Round 2: Another European Sortie

Ta :thumb

I could have sworn you mentioned heading to Norway.. or was that before the airport exit's "I'll go north/south depending on the next car" moment? :nenau

Yup, that was the ticket.. I was doing some research here about Norway. All in good time though for that.. :thumb

Looks like you made a good choice, though :clap

To say that is not unfair is somewhat of understatement.. great stuff, I've been very lucky.. :thumb2:thumb2:thumb2

:beerjug:

Kastoria to Vlore

A decent nights kip, a good enough breakfast for a very reasonable 40 Euros. Friendly peeps and I have a long chat with the hotel lady, she talks about how she loves London and she is off to Sheffield to see her sister who is at University there. I tell here to visit the Yorkshire Dales, but she already has done her research and knows- the miracle of the internet. 'I have seen the pictures and it looks beautiful'. All is good. I roll off now towards the parks after rescuing the bike which is bizarrely surrounded by a pack of geese, thankfully none of them want argue.

Great stuff once again. Empty roads; excellent scenery. The going is slow but enjoyable. Plenty of things to keep you occupied: Minimal roadsigns, if any (including one unsigned corker of a blind crest on to a cliffside hairpin without a barrier) changing surfaces, rockfalls, gravel, the odd tree :eek: I'm stunned at how pretty much every crash barrier has had a knock, and so many have been destroyed..

7818808882_829b21fb55_c.jpg

Oh, the scenery. Just ride carefully as to not become a part of it :D

7818810796_634e193971_c.jpg

Great riding though; this is a place I’d love to come back to. The problem in having an itinerary now is that I have to go :(

Cow in overtaking of 'well ridden GS' shocker.. :D

7818807070_545313723c_c.jpg

Stop for lunch. Cold coffee, ace, and a toastie. Very well received. I wonder what the greek is for 'Breville'..

7818822392_15cb150ddb_c.jpg

The river. I'll hazard a guess that it might just get a tiny wee bit deeper later in the year. Curious, I see signs on the road for rafting dotted here and there. Where's that done then?

7818805392_a9cc5dca51_c.jpg

More lovely scenes..

7818821044_b84f78ec58_c.jpg

Zumo directs me on a route across country to meet with the main road almost at the border, so I go with it. It's good riding, with again lots to see and do, really first rate GS territory.

Attention Plane spotters..

7818819348_ffebe6b6b9_c.jpg

Finally I cross back to Albania, which is an unremarkable experience, which we like, aside from on the Greek side I'm told to go down the coach lane and jump in to the queue with my passport, as, in referring to the queue of cars I'm advised 'these people will be here forever'. I take the good advice and in under ten minutes I'm in Albania again.

About 10k up the main road I turn off to take the pass over to Sarande, just before a police road block checkpoint, which suits me. There's a lot of plod around, but I seem to be invisible, which we shan't complain of, aside from one who returns my respectful nod of the head with a smile and wave. The road is typical Albania, fine in many places, some potholes and a spot of warping… and then it just disappears for about thirty yards into rocks, gravel and pot holes you could hide the Band of the Coldstream Guards in. Not to motor in the dark around here, especially on a bike, is first rate advice.

There's a comedy entrance to Sarande, where there is well, just no road at all. Let me post the little bit of video when I get a minute. After my little pogo across that interlude, and down to the town I stop by the beach and have a 'Bounty' Ice Cream, the taste of paradise that in this heat melts before I can eat it leaving my shirt, hands and mooey covered in milk choc. Good job I've got no one to impress. There's a few curious folks taking photos of the bike now. Ah so perhaps I have then. Oh well, sod it.

What a shame, I would have really like to have caught the sets of DJs Nivo and Floo respectively. Shucks.

7818817804_5572493bdc_c.jpg

It's not a long stop as I've still a reasonable run to do and the day is slipping away, so I head on to the coast road to Vlore. A road I have previously ridden south, now it's time to go the other way. Splendid road it is too, relatively deserted at first but as time ticks on it becomes crowded with late Sunday afternoon traffic, I assume making their way back from the beach resorts to the cities of Vlore and Tirane. I'm able to make decent progress and nip through relatively well.

