1974 Ducati odd colour

Fanum

Toubab
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Any anoraks around please?

1974 Ducati 750, not sure exactly what model it is yet 'cos we havent seen it, but it's a metallic orange colour, which the owner (and pics from google seem to support ) says is original.

We're going to have to respray some panels but a good search around has failed to find a proper paint code :blast

Anyone by any chance a Ducati guru??

Italian bikes and that age is probably a bit hit and miss as I'm not even sure the factories knew what colours they were using. IIRC they used to have a full on (flat) orange, a sort of 'mustardy' (flat) orange and a candy/metallic orange/yellow?

Would it not be easiest to wait until you have the bike and then get a paint shop to match one of the panels?

Andres

could be a 750 GT, which came in metallic gold and black :nenau

i doubt you'll find a factory paint code. as andres says, the italians were never much for that sort of thing :)

We're told its the cabdy orange.....all the panels are faded or painted over with ratttle can black :mad:

We've tried various duke forums and there is a guy who has a lot of paint codes but he's a pro painter and won't give them up.

From what we've found so far, there are a lot of mentions of odd paints and even supplied codes not matching up :blast

We're told its the cabdy orange.....all the panels are faded or painted over with ratttle can black :mad:

We've tried various duke forums and there is a guy who has a lot of paint codes but he's a pro painter and won't give them up.

From what we've found so far, there are a lot of mentions of odd paints and even supplied codes not matching up :blast

I guess it depends how original you want it :nenau

I went thorough a similar process with my Lemans when I bought it. It had been resprayed what looked to be the wrong red ( but looked good all the same). After picking Cookies brains about it I came to the conclusion to leave as is due to similar issues of knowing what exactly the original red should be and also the fact the the original paint fades over time anyway so any original paint out there will be different to how it was out of the showroom.

So, maybe, go with a gold metal flake that looks as similar to your eye compared to images you can get off the net.

Not a lot of help, I know, but might be worth considering :nenau

Andres

there might be some lesser faded original paint on the back of the side panels or similar crannies. if so, match that.

The owner came in today....it is indeed a GT, but RS don't have any of that colour :blast

We're going for the closest match...the guy is well aware that Ducati paints from that era varied each day as they mixed up a new batch.

Interesting guy.....he's doing a complete nut n bolt resto of it and he's been riding and racing sidecar units for 50+ years......will post some pics when I can :thumb2

Thanks for the help chaps :clap

If you are going for originality, don't forget to use poster-paint or anything else water-soluble. :D

Back
Top Bottom