1950s Proposed Road Race Circuit

(RIP) andrewgsadv

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
There was a serious effort in the 1950s to establish a road race circuit in the Peak District. Starting in Parsley Hay A515 toward Buxton , Tagg Lane to Monyash onto The Rake and Long Rake to Middleton Corner , Bolderstones to Newhaven then A515 Buxton passing The Jug of Glass Inn returning to Parsley Hay Finish Line and Main Stand. No archive about who proposed but was supported by Reg Parnell a member of the Works Aston Martin Team who went on to become their Manager. Another supporter was the Works MV and Moto Guzzi rider and TT winner Bill Lomas,who also lived locally.
Have ridden all the bits at certain times, am out to ride it all tomorrow. Julie looks over my shoulder and reminds me that there are many jobs to be done now its fine.
Yes I know theres work to be done but your brother ex car racer is going to want to see this.

The article in Motorsport Magazine (May 2012 Edition) entitled Peak Practice by Simon Taylor was sent by my Father-in-law. Makes for good reading .

Looked on their website
www.MOTORSPORTMAGAZINE.COM

Cannot find article , probably my poor IT skills.

A mapsource link of the circuit nearly 12 miles in total is at bottom of this page.

A picture of the circuit

P7230001.jpg

With high viz on health and safety manual tucked in top box will go over and have a slow run round observing all speed limits.

11 am Norfolk Arms Ringinglow Road if anyone wants to come and join in for an all the speed limits observed ride
.:augie

Attachments

• Proposed Peak District Race Circuit from 1950s.gdb
    9 KB · Views: 241
I was talking to a real Old Lad called Bill Revel in tiddser Tideswell There should be a programme/documentary made of Bill - he is inspration as a 70 plus man maybe 80 he ridea a old 350 BSA and "makes" engines from junk and owt he can find last time a saw him I asked what on for today Bill ?? he tode me he was making a 6 mm thread sparkplug :eek:
In his old tails he also included the Derbyshire Manx course story He may be able to help you He lives just off main street ask anyone :thumb2

I will do a Mapsorse guide and post the "course" on here in a minute

Here it is :thumb2 Its a good course / nice ride anyway

Bollix sorry I didnt see you had done that Andrew can we delete my tosh post please

Attachments

• Derbyshire TT course.gdb
    9.2 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
No problem Mick, the article in Motorsport tells us a lot more,dont want to fall foul of any copyright issues. Someone brighter might be able to find article on their website. Certainly worth a read.

Bolderstones section can get very slippery in the wet - tree cover (sap) and lorries (diesel) :eek:

Bolderstones section can get very slippery in the wet - tree cover (sap) and lorries (diesel) :eek:

Thanks Spout I`ll not mention it to my brother in law and have the camera ready:D

A grand day for a run out , ride will be brisk and within my limits , thanks for the heads up though. :thumb

Back
Top Bottom