Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drop off system for riding in groups

Drop off system for riding in groups

The "Drop Off" System

explanation of the system we adopt for riding in a group

Drop-Off system of group riding.

This is popular with groups going on long rides.

Understanding the system is important, as every rider needs to do their part to avoid anyone getting lost.

One rider, the leader, will stay at the front and is responsible for navigating the route. Another rider, tail end charlie, will stay at the back in last position. These are the only two riders who maintain their position in the group.

At every junction, the rider immediately behind the leader stops and marks the junction and indicates the route which the other members of the group should follow. All other riders pass the marker except the 'tail end charlie'. The marker then re-joins the group in front of 'tail end charlie'.

This approach involves all the group and the marker gets rotated from front to back and naturally moves up to the front again. The method works provided everyone makes clear, safe markings and doesn't forget they are in the No.2 position, when it is their turn to mark.

Nobody other than the sweeper is allowed to ride last for any reason whatever. If you want to leave the group you should pull in to the left in a safe, visible position and wave other riders past. When the sweeper arrives he will stop and you can then inform him/her that you are leaving the group and why.

Some points:

Please arrive with a full tank of petrol and an empty bladder.
    Petrol stops will be determined on the lowest tank range of participants. You are advised to fill up at these stops.
    The leader and sweeper will wear some kind of distinctive vest.
    A roundabout should be marked by parking in a safe visible position on the exit.
    When going straight through at a crossroads where you don't have right of way you may mark it if you wish. The default action in such a case is to continue straight through. Therefore if there is no marker when you arrive you should proceed straight on. If you do decide to mark such a junction you should do so by parking in a safe visible position on the far side of the crossroads.
    When you are marking a junction make sure you park in a position not to obstruct any other road users.
    If necessary point in the direction that riders arriving at the junction should proceed in.
    There is no need when using the drop off system to keep the rider behind in your mirrors.
    There is no need to play catch-up. With the drop off system there will be a marker waiting for you at the next junction.
    Everyone should keep a safe distance behind the rider in front. Tail gating is frowned on.
    To avoid unscheduled stops and to be safe please make sure all luggage carried on your machine is secured safely before starting.
    When you are the marker, wait for the sweeper to arrive, even if this takes a long time. There may be a breakdown further back which you are unaware of. If necessary switch off your engine. If you leave your position everyone behind will suffer and the run will fall apart.
    If you are unsure as to whether you should mark a junction, then mark it anyway. It is better to mark a junction that doesn't need marking than not to mark one that does.
    Ride your own ride, don't allow yourself to be pulled or pushed along.
    Enjoy yourself at your own pace

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Great bit of info, you obviously copied it from some where........

Seriously, this is relatively new to me, But it works and makes everything simple, I would recommend it.

Did it work ok today?

Best system for making progress, as long as everyone understands it
    JohnnyBoxer

So many roads...........So little time......

North Wales TRF Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBoxer View Post
    ....as long as everyone understands it.
    Ahhh... the weak point.

Son of Ah Knah Yee Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
    Ahhh... the weak point.
    there's always 1 or 3 who are too shy to admit they don't and feck it up all day.

PUI since 2004

[url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBoxer View Post
    Did it work ok today?

Best system for making progress, as long as everyone understands it
    Nearly!!

Quote Originally Posted by cocker View Post
    The "Drop Off" System

explanation of the system we adopt for riding in a group

Drop-Off system of group riding.

This is popular with groups going on long rides.

Understanding the system is important, as every rider needs to do their part to avoid anyone getting lost.

One rider, the leader, will stay at the front and is responsible for navigating the route. Another rider, tail end charlie, will stay at the back in last position. These are the only two riders who maintain their position in the group.

At every junction, the rider immediately behind the leader stops and marks the junction and indicates the route which the other members of the group should follow. All other riders pass the marker except the 'tail end charlie'. The marker then re-joins the group in front of 'tail end charlie'.

This approach involves all the group and the marker gets rotated from front to back and naturally moves up to the front again. The method works provided everyone makes clear, safe markings and doesn't forget they are in the No.2 position, when it is their turn to mark.

Nobody other than the sweeper is allowed to ride last for any reason whatever. If you want to leave the group you should pull in to the left in a safe, visible position and wave other riders past. When the sweeper arrives he will stop and you can then inform him/her that you are leaving the group and why.

