which confirms the preload actuator is probably corroded. I believe these can be repaired, by Wilbers I think. But I might use this as an excuse to upgrade the shocks to some custom Wilbers or hyperpro.

Shock won't move off 2 helmet setting

This has happened to me twice. Each time it has cost £50 at a BMW dealer (SBW Hertford) to fix.

A heavy pillion dismounts from the bike suddenly and the shock moves beyond/outside a limit setting of a transducer. The dealer connects the bike to a GT1, runs a software program to tell the ECU to ignore the out-of-tolerance warning (or whatever) and, hey presto!, it's working again.

Of course, you may not be so lucky.........

HTH,

John

Back
Top Bottom