I stop for a coffee at a pretty place way up in the cliffs before the final run in. I am greeted by a young lad of about ten in a Clash London Calling T-Shirt. 'Welcome' he says. Why, what fine taste. I tell him, 'I like your shirt'. He says 'I know, it's the best isn't it?'. Nice happy smiley kid, great English. A quick refuel is completed, and I resist sampling the wonderful smelling lamb. So at this point I consider it'll be a nice early evening run down in to Vlore, I'll have a quiet drink, and that'll be that. If only.

As we head off we move inland to cross down the mountain to the flatlands that run along into the coastal city of Vlore. As we descend there is a plethora of activities. I hit a series of downhill restaurants; cars double parked on the main road; a wedding party and a huge group of folks. Throughout the descent there are plentiful congregations of cows, goats and even pigs are wandering around on the road. Locals make daring overtakes. There's the odd dead dog to avoid. Nice.

All is good until we get to the outskirts of the destination town. The traffic stops. There's a tooting of horns and gnashing of teeth.
Now, Albanian traffic doesn't behave like other conventional traffic. Cars (just like motorbikes as we know it at home).. they filter. They'll just barge their way to the front, and will get back in to line somehow. Strange to see. But now, with no traffic coming the other way, there are two lanes heading in to town, and things are very snarled up. We crawl up a long climb slowly to find a lone policeman diverting traffic up another hill. We climb up slowly. There is another policeman slotting traffic back in to a single file, one by one. He calls me out, I think he's stopping me, but he's gesturing that I should just filter on. Nice. 'Thankyou, thankyou' he says to me.. Well, that little nugget works for about 250 yards and then everyone is back to two lanes of chaos.
It is at about this point that I notice my knees are getting phenomenally hot. I haven't really noticed with the sun retiring that it is still 31 degrees according to the computer, and all of the little temperature bars are lit up nicely on the instrument panel. Feck - Och, we're burning up, cap'n! :eek:
We get to the top of the hill and now I can see there's a fair descent at hand, so I switch the bike off to let it cool down a bit. So we continue down at slow pace, coasting. Now we hit one of the famed no road sections, so bizarrely I am stood up on the pegs, in neutral, coasting down in a convoy of locals. A lad hangs out of the window of an adjacent car watching and listening intently. Why no noise. I smile and tell him 'Electric'. He looks at me even more strangely and then has a laugh.

We get down again and to the front at Vlore and I fire up the old girl again and off we go with at least one bar off of the temp gauge. A long way in is the offender: A smashed up Italian Registered 3 series BMW. Bloody Italians.

With all the drama and messing about I miss a photo opportunity for one of the most stunning sun sets I've ever laid eyes on.

So, I find the hotel, without the assistance of Garmin who couldn't be bothered to map anything at all of the last three or so hours of motoring. The guy ensures he can see the bike on the CCTV and seems happy.

So it’s a change and out for a walk on the main strip. I'm looked at intently by some of the locals; clearly they don't get many chubby buddies in these parts. But it's a good walk. A great pizza, with real ham and not spam, and a couple of Tirane Beers and I'm set to retire.

7818814168_b33c95ca33_c.jpg

I wander back, clad in flip flops (I've been struggling with sore toes from I think a troublesome pair of Crocs, hence the wearing of common or garden flips flops) and again, similar to Montenegro, the entire place is a bloody trip hazard. Whilst I am laughing about it, and taking a photo of an 'off road section for pedestrians' I stub my toe on one of said hazards.

Aborted amusing photo due to accident..

7818815962_9707045414_c.jpg

Bloody claret everywhere and a little bit painful. Good grief. Ferret around for the medical kit in the top box and something else to sort.

Owwww..

7818812498_4271bb1a22_c.jpg

....I've been very lucky.. :thumb2:thumb2:thumb2

Mouth opened, foot firmly placed within :blast

flip flops are the spawn of satan:rob:D

looking forward to the next instalment :thumb2

lmao - fek ya coulda done that in the house

hope it aint too sore - riding with sore hand or feet for miles aint fun

Let it be known, I FECKING HATE FLIP FLOPS :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Vlore to Taranto

Yes indeed, let it be known. I hate flip flops with a passion now. And since my toe is knackered I'm going to have to wear them for longer.