Some points:

Please arrive with a full tank of petrol and an empty bladder.
    Petrol stops will be determined on the lowest tank range of participants. You are advised to fill up at these stops.
    The leader and sweeper will wear some kind of distinctive vest.
    A roundabout should be marked by parking in a safe visible position on the exit.
    When going straight through at a crossroads where you don't have right of way you may mark it if you wish. The default action in such a case is to continue straight through. Therefore if there is no marker when you arrive you should proceed straight on. If you do decide to mark such a junction you should do so by parking in a safe visible position on the far side of the crossroads.
    When you are marking a junction make sure you park in a position not to obstruct any other road users.
    If necessary point in the direction that riders arriving at the junction should proceed in.
    There is no need when using the drop off system to keep the rider behind in your mirrors.
    There is no need to play catch-up. With the drop off system there will be a marker waiting for you at the next junction.
    Everyone should keep a safe distance behind the rider in front. Tail gating is frowned on.
    To avoid unscheduled stops and to be safe please make sure all luggage carried on your machine is secured safely before starting.
    When you are the marker, wait for the sweeper to arrive, even if this takes a long time. There may be a breakdown further back which you are unaware of. If necessary switch off your engine. If you leave your position everyone behind will suffer and the run will fall apart.
    If you are unsure as to whether you should mark a junction, then mark it anyway. It is better to mark a junction that doesn't need marking than not to mark one that does.
    Ride your own ride, don't allow yourself to be pulled or pushed along.
    Enjoy yourself at your own pace
    The system is absolutely foolproof. Pity about the humans
    We should learn from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism. [/I]

The system works great until you are moved off a single track junction by a tractor and slurry trailer while waiting for riders to reach you.
    " England is no longer a place for a young man, it crawls with greed and corruption. It is governed by charlatans and profiteers who think more of their pockets than they do of their principles "
    Oliver Cromwell 1640

Quote Originally Posted by Steve V View Post
    The system works great until you are moved off a single track junction by a tractor and slurry trailer while waiting for riders to reach you.
    Practise makes perfect!!!!!!

Position is key
    " England is no longer a place for a young man, it crawls with greed and corruption. It is governed by charlatans and profiteers who think more of their pockets than they do of their principles "
    Oliver Cromwell 1640

Drop off

Not really sure today it all seemed to happen behind me. On a more serious note it does seem to work very well once we all understand it. we will just have to get out more to practise.

Did you follow the published GPS route,
    surely if you did several GPS owners had loaded the route beforer setting off.
    I know the drop of method is proven and reliable if correctly used but I always feel like i'm part of a military convoy.
    The big + to the system is it lets you eventually get passed the rider in front
    without embarrassment of overtaking.
    The big - for me is feeling organised or shepherded, at weekends thats something I do not want.
    A smaller - is if somebody at the rear has an incident it can take miles for a rider from the rear to catch up with the leader. I have been on rides where the pack runs out of people to mark junctions. (Rat run, and no following oil drips is not the way anymore)

Smaller groups perhaps with sub leaders, GPS and phones ???

Thats my moaning over, glad you all enjoyed the day safeley.
    Dont forget If you want a ride out anytime (slow pace) PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sooty09 View Post
    The big - for me is feeling organised or shepherded, at weekends thats something I do not want.
    It IS organised, that's kinda the idea of a group ride over a certain route.
    But look at it less as being pushed about and more as helping out the rest of the group.

Has to be said tho, even as someone who has led hundreds of rides using this system there's times I like to have a less organised blast with a few people who all know where the destination is and can find their own way. Doing the organising/shepherding can become far more tiresome than stoping to mark a junction every once in a while ever will...

A smaller - is if somebody at the rear has an incident it can take miles for a rider from the rear to catch up with the leader. I have been on rides where the pack runs out of people to mark junctions.
    Running out of markers isn't a major problem, it just gives those already marking a bit if a breather while the tail ender catches up. Its only ever a few minutes if everyone knows the system.
    I usually have my phone on display when leading so if there's an issue someone can text me and i can read it on the hoof. A text catches up in seconds.

Did my first ever 'non drop off' group rideout at a GS meet this year (after decades of IAM, ROSPA, GS Club rideouts) and was quite pissed off with overtaking riders when I was attempting my own overtakes or merely obeying a 30mph zone etc. I ended up overtaking back in other places, and, quite frankly, riding quite 'competitively', in a way others might reasonably have described as: rudely, inconsiderately, and even aggressively.

Quite enlightening, and possibly even 'Fun', in its own way, but a very different experience.

undead Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    dont foget your disclaimer forms

always remember that you are absolutely unique, just like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Backmarker View Post
    Did my first ever 'non drop off' group rideout at a GS meet this year (after decades of IAM, ROSPA, GS Club rideouts) and was quite pissed off with overtaking riders when I was attempting my own overtakes or merely obeying a 30mph zone etc.
    I think this says more about the prats you were riding with than the system - or maybe that was your point which I have missed. There's nothing to prevent overtaking when using the drop-off system, it's designed to allow all riders to proceed at their own pace (except the leader and back marker of course - before someone wades in). Maybe it's just that those who ride with the groups you mention have a bit more consideration for other people on the road?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast