K1200R - any good?

immigrant

Reaction score
Guys, my 06 GSA has been and still is a great ride but the bulk is starting to annoy me when riding around London.

I have an insurance imposed limit on the value of the bike I can run (due to my car park being considered 'on the street'). So it's around £6500 max.

Was originally considering a VFR1200 as I quite like it, but the cheapest ones come in around 8k.

One option is an 800GS, rode one at ORS and liked the power delivery. It feels responsive and peppy compared to my boxer.

The bike I'm really interested in though is the K1200R. Fitted with a topbox and the 2 softbags it should make for a decent tourer. Judging by the 1300cc version, the sizing and reach is pretty good for me.

Any long term ownership experiences here? How does the quality hold up and does anything substantial go wrong?

I have owned my k1200r now since 2006 and overall it's been a fantastic bike. There have been no problems except the front brake light switch, changed by the dealer for about £45 (this had to be done as it stops the ABS working). Still on the original battery. Oil consumption between services is zero and usually get between 45 and 50 mpg (using super), maybe more if touring. As for tyres pair, of Z6's will last me about 8 to 9k on the rear and 9 to 10k for the front. Servicing by the dealer is much cheaper than the GS as well.

I fitted a MRA vario screen - great protection for head and shoulders and a Staintune end can. Now almost 20k miles but it has had an easy life, if fact impossible to thrash it with this much power which you will find addictive, lots of torque from 3k to 7k and then it comes on the cam again from 7k to 10k. Easy to scare the pants off you without going over 7k especially if you are used to a boxer.

I have considered selling as I do fancy a change but I have never ridden a bike so damm good and that includes all the triumphs, a couple of Honda's, Victory, GS + r1200r, and Moto Guzzi Stelvio/Griso, which I loved but didn't have enough jam!

As with any bike, choose carefully and ride often you will be rewarded with a bike which will make you smile like an idiot!!

Mike

If bulk is your problem then dont go down the K route.. I've had 2 K12S... Yes very comfy and great power, but they aren't as flickable as the GS. I've never really decided whether I prefer the power of the K or the handling of the GS... I'm currently in the handling mood...

Had a KR12 for 2years. Made a great touring rocket and went to Italy twice on it with no issues. Also fitted an MRA for a bit more comfort on the long runs, and a full Akrapovic system for some aural pleasure.
They do seem to hunt a bit at low rpm but never an issue for me. They're also a tad longer than you think and need some extra pushing and shoving to flick it around, nimble it is not.
But as a different slightly mad maxish tourer its rather good....

Stu
Ps 6k for a rear for me.

I ran a K12R for just over year - one of the early 06 bikes which I bought with 10k on the clock in 2008.

Used it with the MRA screen for touring, and then swapped to the sports screen. Incredible engine and nice standard exhaust sound. Only glitches were a problem with the wiring loom, a heated grip, and ECU, but these were replaced under the BMW used warranty.

Used the softer compound Metzler tyres, and a rear usually lasted around 4k! :eek: Certainly increased the running costs!

Finally part exchanged it at 27k for my current R12GS. The K12R riding position was a bit too much for my legs on really long days in the saddle, and the GS was certainly a revelation for comfort and handling.

Great bike, but the GS is a better tourer for sure.

8-9k miles out of rear tyre ? from a 160 hp bike ? Blimey :eek:

I bought my K1200S with a new looking Metzler M1 at 1800 miles and it was toast 500 miles later :p what's the point in having the power and not using it ;)

Slightly harder sports touring tyres lasted 3000-3500 miles. Mind you, the BT-021 on my RT is nearly worn out at 3000 miles (no chicken strips and chewed up at the side) :D

They make splendid tourers - in fact they do everything.
BMW should really bring out a K1200RGS. This is mine in Elefantentreffen trim:

DSC_0403.jpg

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Test ride options are thin on the ground but I'll try an S as they are easier to find at main dealers.

They make splendid tourers - in fact they do everything.
BMW should really bring out a K1200RGS. This is mine in Elefantentreffen trim:

DSC_0403.jpg

Is that rust I can see on the caliper bolts or have you painted them?

Is that rust I can see on the caliper bolts or have you painted them?

Twas rust - that's what you get for riding through winter and not cleaning the bike :)
All sorted now though

file.php

Back
Top Bottom