In a change of topic, I realise a few photos are not all that clever over the last couple of days and it is so sad I can't show better images; the scenery is stunning and it is a grand part of the world to ride; I'd recommend this loop for a tour from the UK, and Northern Greece would make a decent turning point. It is clear foreign bikers don't visit often (I'm not sure anyone visits that little corner of Greece often at all). Anyway, pictures- main reason for the decline in quality is that somehow I've lost the USB adapter to my main camera, and so my snaps are now taken with my mobile. So I have some cracking photos actually, it's just they're all stuck on a little memory card. I shall enjoy those later then.

I also recalled two moments from yesterday that I don't feature and should have. At the hotel I left yesterday the lady asked where I'm going to which when I said Albania she looked very puzzled. 'It is very dangerous for you?' she said. Also, when I stopped for my toastie, the gent asked the same, and when I told him he said 'You go alone? Surely no'. At the hotel this morning in Vlore I talk to an elderly couple from Norway who have been coming here for 16 years. 'The Greeks have a great prejudice against Albanians' she says 'They will let them work there as they work hard, but they don't respect them'.

I don't get my alarm call. I wake up, and can see its already very light outside. I feel a moment of disorientated panic as I recall my recent experience in Montenegro. I see from the notice by the bed I can call contact reception by dialing 31. There's clear reason why I don't get the call: Someone has stolen the telephone. Hah. Suppose it makes a nice change from the regional Hotel crime of choice, namely the stealing of batteries from the TV remote control.

All is OK though; as it turns out its just after 8am. A good breakfast, including a great local Marmalade which is as orangey and sugary as a very orangey sugary thing. Incredibly charming, polite and welcoming people; the manager speaking good English and there are lots of staff fussing about for your needs. From a bikers point of view not exactly what you would call 'secure parking' for a traditional biker peace of mind, but the upside there is a little man watching out all night, and the adjacent car park has a security man sitting in a little box smoking a lot. Everything is fine with the bike, but I've long given up worrying too much about it, que sera sera.

With the bonus of an excellent internet connection and Skype, I am video counseled on the correct treatment of my fetid toe gouge by a nurse friend. At conclusion, she tells me to be sure that my insurance covers the cost of repatriation should I need to be airlifted out, the sarcastic git.

I drew out 2000 leke last night, which is about 13 quid so I could have a meal and a few beers. I had a 1200 already and a bit of change. I had a pizza, two large beers followed by a tidy nightcap at the hotel to soothe my pain, and I still leave having not broken in to my 2000..

And so the boot goes on without much hassle so far so good.

I'd wedged the GS amongst some cars last night at the direction of the hotel bod, so it's heavy going getting it out in the morning heat. The security guard has appeared from his smokehouse to have a look at my going. Bike packed, checked out and off. I am back in about three minutes, the hotel have still got my passport. Best I sort that now. Fierce apologies and good wishes and I'm back to the action.

Central Vlore has no traffic lights to feature at its huge junctions and as a consequence there seem no road rules to speak of. It's the closest thing to those bizarre Indian YouTube traffic videos that I've experienced, and you need a little bit of bottle to ride. Simple tactics here though: Don't let anyone go, or anyone in, just hold your course and keep going and people will go around you and some how, some way, you will go around them. At junctions things just merge at speed, coming from all angles. It reminds me a bit of Futurama for some reason. Don't let it put you off though, it's a real giggle, and to people watch those in the cars is ace. The motoring experience is a real memorable treasure to behold.

So I booked a ferry to Vlore to Brindisi with Direct Ferries, a UK website that a few folks have given thumbs up to in this parish (thanks to mrsroynie and Fanum for their quick advice :thumb ). I get to the port after the chaotic scrum fun.

