Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kawasaki Versys

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Kawasaki Versys

Not "my other bike" (yet) but had a test ride on one , surprised how "frisky" and "keen" it felt, handled well too , makes my 1150's seem quite staid and obese.... downsizing beckoning???? anybody esle done this? any regrets? John B

Allihies again.. but off to Asia soon....
    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Not "my other bike" (yet) but had a test ride on one , surprised how "frisky" and "keen" it felt, handled well too , makes my 1150's seem quite staid and obese.... downsizing beckoning???? anybody esle done this? any regrets? John B
    Chris over here had one and swapped it for an 1150... I liked it and so did he, but was not the right type of bike for him.
    Keep it Fluffy...
    Honda Varadero 2001..
    check out my way of life http://www.balooz.com
    check out my divesite http://www.cluin.com
    check out my motoguide site http://www.motomunster.com

no don't till

Try a BMW F800 first, fun to ride, light, frugal, just needs an extra disc up front to make it perfect. i'll be changing my 1200 for one next year,as its ideal for the B roads i enjoy to do recently

Yes, I've had one for over a year now. Great fun, reasonably cheap, economical, fun, light, flickable, pretty comfy, fun, cheap insurance, solid build quality and have I mentioned how much fun they are ?

It's not perfect tho'. The brakes are quiet average, but I've fitted S/S lines and different pads which improve things nicely. It's not that they won't stop you, but I prefer more bite. The seat is not too bad for comfort and the main complaint is creeping forward onto your nuts. I have fitted a customized seat to make things better. They are a bit vibey, more so the Gen1 models and I'm sure many BM riders would put this down to character. The stock Dunlops are crap and I have BT023's fitted which transforms the confidence I have in the handling.

There's a healthy amount of farkles available and so far, I've fitted :

Fender Extender
    Hel S/S lines
    Carbon Lorraine pads
    SW-Motech Alu-Rack
    SW-Motech adjustable footrests
    KTM SMT handguards
    Evo Tech rad guard
    Evo Tech swingarm bobbins
    R&G fork crash protectors
    12V power supply
    Heated grips
    Stebel Magnum horn
    HID light on the dip
    Custom seat

So they're just as bad as GS's for spending money on.

Do I regret going from a 'big' bike to the Versys ? No. Right now, it suits my needs, I have no problems keeping up with the pack and for the money, it's been a good decision.
    Why so serious ?

had one for 12 months when "our kid" had his 800GS..

well matched pair of bikes... versys handled better by miles due to 800's 21" front wheel.

versys did more to gallon.

bog all difference away from the lights.. versys was a bugger for hoiking the front wheel up in 1st and 2nd we had many "traffic light duels"

Versys... was crap "off road" damp grass was too much!

Versys screen was crap! never went far enough on 800 to notice?

Versys was at the time 2/3 the price of an 800GS

brakes were adequate for the performance/tyres on the Versys..ditto the 800GS neither were in R1/Fireblade performance arena so not an issue.

liked my Versys a lot!

sold it pretty quick to help buy my R80 g/s cash

never looked back
    hm

I had one for 18 months

It was great! What Davy says is all true. I put Michelin Pilot Road 3's on mine and that really helped wih confidence and ride quality. The standard Dunlops are crap. On the Mk1 model the suspension was a little over stiff and could be harsh. That got improved from 2009 onwards I believe.

But all in all, for not a lot of cash (it was really cheap to run too) it was a really practical, versatile - and above all - FUN bike to ride. I'm on a GSA now, but in different circumstances I'd happily go back to one.

I bought one in 2009 just as a commuter bike. It's bloody awsome for what it is......so good I went to Sardinia on it.

You can spend even more and go for the full on adventure look.

Why so serious ?

Versys

Hi All, ta for replies, yet to try a 800gs, but if it's a sprightly as a versys could also be a contender. Cheers:beer jug:John B

Old boiled sweet Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    What's it like two up?
    Every day I wake up is a good day.

Audi Cock Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I rode the new Honda NC700X last Friday and liked it...going to try the Versys sometime soon.

Why so serious ?

Definitely worth a look before I write the cheque.

Quote Originally Posted by Davy F View Post
    Yes, I've had one for over a year now. Great fun, reasonably cheap, economical, fun, light, flickable, pretty comfy, fun, cheap insurance, solid build quality and have I mentioned how much fun they are ?

It's not perfect tho'. The brakes are quiet average, but I've fitted S/S lines and different pads which improve things nicely. It's not that they won't stop you, but I prefer more bite. The seat is not too bad for comfort and the main complaint is creeping forward onto your nuts. I have fitted a customized seat to make things better. They are a bit vibey, more so the Gen1 models and I'm sure many BM riders would put this down to character. The stock Dunlops are crap and I have BT023's fitted which transforms the confidence I have in the handling.

There's a healthy amount of farkles available and so far, I've fitted :

Fender Extender
    Hel S/S lines
    Carbon Lorraine pads
    SW-Motech Alu-Rack
    SW-Motech adjustable footrests
    KTM SMT handguards
    Evo Tech rad guard
    Evo Tech swingarm bobbins
    R&G fork crash protectors
    12V power supply
    Heated grips
    Stebel Magnum horn
    HID light on the dip
    Custom seat

So they're just as bad as GS's for spending money on.

Do I regret going from a 'big' bike to the Versys ? No. Right now, it suits my needs, I have no problems keeping up with the pack and for the money, it's been a good decision.

That is Good looking bike, Nice MX5 too

Have any of you Versys 650 riders tried the 1000cc version yet???

Quote Originally Posted by Twotter View Post
    Have any of you Versys 650 riders tried the 1000cc version yet???
    I've had the opportunity, but honestly can't be bothered. Although feedback and tests have been very positive, the thoughts of having another in-line four leaves me cold.
    Why so serious ?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast