Schuberth S2 & Autocom Wire3 Bluetooth

wire 3 positioning

Hi Bogey
Newbie error - i didn't know how to subscribe to a thread so i missed your response.

I like the idea of pushing the wire3 up front away from the autocom gear - my problem might have been its proximity to the PMR and the autocom BT phone dongle.

I've just received my two wire3 units back from Starcom, who said they benchtested them and said they were fine. I sent them to be tested under warranty, and for my troubles was sent an invoice with the return of the two units. I will do some bench testing of my own, when i get the time, and try moving the wire3 units away from interference following your example.

However, like you that might be a little while, i seem to be on the cusp of a final drive problem, after only 18k clicks, and so am now off to try to find how to post a couple of youtube links in the appropriate thread to ask the considered opinion of those with suitable knowledge what the mad clanging is that's coming from the gearbox / drive area of my 2010 gas.

Anyway, to stay on message here, i look forward to hearing your test report with your wire3 setup.

regards
bess the newf.

Hi Bogey
Newbie error - i didn't know how to subscribe to a thread so i missed your response.

I like the idea of pushing the wire3 up front away from the autocom gear - my problem might have been its proximity to the PMR and the autocom BT phone dongle.

I've just received my two wire3 units back from Starcom, who said they benchtested them and said they were fine. I sent them to be tested under warranty, and for my troubles was sent an invoice with the return of the two units. I will do some bench testing of my own, when i get the time, and try moving the wire3 units away from interference following your example.

However, like you that might be a little while, i seem to be on the cusp of a final drive problem, after only 18k clicks, and so am now off to try to find how to post a couple of youtube links in the appropriate thread to ask the considered opinion of those with suitable knowledge what the mad clanging is that's coming from the gearbox / drive area of my 2010 gas.

Anyway, to stay on message here, i look forward to hearing your test report with your wire3 setup.

regards
bess the newf.

Sorry to hear about your suspected trouble with your final drive especially seen as my GS is 2010 as well. What miles have you on it?? Mileage on mine is really low so hoping I don't have ant trouble with this. If it does turn out to be a big problem you might be able to persuade BMW to do something on a good will basis especially I ally if it is a known problem. I had some success with some issues I had(although not engine/final drive) on the bike and on the other halts car as well so they do do it by times, however low miles on noth might have helped the cause. Anyway i Hope it turns out alright for you.

Might get a chance to do a bit of testing over the weekend and if I do I post an update
Regards
B

Hi

you may find this http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324224 thread interesting, if only for amusement value. I requested help diagnosing my final drive problems, only to discover that I was the source of the problem.

I look forward to your road test with newly positioned wire3a. Where did you hide the wire3? Is it anywhere near the alarm antenna? would that matter? I have been thinking that the proximity of my wire3a with my autocom BT dongle for hooking up my phone may have been my major problem. Autocom/Starcom were unable to advise on correct set up. Anyway it all worked fine in the garage, but never on the road.

I spend 80% of my rides by myself, and only a small fraction of the remainder with other autocom equiped riders so i have not yet invested enough time to iron out the wire3 problems in my set up. If your system works, please let me know as much as you can about where the superpro lives, where the wire3a is, etc. Look forward to it.

regards
Bess the newf.

Hi

you may find this http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324224 thread interesting, if only for amusement value. I requested help diagnosing my final drive problems, only to discover that I was the source of the problem.

I look forward to your road test with newly positioned wire3a. Where did you hide the wire3? Is it anywhere near the alarm antenna? would that matter? I have been thinking that the proximity of my wire3a with my autocom BT dongle for hooking up my phone may have been my major problem. Autocom/Starcom were unable to advise on correct set up. Anyway it all worked fine in the garage, but never on the road.

I spend 80% of my rides by myself, and only a small fraction of the remainder with other autocom equiped riders so i have not yet invested enough time to iron out the wire3 problems in my set up. If your system works, please let me know as much as you can about where the superpro lives, where the wire3a is, etc. Look forward to it.

regards
Bess the newf.

Hi Bess the newf,

Well as you will have probably gathered by now I was full of good intentions for the weekend but due to a combination of bits not arriving in the post, slower than anticipated progress setting things up and what we consider in our neck of the woods to be bitterly cold weathe, I didnt get to do any road testing just yet.

I got a CAB-55 cable from starcom as recommended by Autocom support to connect the Zumo to Aux1 on the Superpro AVI on the GS. I stripped out the existing 4066 cable which I am now going to use on the K1200 set up with the SPA unit. Problem with that turns out the 4066 is a little short so need a lead to extend this a little. I am trying to get that at the moment.

Back to the GSA andapparently I also have to disable the power to Aux 1(Which I had enabled when I originally bought it and used it with a Nokia phone) before connecting this up so have stripped out the unit to do this. Should have this done by the weekend, I then will reinstall everything and hopefully should be able to do a quick test.