OK, so here's the Port and so here's the tricky bit. I have an e-ticket. Most of the guards haven't heard of the 'e' part of it, let alone the 'e-ticket' thing. That said, I'm let through security though, and then on to the Police and Customs entry to the ferry. 'Billet' says the Policia man. No English though, and my try of Deutsch leaves him even further confused. I try for a while to convey 'e-billet', he has no idea what I'm talking about but it's all good natured. He likes my good luck sister Maria picture, Michael's gift from way back in Lake Bled that now sits proudly in the map pocket of my tank bag, so thinks I'm a good soul, and so jollily goes and gets his mate.
Said mate has a little more; He gets the concept, and has enough language to tell me I need to go back to the agency at the port entry and sort it there, so off I go. I'm grabbed by a port guy who takes me to an agent. This one isn't the one, but the girl being very helpful goes to get another agent, who then goes off to get another agent. I'm marched around by a little gaggle of people, they are treating it all most importantly. At last, my own little entourage. Cigarettes are tried to be sold to me mid transit. 'Do I look like I smoke?' I ask, referring to my waistline. 'Maybe you should?' smiles the peddlar in plain English. We have a laugh. The best English in the port comes from a haggered toothless peddler, whose face is collapsing in on itself like a neutron star. You never can tell.. funny place, Albania, full of the unexpected. Delightful chaos. Finally, A Donald Pleasance double taps in my reference number, says 'Robert' and mimics riding a motorbike. Bingo :cool:

I'm gutted I couldn't really get any pictures of this, but time was pressing and needs must and all that.

So I'm glad that Direct Ferries tell you that you need 120 minutes in order to check in, 45 of those will be to find out actually how to check in. :D but now I've got my ticket. Back on the bike and to the Police post where my return is greeted like royalty with a handshake and a wish of good luck; I'm flagged past the queuing Italian cars into the Passport and customs queues.

It's a wait. I'm joined in the queue by two old Mercedes' 200s on a classic rally trip, a yearly jaunt for the Polish occupants. We have a good chat. There's laughs for my 'WTF' country sticker on the pannier, they likey and they want. I get a sticker from their tour to stick on my topbox, and there's a Facebook page to 'like'. And some more recommendations on where to go in Polska, more to bank for the future..

7826882722_2bf1a83a09_c.jpg

Through and on to the ferry..

7826887784_3da27b16ea_c.jpg

With an hour to departure and a further four and a half to crossing to Brindisi to go, I decide to have a cheeky livener. It's all Italy here though, and they won't take my Shqiperese lolly, so that'll go into my ever expanding wad of would currency reserves. Still rude not to..

7826885984_d3395a9d4f_c.jpg

So it transpires that 12noon departure is now 2pm, and at 2pm we haven't moved as yet. 3.30 it is before finally off we go, so according to my calculations we won't be in Brindisi until 9pm. Joy.

So why Italy again? Well, it still bothers me that I lack a much of a positive view of Italy through so many visits, so this is a chance to redress the balance and try to dig a little deeper. And to get to Southern Italy, you'd generally need to go through Northern Italy which I'm no fan of, so this would seem to be an opportunity to make use of; plus, it'll make a change from all things Balkan. I'd done a bit of reading which said 'If you don't like Northern Italy- beware- Southern Italy is more intense'. Hey ho. Well, we likes a challenge, so off we'll jolly well go then.

The journey surprisingly doesn't drag, and the ferry docks just after nine. It so happens that I'm in the furthest point of the boat from the exit ramp and it is the best part of 45 minutes before I'm rolling off. Cosmic.

7826884328_f13459ca36_c.jpg

The disembarkation is typically Italian, impatient, waving of hands, trying to 'lane hop' (seriously, on a ferry, FFS), horn tooting. Pointless and hilarious :D

Anyway so much for an evening out. Last night, figuring on a 6.30pm arrival into Brindisi I book a hotel in Taranto, about 40 or so miles away, so it's off down the unlit Autostrada in the company of my dear friend 'LAMPF'. I really better try and get that sorted sharpish. And for more technical woes, the Zumo now refuses to draw me a map all of the time, leaving me with a blank pages as though I ride right off the map. Great. Heading down the Autostrada, and trying to get some sense out of said Zumo, with the flip up at about 90kph a big bloody insect hits me right in the fecking eye. What are the chances, for gods sake. That puts the tin hat on it :mad:

...I've been very lucky.. :thumb2:thumb2:thumb2

:blagblah

That's starting to piss me right off now.

I get to Taranto OK though, and through good memory as to where the hotel was from the confirmation map I'm in my room just before 11. Sore eye, and my toe is beeping as well. At least it has a mini bar.

Edit: It has a mini bar alright, but with one poxy tiny can of Moretti. WTF!

:blast

Ah the joys of travelling on a bike:D Still beats working though Rob:beerjug:

If you get a chance while youre there, Florence is great, we were there a couple of weeks ago. PM me if you want some decent eateries to go to.

