Kawasaki Versys

John B

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Not "my other bike" (yet) but had a test ride on one , surprised how "frisky" and "keen" it felt,:blagblah handled well too , makes my 1150's seem quite staid and obese.... downsizing beckoning???? anybody esle done this? any regrets?:beerjug: John B

Not "my other bike" (yet) but had a test ride on one , surprised how "frisky" and "keen" it felt,:blagblah handled well too , makes my 1150's seem quite staid and obese.... downsizing beckoning???? anybody esle done this? any regrets?:beerjug: John B

Chris over here had one and swapped it for an 1150... I liked it and so did he, but was not the right type of bike for him.

no don't till

Try a BMW F800 first, fun to ride, light, frugal, just needs an extra disc up front to make it perfect. i'll be changing my 1200 for one next year,as its ideal for the B roads i enjoy to do recently;)

Yes, I've had one for over a year now. Great fun, reasonably cheap, economical, fun, light, flickable, pretty comfy, fun, cheap insurance, solid build quality and have I mentioned how much fun they are ? :D

P9080159.jpg

It's not perfect tho'. The brakes are quiet average, but I've fitted S/S lines and different pads which improve things nicely. It's not that they won't stop you, but I prefer more bite. The seat is not too bad for comfort and the main complaint is creeping forward onto your nuts. I have fitted a customized seat to make things better. They are a bit vibey, more so the Gen1 models and I'm sure many BM riders would put this down to character. The stock Dunlops are crap and I have BT023's fitted which transforms the confidence I have in the handling.

P9030155.jpg

There's a healthy amount of farkles available and so far, I've fitted :

Fender Extender
Hel S/S lines
Carbon Lorraine pads
SW-Motech Alu-Rack
SW-Motech adjustable footrests
KTM SMT handguards
Evo Tech rad guard
Evo Tech swingarm bobbins
R&G fork crash protectors
12V power supply
Heated grips
Stebel Magnum horn
HID light on the dip
Custom seat

So they're just as bad as GS's for spending money on. :blast

Do I regret going from a 'big' bike to the Versys ? No. Right now, it suits my needs, I have no problems keeping up with the pack and for the money, it's been a good decision.

had one for 12 months when "our kid" had his 800GS..

well matched pair of bikes... versys handled better by miles due to 800's 21" front wheel.

versys did more to gallon.

bog all difference away from the lights.. versys was a bugger for hoiking the front wheel up in 1st and 2nd:D we had many "traffic light duels:D"

Versys... was crap "off road" damp grass was too much!

Versys screen was crap! never went far enough on 800 to notice?

Versys was at the time 2/3 the price of an 800GS:thumb

brakes were adequate for the performance/tyres on the Versys..ditto the 800GS neither were in R1/Fireblade performance arena so not an issue.

liked my Versys a lot!

sold it pretty quick to help buy my R80 g/s cash:thumb

never looked back
hm

I had one for 18 months

It was great! What Davy says is all true. I put Michelin Pilot Road 3's on mine and that really helped wih confidence and ride quality. The standard Dunlops are crap. On the Mk1 model the suspension was a little over stiff and could be harsh. That got improved from 2009 onwards I believe.

But all in all, for not a lot of cash (it was really cheap to run too) it was a really practical, versatile - and above all - FUN bike to ride. I'm on a GSA now, but in different circumstances I'd happily go back to one.

I bought one in 2009 just as a commuter bike. It's bloody awsome for what it is......so good I went to Sardinia on it.

Versys

Hi All, ta for replies, yet to try a 800gs, but if it's a sprightly as a versys could also be a contender. Cheers:beer jug:John B

I rode the new Honda NC700X last Friday and liked it...going to try the Versys sometime soon.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GaRU79do4ak?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Definitely worth a look before I write the cheque.

:cool:

Yes, I've had one for over a year now. Great fun, reasonably cheap, economical, fun, light, flickable, pretty comfy, fun, cheap insurance, solid build quality and have I mentioned how much fun they are ? :D

P9080159.jpg

It's not perfect tho'. The brakes are quiet average, but I've fitted S/S lines and different pads which improve things nicely. It's not that they won't stop you, but I prefer more bite. The seat is not too bad for comfort and the main complaint is creeping forward onto your nuts. I have fitted a customized seat to make things better. They are a bit vibey, more so the Gen1 models and I'm sure many BM riders would put this down to character. The stock Dunlops are crap and I have BT023's fitted which transforms the confidence I have in the handling.

P9030155.jpg

There's a healthy amount of farkles available and so far, I've fitted :

Fender Extender
Hel S/S lines
Carbon Lorraine pads
SW-Motech Alu-Rack
SW-Motech adjustable footrests
KTM SMT handguards
Evo Tech rad guard
Evo Tech swingarm bobbins
R&G fork crash protectors
12V power supply
Heated grips
Stebel Magnum horn
HID light on the dip
Custom seat

So they're just as bad as GS's for spending money on. :blast

Do I regret going from a 'big' bike to the Versys ? No. Right now, it suits my needs, I have no problems keeping up with the pack and for the money, it's been a good decision.

That is Good looking bike, Nice MX5 too :cool:

Have any of you Versys 650 riders tried the 1000cc version yet???

Have any of you Versys 650 riders tried the 1000cc version yet???

I've had the opportunity, but honestly can't be bothered. Although feedback and tests have been very positive, the thoughts of having another in-line four leaves me cold.

That is Good looking bike, Nice MX5 too :cool:

Thank you on both counts. :)

I actually took a trip over to Scotland yesterday as I bought a pair of Givi V35's of a Versys forum member who lives in Peebles. I had to borrow a mates Gen1 Versys as I haven't got the racks yet and he does. I did almost 320 miles averaging 66mpg and honestly can't say I'd have enjoyed it any more on something bigger/more expensive/faster etc. I went on up to South Queensferry to visit Schtum before zooming back to Cairnryan for the ferry home. It's just a brilliant wee bike. :thumb2

I've had the opportunity, but honestly can't be bothered. Although feedback and tests have been very positive, the thoughts of having another in-line four leaves me cold.

Plus.. it makes a GS look like a work of art.. (Which of course it is..:D )

Thank you on both counts. :)

I actually took a trip over to Scotland yesterday as I bought a pair of Givi V35's of a Versys forum member who lives in Peebles. I had to borrow a mates Gen1 Versys as I haven't got the racks yet and he does. I did almost 320 miles averaging 66mpg and honestly can't say I'd have enjoyed it any more on something bigger/more expensive/faster etc. I went on up to South Queensferry to visit Schtum before zooming back to Cairnryan for the ferry home. It's just a brilliant wee bike. :thumb2

How did the Gen1 feel compared to your Gen2?
I keep reading people moaning about vibes on the Gen1, or is that just people that don't understand twin cylinder motorbikes? :nenau

What are the differences between the older and newer ones?

Back
Top Bottom