Best tyres?

Grunty

Reaction score
I have been running my 1200GS on Bridgestone Battlewings. Talking to my local dealership they recommend Metzeler Tourances as they give slightly better wear. Anyone have any advice?

What kind of riding do you do? What characteristics do you like in a tyre? Could also use the search function.

And welcome to the site!

Hi and thanks. On this bike its nearly all road riding with some gravel/green roads. I know a lot of riders like the chunky look of RT rated tyres but I'm not fussed about looks. Looking for good grip in all weather and longevity.

The metzler tourances (not the exp) should be a good bet then. Just avoid the mud and you'll be fine. For a more off-road biased tyre you could also try the heidenau 60 scouts which are getting good reviews.

Dunlop Roadsmart for me. Great if never off road. Transforms cornering to new dimension.
G

Don't do offroad, so got some proper road tyres on mine. I've chosen the Michelin pilot road 3 which offer fantasit grip and are by far the best wet weather tyre I've ever had.

Thank you all. I guess there are as many preferences as there are tyres. I'll take all this under consideration. Cheers!

Thank you all. I guess there are as many preferences as there are tyres. I'll take all this under consideration. Cheers!

There are indeed. I'd having super sticky tyres on mine for 40% of the time, full off road 10%, and whatever last longest for the rest of the time - I wonder if BMW can add an electronic option so I can just select which I want at any time lol

Don't do offroad, so got some proper road tyres on mine. I've chosen the Michelin pilot road 3 which offer fantasit grip and are by far the best wet weather tyre I've ever had.

i have these two and have spotted a design flaw, i have started to wear the sides away on my boots

MICHELIN ANNAKEES...superb in the dry, superb in the wet, superb value for money and superb mileage return...nuff sed!!

I have Battlewings on the 1200 adv and Tourances ( not exp ) on the 1150.
Both do the job, wet or dry and I'm fecked if I can tell the difference.

Tourances seem to 'square off' a bit more than the Wings.

Dunlop Roadsmart for me. Great if never off road. Transforms cornering to new dimension.
G

+1 :thumb2

Never liked battlewings on my GS, or a Tenere demo I rode with them on.

Tourances are pretty decent, EXP version feels great, but they wear out very quickly (4k to a rear) My new Tenere came with these but the wear characteristics rule them out and there are better new kids on the block.

Roadsmarts worked great, and if you don't go off road RS2's or PR3's should be top of your list.

If you want the rugged looks I would suggest Dunlop TR91, which is probably a Roadsmart with different tread pattern anyway.

I know nothing about off-road, but as I don't fancy much more than easy gravel tracks and hard packed dirt roads I can't see it makes ay difference if I go for road or dual purpose tyres anyway - apat from looks.

IMO the Roadsmarts feel better and give a bit more grip than even Tourance EXP's, and they last a shade longer as well - not as much as I would like, but still noticeably longer lasting.

Horses for courses as ever but I ride my GSA ala fireblade and find Anakee 2 to be outstanding.

Talk to any racer, if it feels right in your head, youre on the right tyres, botom line is its v rare to find poor tyres now days so go for the tread pattern you like or the best deal you can get.

I've just put PR3 Trail's on. Very early days but they do have a 'nice' profile and feel very stable. I'm no Rossi but they do inspire confidence irrepective of the weather.

Mike

Hi all just come back from a 4000mile trip on Anakee2 tyres (1100gs ) Shit Tyre no grip in the wet and not good in dry ? if you want to do 10,000 miles great but i want to stay upright thanks so back to Torance for me .

I have TR91s on my GSA. Nice, confidence inspiring tyre wet or dry. At least as good as the Trail Attacks it came with. Time (and miles) will tell if they suffer the same degradation to skittishness when >50% worn, which was really the only reason I switched away from the Contis.

However, I did have a problem with the Dunlops - a high speed vibration that no amount of balancing could eradicate completely. My dealer eventually fitted a fresh rear tyre and the vibes are gone.

I'm gen surprised at the Anakee 2 comment there, I've had these tyres on track days at outlining park and I found them to be v grippy in the dry, certainly enough to beat up a few blades in corners. As I said before, it's a big mind thing with tyres, I feel really confident on them so stick with them, having said that new bike came with Tourance and I could hardly tell the difference, I've pushed them hard too on road and track.

Maybe I'm just easy pleased :)

Back
Top Bottom