Siberia 2012 story so far

Quick update- they left Tynda yesterday and have headed down the BAM road. Kev reckons it'll take bout 10 days to get to the top of Lake Baikal.

He'll be out of phone and Internet coverage but he sent me a spot on MSG so I know he's safe:thumb

Mark managed to replace his camping gear in Yakutsk so it's all good:)

I'm sunning myself in a beautiful town near Aosta in Italy:bounce1

I'm on a road trip with the kids! We're off to Lake Garda tomorrow for 5 nights, then up to Austria:pullface

I'll keep yis posted on their progress:thumb2

garda

We rode thru lake garda last year, crackin ride that was.
Cant wait for the the long way round's next installment..

fair play to you guys , looks fantastic , wish i was there now !!!!!!

can't wait to see ye in Ukraine ... especially you Marko :toungincheek:comfort:tigger

Oh I'm enjoying this in the safety of my settee with a single malt :jager

Ride safe you guys, keep it coming :thumb

:beerjug:

Enjoying the read & pics keep it coming, lmao at the drunken Russian, sounds like one of your BBQ guests, did he play guitar by any chance :D, ride safe lads :beerjug:

The guy on the right in the white in this pic........

attachment.php

I'm pretty sure he's the gay trucker who shacked up with Timmyoneblonde for those missing three days that Tim doesn't want to talk about :augie

Great stuff so far....keep safe and keep it coming :clap:clap

Was reading this at lunch time the other day at work and kept bursting out laughing, everyone wondered what I was laughing at.

Before I go any further I must mention that we see a big brown bear on the road just after Tomtop a couple of days ago, Should have mentioned it before but when you get back knackered you forget bits even important bits like that! The bear was standing in the road about 500 metres from us so I sped up to try to film him but the noise from the bike made him look up at us then dart into the woods and my head cam battery was flat. Gutted!!! Mark has it on film but he was behind me so not very clear, Oh well we’ll have to go again!

2nd August 2012again today mom had prepared us a lovely breakfast so we sat around for a couple of hours chatting and eating before Nick and Anna took us out to the museums, First was the permafrost museum where you went underground 4m e temperature is -8 all year round. There are few exhibits there but had the frozen remains of a baby woolly mammoth, then off to the woolly mammoth and woolly rhino museum and last but not least the natural history museum.
On the way home we stopped off for a Chinese, really nice place with the short tables great food but nothing like the Chinese we get at home.
3rd august 2012

Time to leave Yakutsk and our new friends but not before the breakfast mom had once again prepared and then the good byes, a few more family members came over to see us off and wish us luck on our travels and 2 of them wanted to ride the bikes! How could we say no! so one of nicks cousins went off on marks bike like a bat out of hell and the other cousin went off on mine and disappeared, he had got to the end of the road and stalled it but I was thinking the worst!
So off we head waving goodbye all the way down the road, we had to cross the lena river again so it meant hanging around for a ferry for an hour or so. When we got off the other side we headed off in the wrong direction for about 10 mins which was a pain as the road was shite.
The road was quite rough leaving Yakutsk and was starting to take its toll on the bikes with nuts and bolts coming loose and some falling out altogether, tough ole road and relentless give me the road of bones any day!
Made camp in off the road that at about 9pm and called it a day.

4th August 2012
This morning whilst having a cuppa and checking the bikes I found that one of my upper tank mounts had sheered off, oh dear I said! Luckily mark had a bolt the right size though not tampered so in that went and we’ll just have to keep an eye on it!
We had about 150 km of tarmac today which was a nice break from the constant vibration and rock smashing, the funny thing here is that you could ride for 100km of gravel/rock then all of a sudden you come across 500m of really good tarmac in the middle of nowhere, why I don’t know.
Riding along about 4 this afternoon and we bumped into 2 guys (Mark and ) from Poland heading for Magadan we stood and swapped information and had a chat for an hour or so, these guys were on Africa twins so very heavy bikes to be doing these roads on but they seemed very capable lads!
So off we went again on our way to tinda but by 8pm we still had 80 miles to go and the road was rough so whilst we were sitting on a bridge waiting to pull off the road without being seen we spotted something coming towards us in the distance so we decided to let whoever it was pass then we’d head in and make camp out of sight. It turned out the thing coming towards us was a guy from Switzerland on his push bike also heading for Magadan so after a brief chat with him we all made camp together had tea and a good ole chat, this guy is something else!!!
Tonight I noticed that part of my fairing frame had snapped so tomorrow we’ll have to try find an ali welder to sort it before the Bam road. Our rear tires are getting very low so we are going to try to arrange for tires to be delivered to irecutz when we get there in 10 days or so.

5th August 2012

Got up this morning had tea with the swiss guy who’s name escapes me at the mo, attempted a temporary repair on the bike.
We only have 80 miles to Tinda where I should be able to get the bike sorted, Hopefully!
So arrived in Tinda around midday got checked in the hotel and had our first hot shower since we arrived in Russia over 2 weeks ago, It was great!!!!
Found an auto parts shop and whilst I was messing with the bike outside a fella came over and pointed towards his garage and beckoned me over then he took over, his drill grinder and all his tools came out and he cut one of his spanners down to act as a splint on my fairing frame. As Alexandra was working on the bike a crowd started to gather and it turned out I was at the hq of a local endure biker club what a result! Met a guy called max with great English so we chatted whilst Alexandra fixed my bike.
So the bike is sorted good to go for the bam road but Alexandra won’t take any money but agreed to come out for a pint with the rest of the crowd so I could repay him some way with some food and beer, It turned out to be a great night was a good laugh with the lads.

6th August 2012

Up and at it but not to early after a late night last night, we went out to get some provisions for the bam then fuelled up and before we knew it was 1pm and we were only just ready to leave. It is raining this morning but not too heavy yet we had a very heavy shower last night which could cause problem with the river crossings on the Bam but we’ll have to wait and see.
The first 120 miles of the Bam road is very good flat compacted gravel and sandy mudafter that it started to become a bit rucky.
The first town we came to we went in to try and find petrol as we had done 120 miles and just wanted to top up at every opportunity as the guys we were drinking with last night said there was no benzine stations for 800km,there is no station here but the lady in the shop called a guy who came to collect us and take us to his garage where he had a personal supply of which he gave us about 15 lts to top off both bikes and again he would not take any money from us. Getting the petrol took about an hour with one thing and another we rode til 8pm then found a railway cabin to make a camp for the night, had tea lit a fire in the stove and chilled out for a while so as to get an early start in the morning. We should bump into Walter Colebatch tomorrow by our reckoning as he is heading the opposite direction on the bam! That’s it for today folks gotta hit the hay

www.mycharity.ie/event/siberia2012

Attachments

• nutter.jpg
    nutter.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 487
  • mozzy nets.jpg
    mozzy nets.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 488
  • log crossing.jpg
    log crossing.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 489
  • bog crossing.jpg