Ah the joys of travelling on a bike:D Still beats working though Rob:beerjug:

Spot on, no complaints in the grand scheme of it all :thumb2

If you get a chance while youre there, Florence is great, we were there a couple of weeks ago. PM me if you want some decent eateries to go to.

Ta.. but I've turned left before it :)

Taranto to Naples

Taranto was a port town and my brief late stroll didn't give me a great vibe about the place. In all fairness, Vlore felt a hell of a lot safer to me, apart from the pavements that is. That was probably confirmed moreso when the hotel chap stopped me coming back in and asked me to park my bike on the pavement in front of the entrance to the hotel, virtually blocking the doorway, so he could see it. He was most insistant and seemed a lot more comfortable when I'd ludicrously arranged it in front of the sliding doors. I'm not complaining, and it was a lovely hotel at a decent price, and in the morning I chatted with a very friendly receptionist who was living proof that you don't have to be anything like a size 8 to be a stunner. Just a shame about the mini bar.

My eye is alright thankfully, following some antiseptic drops I put in last night. The toe is improving, although to be doubly conservative I changed my socks I've worn daily for the last 82 consecutive days on the bike (don't worry, I do wash them every night you know) as they're getting a tad abrasive.

Up, out and away. Petrol obtained, Pricewatch at 1.89 Euro per litre and I'm good to go. I head down what could be termed as the insole of Italy's boot, and then cut across to the main road to Potenza. This road, the SS407 is the kind of road that K1200S riders wake up in cold sweats dreaming of; impeccably surfaced, sweeping curves, ups and downs, incredibly fast stuff. Wasn't too shabby on my tractor, either TBH. Only a single police presence which I was flashed by oncoming traffic for. Well anyway his car was there, couldn't see where he was.

An hour and a bit or so's run on and I'm making for the Amalfi coast. Incredibly famed for its beauty and as an exclusive destination. Anyway I'm sure you know it or of it, and I'm not Judith Chalmers, although speak of the devil I am going a nice orange colour again. I can only echo that it is a place of incredible beauty and worthy of the hype. In anything I've read about the region it always states how difficult the motoring is and it's always very crowded at peak season. That it is, but I'm not sure what people would really expect- in all reality most of it is a 20mph bimble as the road hugs the cliff, and besides, you don't want to go much faster than that or you'll miss the gorgeous views.

7840128898_d342256092_c.jpg

And up into the cliffs..

7840139044_fd83dc415e_c.jpg

Not traditional biking heaven by any means, but certainly just the ticket for a leisurely cruise.

The Zumo has sort of decided to play ball again, drawing me a nice little map and everything; but now its just off on some acid trip with the routing: Observe the detour to nowhere, one of several, erm, for no apparent reason.

7840151514_83e8b73918_c.jpg

The traffic is bad for sure in Amalfi itself. Here's the local Polizia hard at it. Quality millinery, what. And I thought Jimmy Saville was deed.

7840146562_76597cb714_c.jpg

A quick break. They read my mind, shame that its closed..

7840156254_f9d7c3fd5a_c.jpg

In to Naples. Now in my short run in, and little else, the verdict is that this most definitely isn't a place of incredible beauty. Lots of rubbish still piles about in the streets , they still haven't sorted that, and a pot holed main road to the port that even Albanians used to their 'It's a knockout' road surfaces would raise an eyebrow to.

The port is found at least, and that then signals to try and find the Tirrenia ticket office. It's some treasure hunt. No signs or anything helpful. I'm directed wrong a few times but I get it in the end, and small mercy in so far as the exchange of my e-ticket for a real piece of paper is a very straight forward affair.

Naples to Santa Maria Navarrese

So, bound for the seas again. I'm starting to feel like a motorcycling version of Uncle Albert.

There are two bikes as well as my own to get on to the Ferry. We play a game I'm now all too familiar with. We queue up by this beautiful gleaming white modern new Tirrenia boat, most impressive it looks too, like a little mini-cruise liner. I dream of having a cocktail in the starlight lounge whilst watching the late night disco world go by. The reality of course, is when its time to go aboard we get directed past it to a grotty little primarily freight tub on the other side of the dock. Oh well. On and up.

