overtaking on solid white line

Old Den

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ok so who has a good memory?
Refererence overtaking on a solid white line
I am sure that the highway code used to say you could overtake a tractor doing less than 10mph. During a recent discussion it was pointed out the highway code says ,bicycles, horses,road maintainence vehicles,stationary vehicle,to turn right etc. Now maybe I`m just old but somewhere I have read and was taught about tractors and 10mph.
So if any of you have an in depth knowledge of the traffic laws when did this change ? According to my friendly traffic officer he could book a bike if it crossed the white line while overtaking a tractor even if it was doing below 10mph.
My memory is not that bad but I cannot find the answer.
Cheers Den

You can - with caution...see 129 below

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070306

A broken white line. This marks the centre of the road. When this line lengthens and the gaps shorten, it means that there is a hazard ahead. Do not cross it unless you can see the road is clear and wish to overtake or turn off.

Double white lines where the line nearest to you is broken. This means you may cross the lines to overtake if it is safe, provided you can complete the manoeuvre before reaching a solid white line on your side. White direction arrows on the road indicate that you need to get back onto your side of the road.

Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.

Remember the Highway Code isn't the law, but many of the rules, if broken are against the law.

In this case, the HC would have included tractors if was legal but it wasn't:thumb

(In just back from Cardington DSA last night mode:D)

You can - with caution...see 129 below

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070306

A broken white line. This marks the centre of the road. When this line lengthens and the gaps shorten, it means that there is a hazard ahead. Do not cross it unless you can see the road is clear and wish to overtake or turn off.

Double white lines where the line nearest to you is broken. This means you may cross the lines to overtake if it is safe, provided you can complete the manoeuvre before reaching a solid white line on your side. White direction arrows on the road indicate that you need to get back onto your side of the road.

Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.

Where does it say 'tractor' in 129?

Speaking to someone about this the other day. A road maintenance vehicle is defined as carrying a yellow beacon and a "keep left" or "keep right" arrow. This doesn't include tractors that are moving between fields. However, a tractor who was cutting the hedgerow with a beacon and an arrow would be OK. Apparently tractors used to be listed but they are now making a lot that can do 40-50 mph and as such thought they'd best remove them to avoid confusion

We were also talking about how many people believed that solid lines mean "no overtaking", which they don't. You can overtake if you don't cross the line, a subtle but significant difference.

A traffic officer also told me that you can overtake stationary vehicles, so can filter, even on the wrong side, up to the point that the vehicles start moving. Whilst I'm sure he's technically correct this isn't one that I'd like to try out :nenau

Dae.

Er when did last see a tractor only doing 10 mph?

:blast

See my post above. They originally included tractors as they were slow as chuff, but with the new high speed ones they had to remove them from the highway code as people were taking the piss and overtaking ones that were doing 40-50 on solid lines.

That's the story I've heard from both a traffic officer and my mate who's a road planner/designer.

BUT...

....just bear in mind that if you are using one of the exemptions and overtaking on a solid line, there is a caveat at the end of the exemptions that says something like along the lines of you can use the exemption if in doing so you don't cause danger.

Therefore overtaking that pedal cyclist whilst going round a blind left hand bend could still wind you up with a ticket.

Also bear in mind that not all solid white lines are enforceable.

Solid white line down the centre of the road needs to be preceded by at least one throw-back / tuck-in arrow and there has to be cats eyes within the lining for it to be a lawful sign i.e. enforceable. Minor break in the solid line i.e. for a protected right-turn lane is still viewed as a continuous system of solid white line, so be careful if you think you can overtake somebody quickly using a right-turn lane (which is a dumb idea anyway).

Solid white line bounding a hatched area on a motorway (at on and off-slips, no arrow required here but do not cross these lines and go into the hatched area as that too will give you 3 points and a £60 fine. Confusingly, the same set-up on a non-motorway road is not generallyenforceable.

We were also talking about how many people believed that solid lines mean "no overtaking", which they don't. You can overtake if you don't cross the line, a subtle but significant difference.

One that got me a ticket years ago.

Approaching the end of a dual carriageway
a solid white line angled in from the second lane at a low angle to narrow back to single lane.

I overtook and coule easily have passed without crossing the line, but as the road was still two lanes wide and nothing was about I gently passed the car and went over the line for a few feet.

I could have ridden closer to the car, or speeded up and finished the overtake sooner, but I was just cruising along merrily so did not bother.

Mr Plod was up the road in a layby (probably waiting for speeding bikes as it was GP day and I was headed for Donnington) and pulled out after me and gave me three points - he as much as admitted his remit was to nick as many bikes as possible that day :mad:

Anyway lesson learned, I just pass inches from drivers doors these days instead, excellent bit of educational policing :clap

I know - common sense isn't that common any more. No doubt if you'd not crossed the line they'd have done you for passing too close and riding dangerously.

Solids really bug me. They've just resurface a load of roads near me and when the lines have been repainted they've gone from normal ones to double solid, sometimes for miles on end even though the roads are wide and view is unrestricted.

A traffic officer also told me that you can overtake stationary vehicles, so can filter, even on the wrong side, up to the point that the vehicles start moving. Whilst I'm sure he's technically correct this isn't one that I'd like to try out :nenau

Dae.

A few years ago there were extensive road works on the A40 into Gloucester. This resulted in long tailbacks, i crossed solid double white lines passing stationary traffic (filtering) and pulled back in when i saw oncoming vehicles. One car i went past was a Copper, either stationary or just moving, I got away with that one but would assume its down to wether the copper was having a good day or wanted to be pedantic and book me!

A few years ago there were extensive road works on the A40 into Gloucester. This resulted in long tailbacks, i crossed solid double white lines passing stationary traffic (filtering) and pulled back in when i saw oncoming vehicles. One car i went past was a Copper, either stationary or just moving, I got away with that one but would assume its down to wether the copper was having a good day or wanted to be pedantic and book me!

Hence my reluctance to try it out for myself :) Can't think of a time where I'm in such a rush that it's worth risking that many points on my license and the hassle it brings.

Thanks lads for all the input but I`m looking for when the words `tractor`disappeared from the HC and `maintenance vehicle` appeared.
Just that having been on the roads for 48years I was still overtaking `tractors` doing less than 10mph as instructed and no I don`t ride with someone in front with a red flag!
Thanks Den

Luckily there aren't "white line camera's" so if you must get past that tractor and choose to do so with a plod car in view it will be down to disgression.

I would guess if it really is doing 10mph most coppers are not likely bust you for it, but if it is whizzing along at a respectable pace they most likely would.....

... Unless there down on there targets for the month in which case you've had it :mad:

I would probably do such a move, but only after doing a quick check fore and aft for any coppers.

Also make sure the road really is clear, if the bastard swings into a field as your alongside you would instantly be in the wrong, and as many a tractor is driven by young kids during the summer don't expect them to indicate / see you there, they are probably playing a game on their phone whilst working for daddy.

Tractors!

Er when did last see a tractor only doing 10 mph?

:blast

+1:thumb

Most tractors these days are travelling between 25-30mph.

'Tractor Etiquette' on the A1 among most of us farmers dictates that we normally straddle the 'nearside' white line to allow better visability for vehicles coming up behind to overtake safely.

Pulling over to let old 'Jock and Mazie' past in their Kia Cee'd and caravan and the seventy five vehicles stuck behind behind them also helps too........!

Tractors are best given a wide berth.........!

My wheels are much, much bigger than everyone elses and can easily open up the side of a car like a tin opener opens a tin of sardines and about as messy if you drive too close......!:rob

FP.:thumb

Back
Top Bottom