The K1200 set up will probably have to wait until the following week.

By the way glad to hear that your final drive concerns were just paronia, I suffer with that a bit too, and am going to get the fuel pump work around and a spare ring antenna just to be on the safe side.

Will keep you posted how I get on.

Regards

Brian

Hi,

Well I made a bit of progress over the weekend. I opened up the Superpro unit and removed the link to cut the power to AUX 1. I reinstalled the unit below the tool tray this time and re fitted all the wiring with the Zumo connected to Aux 1 with the CAB-5 cable.

I ran the rider lead to the base of the fuel tank just above the front of the seat. I extended from here wiht a helmet lead up under the bodywork along the tank to the front of the bike where I mounted the Wire3A beside the instrument cluster.

This means at the base of the tank I can disconnect the wire 3A and revert to a wired heet set up if I want. Although if I do this the Wire3a will be still have power to it, but the ground in the rider lead will be disconnected, but Autovom say this wont be an issue.

So everything is installed, wired up, checked and ready to go. Would have gave it a quick test except for the snow. Once I get out and use it anger I'll get back with how it goes.

nice write up - but i like piccies

Bogey

You've been busy. I like the setup, and will be interested to see how it goes on a road test once the snow stops.

I'd love to see some pictures of your work - how accessible is the wire 3a so you are able to press the fiddly reset button? would love to see the wiring runs.

When I get back to my garage in a few days I'll take pics of my set up, where i resoldered a load of new connections to the top of my GSA alu top box to allow set up in there of the super pro.

hopefully you can get some piccies up for those of us like me who have limited imagination and like to spend their evenings looking at nice neat cable runs.

thanks for the write up.
bess the newf

Hi bess the newf,

Well th old testing didnt go as well as expected. I disabled the power link in my Super Pro AAI and installed everything as I had proposed in earlier posts. i got the CAB-55 cable to connect the Zumo and connected it into AUX 1.

However for some reason I am getting nothing. I tried connecting in other Aux inputs but still nothing. Reverted to a hard wired set up and still nothing.

I replaced the CAB-55 with the cable i had been using and which worked previously adn still nothing.

I know the SRC2 is connecting because I checked it transmitting on the bike to bike and it is being recieved on other radio all beit with the volume lowish.

Not sure if something went wrong when I disabled the power link and have been onto to autocom support just to chheck if they can throw any light on it.

Heres are a few photos of the install .

IMG_1400_zpsed25c880.jpg.html

http://s750.beta.photobucket.com/us... Autocm Install/IMG_1400_zpsed25c880.jpg.html

IMG_1402_zps7354e456.jpg.html

http://s750.beta.photobucket.com/us... Autocm Install/IMG_1402_zps7354e456.jpg.html

IMG_1402_zps7354e456.jpg.html

http://s750.beta.photobucket.com/us... Autocm Install/IMG_1402_zps7354e456.jpg.html

IMG_1408_zps080a3b8e.jpg.html

http://s750.beta.photobucket.com/us... Autocm Install/IMG_1408_zps080a3b8e.jpg.html

I just used a plactic bag to protect the Wire3A and I will have to sort something a bit more permanent once I get everything sorted.

I will stick up some more photos later once I hopefully get everything working.

I'm a bit peed off with all tha hassle getting everything to work but I will just have to stick at it.

Regards

B

autocom fiddles and wire 3a BT

Dear Bogey

sorry to hear about your autocom hassles. It is very much appreciated that you took the trouble to take some pictures.

Because of the bad weather I've not been incentivised to get to the bottom of my wire 3a hassles. However, I will post some pictures here that i took a while back, with the intention of making a full write up. I never got round to finishing the write up because i couldn't make the wire 3a BT sets work properly on a road test.

When I get more in to the mood i hope to fix or totally abandon the wire 3a set up. If I abandon it i'll go the route of the Sena SM10 to give me the walkie talkie capacity with GPS and phone and music. Anyway for now, here are some pictures of my unfinished project....

Attachments

• DSC_1263.jpg
    DSC_1263.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 1,090
  • DSC_1258.jpg
    DSC_1258.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 1,067
  • DSC_1264.jpg
    DSC_1264.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 1,145
  • DSC_1265.jpg
    DSC_1265.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 1,046
  • DSC_1266.jpg
    DSC_1266.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 946
Hi bess the newf,

Fair play to you, I just couldn't bring myself to drill holes in the top box like that.
That type of set up gives you lots of room for all the bits and bobs though. With my set up it was a bit of a tight squeeze and as on my case when things ain't working right, getting out to check things and putting it back is diddly to say the least.

What annoys me most in my case is I must have messed something up myself because it was working before.