And the 'Bar del Giglio'. I believe there's an example of Italian sea navigation still sat in Giglio Harbour. I hope that’s not a bloody omen.

7840600226_4243e46c5c_c.jpg

I'm first in to the bar and look to find a good place to haul up. I don't have a cabin, so look for a cosy sofa, which I find, and one with the only power socket on view, which is grand, so I can charge my bits and bobs, too. All goes well, that is until the boat starts to fill, and I'm surrounded by a group of people. Now keep in mind, I've been riding most of the day in 30 degree heat, and my jeans haven't been washed in 1,750 miles, so I'm not exactly surfing on in out of the Old Spice advert; but by golly the people who surround me on the other sofas seriously 'pen and ink', to quote a cockney phrase. To add to the terror, to term the air conditioning as 'Asthmatic' is the understatement of the year. It is so bad I really struggle not to honk. No way can I stand 17 hours of this :blast

As an offchance I go and ask the purser if there is any cabin space going. I take my tankbag, and it has the holy pictures that Michael gave me from Lake Bled, looking up through the plastic. 'Ah, Bellisimo!' gently says the elderly purser, tapping on the clear plastic, referring to the pics, and says he can do nothing at the moment, but writes my name down and if anything comes up he will call me after the ship has sailed.

About 45 minutes later I can hear a name vaguely reminscant of mine being called over the tannoy, so I wander down. Slowly, the purser tells me he can do something, and for this.. He slowly writes down a number, I'm expecting something scary, but when he holds it up it says '32,54'. So that's 32 Euros for a cabin for me. I almost take his arm off at the socket. So it's to my quarters don't you know. Goodbye to those whiffy losers. A good shower, domestic chores, four silly little cans of lager, a read of my book, quick look at the map, and then a watch of 'The Long Good Friday' on the laptop. How about that for the perfect nautical evening in.

I sleep through to a reasonable hour the following morning- it's 9.30 when I properly wake and we're not docking until 11.30. Happy days. Shortly I'm greeted with a coastal view of Sardinia..

7840547830_7a26cf87fd_c.jpg

.. And I go up on deck to see what is to come..

7840542892_8214b962a8_c.jpg

Disembarkation time. I bump into the French couple who are on a CBR1000 and chat briefly as they pack. They give me a recommendation of some good places to see as they're Sardinian regulars and are very glad to help :thumb

After a splash of Fuel and in doing so navigating another one of those bloody self service machines, I decide to skip Cagliari as I want to see some of the Island. I head a short way North, and after a quick coffee I head North East to find something wobbly as showed on the map. Reward: The road is wonderful, worthy of comparison to any great one I've ever been on. Excellent curves, a great surface, and all that holiday traffic has gravitated to the coast. Top notch.

Banca di Joddrell..

7840532216_63be46b087_c.jpg

Getting toasty (it says 38.5 in case you can't see) :eek

7840537570_7a43a95692_c.jpg

So a stop for an Ice Cream which again is melting quicker than I can snap the bloody thing..

7840560822_7561a878bd_c.jpg

Even when I get to the coast I'm surprised at just how sparse the traffic is. I recall my brief internet research on the Island describing the place as one of the thinly populated regions of Italy so now it begins to all add up.

I haul up at a place called Santa Maria Navaerrese, just north of Tortoli. My intention was to camp, but I decide that in this heat messing about with the tent is a silly idea and melt into a hotel. Mmmm.. sweet sweet Air Con. I discover a new beer, Ichnusa, from Sardinia :) Verdict: Approval :beer:

7840552186_1984f40f3e_c.jpg

And an a-la-carte four course suggested menu that is just way too tempting to miss. I had a 50 Euro reserve note tucked away, so that'll be that going for a burton tonight then. So, let's see: Locally Cured Meats and Cheese; Fresh Sardinian Pasta with Tuna and Capers; Grilled Beefsteak. Back of the net. Wrapped up with a dessert tipple, evidently they term it 'a meditation drink' rather than a dessert wine. Unusual stuff; works for me. Ommmmmmmm... :ChrisKelly

Oh, and did I mention.. Sardinia is quite beautiful. I'll try and get some better pictures tomorrow.

