Z1000sx

doyle

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone got one or tried one? I was looking at one yesterday ,never had gear with me to get a test ride but sitting on it it seemed good,ergonomics suited me so next step is a wee shotty of it. 1500 miles on it price was just over 8k.0% finance over 3 years.Never taken finance out before but seems too good to be true?
Good reviews ,never had a kwak before but there is always a first time for everthing.

Anyone got one or tried one? I was looking at one yesterday ,never had gear with me to get a test ride but sitting on it it seemed good,ergonomics suited me so next step is a wee shotty of it. 1500 miles on it price was just over 8k.0% finance over 3 years.Never taken finance out before but seems too good to be true?
Good reviews ,never had a kwak before but there is always a first time for everthing.

I looked at them before buying the GSA, they seem to get a good write-up :flag
If the BMW fails me big time (hopefully it won't) I'll probably try a Z1000 SX touring next.

Yep had a test ride on one about 12 months back, very exciting bike i am thinking of getting one next year to compliment my 1150.

From what i remember the engine was very revvy, seriously quick bike , the rest of the package is a bit posh bandit 12 though, the brake and clutch lever felt a bit angular to hold , overall i was impressed given the relative bargain price.

Versys 1000 is the better choice for touring IMO

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I test rode one last year. It is a great bike at a decent price. I loved the engine.

Ultimately, the riding position didn't suit me and I replaced my R1150GS with another ADV bike, a year old Yamaha Super Ténéré (looked at the Versys that uses a variant of the Z1000 engine but didn't like it)

I did notice the brake and clutch levers being a bit 'basic?'
Afraid the look of the versys puts me off ,maybe a good bike but not for me.
There is not much difference in price between the z1000sx and a vfr1200 and in the test reviews the bandit 1250 touring versions come out very good considering the price difference.
But I know it is easy to be drawn to a particular bike over the look and what you read/test reports.The proof is in the riding.

I tested a Z1000SX last year. The engine pulls like a train from low down as well as revving out freely but I found it prone to stalling when pulling off. I've seen this mentioned in road tests. I suspect that the good bottom end torque lulls you into thinking you can pull away on very small throttle opening but the absence of flywheel effect doesn't let you do this.

As someone said, the ancillaries do appear to be built down to a price, as they obviously are.

Ultimately, if you're going to ride it hard, it would benefit from a suspension upgrade front and rear. Personally, I'd rather pay more at the outset and have ZX10R quality suspension but that's not where Kawasaki have priced the bike.

Good fun though.....:thumb2

Just back from testing a couple of bikes and dodging heavy rain!!

Tested bandit 1250-touring ,FA i think its called, very smooth tractable engine,pulls no problem in 6th from low speeds.Quick enough .I felt it a bit cramped after getting off my ktm950sm which might surprise anyone who has'nt ridden a ktm.
Nothing much to fault the bandit on,but not for me.

Next a spin up to perth with the full intention of taking a vfr out.-I decided to take the crosstourer out,with the idea being to take the vfr out after.
Crosstourer-first thing i noticed was the weight,it did have 3 boxes on,i pressume empty.however like most bikes once you were moving the weight dissapeared.Plenty of go engine wise,handling was good,transmission i was less impressed with.Maybe my gear changes i don't know.but felt very clunky at low speeds.It was ok through the gears on the power or fast downchanges.In all honesty my 17year old vfr750 has a smoother gearbox.
Another bike not for me,so i never bothered to take the vfr1200 out as the salesman said the transmission was the same.
Oh and i didn't like the seat either.

So nipped along to get a price for a KTM990SMT. no deal yet but either a GS or smt i think for me.

.....So nipped along to get a price for a KTM990SMT. no deal yet but either a GS or smt i think for me.

Avuss in Glasgow regularly get SMT's in and they generally go for a good price ?
Have you thought about a gen2 Fazer 1000 I picked one of these up 2nd hand from Cupars at the beginning of JUne and been very happy with it, has all the trimings, Givi boxes, power commander, so ready for a tour if thats your thing

Yes the fazer was on my list of bikes to try.I should try one.

Funny thing when i go looking i always drift to the same bikes i.e bmw or ktm.

the Cupar/perth motorcycle shops are doing some good Fazers at present

Aye ,i did look at them today,but never thought to ask for a shot.Didn't want to look as if i was just filling the day in trying bikes out:augie

did you ever try the Z1000SX ?

Your opening post said £8k for a 1500 miler. ISTR that when they first came out I was offered a new one for about that without pressing for a discount at all. The ABS touring one with a pair of panniers was about £9k. You might be able to get some discount on the 1500 miler.

If you like the ride of the thing that is :nenau :thumb2

New price i was quoted for z1000sx touring version was basically 9 and a half.

I have'nt managed to test one yet,nearest place is Aberdeen so its about an hr n half away.

To be honest when i rode my ktm home yesterday i began thinking what is the point changing bikes:blast

New price i was quoted for z1000sx touring version was basically 9 and a half.

I have'nt managed to test one yet,nearest place is Aberdeen so its about an hr n half away.

To be honest when i rode my ktm home yesterday i began thinking what is the point changing bikes:blast

Its a typical jap bike so if the bandit didnt do it for you i doubt the z1000 will. Engine is rabid tho:D

Brilliant engine spoilt by bars which were WAY too close together IMHO.

Brilliant engine spoilt by bars which were WAY too close together IMHO.

Do you mean the width? or close /near you?

I just sat on the bike but was not aware of the bars being particularly narrow and it seemed roomy for the type of bike.

Back
Top Bottom