Anyway I enjoyed the spin today although it was cold and really really windy. The Schuberth S2 felt really good and was very comfy do at least that's something.

Keep you posted.

B

yup, it wasn't just drilling holes in the top box it was a major fiddle getting yachty wiring connections (properly waterproof) for the 7pin pillion wired connection, and the connections for the ptt and the sat nav. lots of soldering getting the multi-cored cables working etc etc. But top box mount seems way to go, because I can take it off the bike, albeit with need to unfasten four connectors on the outside of the box. But it is waterproof, and accessible for fiddling with. Would just like to get it to work.

I sympathise with the problems - you'll just have to find the time one day to slowly identify the bugs and iron them out. There is a parallel thread on much the same issue where some bloke's bought a 7gpp fleabay BT module. I've asked him to send us a report to see if his works with his autocom set up. I've yet to hear anyone who's got autocom working flawlessly with BT headsets.

Yes I had a read of a few theeads on that.
U think though they were mainly bluetoothing the phone to the hub unit rather or just looking to get sound and music.

Fun starts when you try to do away with that headset lead and still have GPS, Phone, Bike to Bike, Rider to pillion and music.

Maybe we just want to much!

B

yup, it wasn't just drilling holes in the top box it was a major fiddle getting yachty wiring connections (properly waterproof) for the 7pin pillion wired connection, and the connections for the ptt and the sat nav. lots of soldering getting the multi-cored cables working etc etc. But top box mount seems way to go, because I can take it off the bike, albeit with need to unfasten four connectors on the outside of the box. But it is waterproof, and accessible for fiddling with. Would just like to get it to work.

I sympathise with the problems - you'll just have to find the time one day to slowly identify the bugs and iron them out. There is a parallel thread on much the same issue where some bloke's bought a 7gpp fleabay BT module. I've asked him to send us a report to see if his works with his autocom set up. I've yet to hear anyone who's got autocom working flawlessly with BT headsets.

I would suggest that if one is mounting any BT transmitter/receiver inside a fully-enclosed metal box, that you let Autocom/Starcom/Chainspeed know about this configuration.

Just a quick update,

I've been tooting and growing with Autocom support. I decided to strip everything off both bikes and try and bench test them running off a battery. Have some problem with Ayx 1 and 2 on the Superpro AVI.

Got the newer Superpro Automatic all set up and working as it should. Ran it with the wired helmet set up and using the Wire 3A. Using the wire3A to BT to the S2 the volume was considerably lower and I would feel not usable on the road. Some further tests I am hoping to do to cross check where the problem lies is to try the Wire3A with a different BT helmet maybe the Shark system if I can a lend of one. I will also connect the S2 direct to the Zumo by BT and see what the volume is like without going through the Autocom. If this works well it would really confirm that the issue is withe wire 3A.

I'll keep you posted how it goes.

By way of quick update.

After the bench testing I did with the Superpro AVI I decided to install the Superpro Automatic on the GS and, what do you know, after installing everything it all worked as it should. Tried it with a wired headset first and GPS, Phone were coming through loud and clear.

I then decided to try the Schuerth S2 with SRC expecting a drop off in volume and reception but again what do you know it was really good. Maybe a very slight drop in volume over hard wired but hardly noticable. I had to turn the volume down with the hard wired setup and didnt turn it back up using the bluetooth arrangement. Iwas using a Zumo with phone bluetoothed to it and then the Zumo wired to the autocom. I palyed music from the Zumo SD and it was nice and loud. Quality might not be up to standard expected by audiophiles though but I was just delighted to have everything very audible and clear. Bike to bike worked perfect as well.

I'm delighted with the way it seems to be working now. I will be out all day tommorow on the road and will report back on how it holds up ovwer a full day.

I will then have to try and install and sort the Superpro AVI on the K but given that I have got one setup to work I'm a bit more confident I can get the other to work as well.

Regrads

B

fantastic stuff - well set up. Is your wire3a unit still in a plastic bag by the dash board - it might just be that mine needs to come out of its meta box - i think I'll go a-tinkering tomorrow...

watch the snow. ride carefully

Hi ness the newf,

Yep, it's still in the same place although I found a smaller neater plastic zip bag to give it the weather protection. In the long term I hope to find something a bit more suited to this.
Regards
B

Just a quick update. After full day in very wet and windy conditions I am happy to report everything worked as I'd hoped.
Everything loud and clear even at motorway speeds.
Regards
B

The setup on the GS is working great. Spent several full days out using it and no problems. Reconnects every time a few seconds after turning on. SRC2 fitted to the S2 lasts at least two full days without charging so no problems there. Really pleased with the set up in the end.

On the K I have sent the superpro AVI to Autcom to have it checked out. Once I make any progress I will update.

Regards

B

Back
Top Bottom