Santa Maria Navarrese to Olbia

Looking ahead I book a crossing to Corsica tomorrow afternoon with an operator called 'Moby'. I get the image that the outfit is ran by a short bald techno DJ. And whilst I'm at it, wasn't Moby the name of George Roper's pet goldfish? Note to self: Must lay off that 'meditational' dessert wine.

After a solid breakfast once again its time to pack up again. I thought check out was an hour later than it ultimately was, so it was from shorts, t-shirt and wretched flip-flops to full gear and packed up in 25 minutes. I'm getting quite good at this packing up and going lark.

I set off to ride to the Supramonte and through the Parco Nazionale del Gennargentu, which contains Europe's biggest gorge. The start is ominous, not five minutes in taking one of the back roads I encounter one of the steepest upward cambers I'd ever come across to go up. No warning signs or anything like that. A very careful and precarious ascent :eek:

But rewarding views at the top..

7845900504_1c353b4cec_c.jpg

The road joins up with the mightily impressive SS125 and runs in to the town of Baunei, beatifully nestled in the side of the mountain. Inviting bars and cafes with panoramic views, such a shame I'm only 25 minutes into my run, just too early to stop. Another time. Quite Superb.

7845897822_e505f888ea_c.jpg

Amongst the strange sightings is a football pitch on a cliff. Can't says I'd fancy the ball boy job much..

7845898856_4f261fee8a_c.jpg

Parco del Haydock in the middle of nowhere..

7845891778_9d599deff2_c.jpg

And now it's time for the Galleria. (Cue Tony Hart Music.) Huge long stretches built into the cliffs..

7845896190_831c61ce4f_c.jpg

Not a bad view, even from there eh?

7845894978_646026006e_c.jpg

What can you possibly give to the most discerning Gser? Ah, but of course.. give the gift of Gravel :)

7845893314_3dab13b20f_c.jpg

A splendid ascent to the Passo Genna Silana..

7845890860_4a56140e16_c.jpg

More inviting roads.. :bow

7845885864_8ae28d26bc_c.jpg

Down to the Goruppu Gorge. Evidently it takes 3 hours and the right equipment to get to enjoy the gorge in full splendour. Flip flop wearers need not apply..

7845903986_9077fcba6f_c.jpg

Anyone who goes to Sardinia and willfully ignores the areas away from the coast needs their head seeing to.

A quick coffee by the sea where it's a little cooler and I'm off towards Olbia. The roads are still most excellent with beautiful backdrops..

7845903146_3f77bdd8a2_c.jpg

For the run in I join up with the dual carriageway Super Strada. Sardinia has no Autostrada or toll roads. I can't see the difference personally from this and an Autostrada, aside from on an most Autostrada there's a sweaty little man in a box at the exit demanding money.

A very tidy and peaceful run in, and, with the temperature hitting 39.5 today on the gauge I wimp out and opt for another hotel- a booking.com special deal at some four star resort, which is as cheap as chips, so that works..

A candidate for the 'Show us your adventure motorcycle' thread. There's a scooter under there, y'know..

7845901904_5fe0e072b0_c.jpg

Today was another musical day, with highlights of Sigur Ros's 'Svo Hljott'*1 playing backdrop to the spectacular beauty of the Genno Silana pass, and Ulrich Schnauss's 'Monday Paracetomol'*2 soothing a gentle float along the Super Strada.

Attention tour running and trip planning peeps: You could do an awful lot worse than to run a trip to Sardinia. It's ace. Really, top quality :thumb

And Corsica awaits full of promise, too ;)

*1 The Sigur Ros linky has pretty BBC Planet Earth Footage.
*2 The Ulrich Schnauss linky has some bloke driving about in a KTM X-Bow. It's not me.

I don't know, all that entertainment and at no extra charge eh.

Cracking write up and piccies again Roberto - thanks for sharing!

Ohhh, must get down to Sardinia one of these days. Looks lovely. Corsica is a stunning place too, you can look over to Sardinia from the stunning little town of Bonfacio, which will be your port of entry into Corsica I reckon. The inland parts of Corsica are stunning too with dozens of gorgeous wee roads, leading up to Corte.
Enjoy :D

Rob

All those empty roads - Had to cross Norfolk on the A47 today, traffic nightmare, bumper to bumper!

Fantastic write up Rob, look forward to the daily edition.

Back
Top Bottom