G650 hot start issue (it won't)

fatbaldbob

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a new Sertao, currently only 470 miles on it. Once hot it refuses to start, It turns over but won't fire, if you keep trying it will eventually go but this can take a long time of continual cranking which can't be good for it or the battery. No problem if left for ten minutes or from cold. I have been to the dealers today with it and sods law it behaved and wouldn't do it. They will have a look at it on it's 600mile service. Anyone else had this on a sertao or G650 :confused:

I have a new Sertao, currently only 470 miles on it. Once hot it refuses to start, It turns over but won't fire, if you keep trying it will eventually go but this can take a long time of continual cranking which can't be good for it or the battery. No problem if left for ten minutes or from cold. I have been to the dealers today with it and sods law it behaved and wouldn't do it. They will have a look at it on it's 600mile service. Anyone else had this on a sertao or G650 :confused:

Common fault

Take it back to the dealer

There is a fix

Have a look on F650.com, fo loads of info:thumb2

There's a massive thread on www.F650.co.uk:thumb

Should be sorted by now and if it's any help we've all been there.......Mrs P's 2011 G650GS was ok untill I made it 'not start' just to show her what would happen:blast All it did was spin over untill the battery went down........Left it a while and it was ok(our bike has only done it the once though) Other bikes won't even turn over!

Make sure you're near a coffee shop when you stop the engine and then when it won't start go in and have a coffee.......When you come back out it should start again ok:augie

Other than the 'minor' hot starting defect which should be sorted they're great wee bikes.

FP.:thumb

Last edited:
Hot start update

Been to dealers today for the first service, front of house and sales claim to know nothing of this issue, however the mechanic knew exactly what the problem is. There is a PUMA on this for the 650, so if it presents these problems then a new cam with decompressor is required and the valves need to be reset to a different tolerance. Parts now on order and it will go back in for the work when they arrive. So with luck it will be cured:thumb2

If they know about this then why not do it before they sell you the bike:nenau my understanding is that they wait and see if it will happen then fix it after, as some give problems and some dont:confused:

I have got a 2011 G650GS that had the exact same problem the dealer checked the valve clearances which were incorrect and adjusted them. A month later same hot start problem again. BMW have now fitted a modified decompressor lever in May and no problems since. The dealer told me that this is a common problem but the new lever will fix the problem.

Bike is currently at the dealers for the new cam and decompressor, it should have been done yesterday, but they didn't have the right shims in stock to set the valve clearances :blast So they are keeping it for now but have given me a 1200 Rallye for the mean time. I hope this will cure it, it left me stranded at a petrol station on the way to the dealers yesterday.

Also I was informed the front mud guard is being changed as there is a recall on them, they are apparently shearing at the bolted joint.

The above problem plus fault codes being thrown up and the trips and clock resetting themselves, are not doing much for my confidence in it:confused:

Got the bike back today, hot start problem apparently sorted and a replacement front Mudguard fitted. Here's hoping it's finally sorted.

There are a few Ideas why some bikes still have the hot start problem with new bikes
I like the one solution of putting a bit of 2 stroke oil in with the petrol to substitute ( if thats right) for the 10%ethanol additive that seizes up the new injectors - that also seems to cure it along with the suposed updated decompressor do dah = They told me at Rainbow mine had been all sorted and it was a earlier bike problem. Some other folk inform yer to let the bike do all its checks and then press the start button ( count ter 10 etc. after lighting the clocks up)
Touch wood mine been OK = July bike WAIT TILL TOMORROW EH
HTHY I really do like my bike and I am very happy with it after a couple of thou miles ( Dont believe the fuel figures that folks quote)

There are a few Ideas why some bikes still have the hot start problem with new bikes
I like the one solution of putting a bit of 2 stroke oil in with the petrol to substitute ( if thats right) for the 10%ethanol additive that seizes up the new injectors - that also seems to cure it along with the suposed updated decompressor do dah = They told me at Rainbow mine had been all sorted and it was a earlier bike problem. Some other folk inform yer to let the bike do all its checks and then press the start button ( count ter 10 etc. after lighting the clocks up)
Touch wood mine been OK = July bike WAIT TILL TOMORROW EH
HTHY I really do like my bike and I am very happy with it after a couple of thou miles ( Dont believe the fuel figures that folks quote)

What sort of MPG are you getting in the real world

I seem to be getting about 60 plus when I think of checking it and I have never seen 70 I dont think Johnny is more aerodynamic than me - He will be a better smoother rider though cos hes from Yorkshire and a tight git at the best of times :D:D OH and He will be better at maths as well :D Oh and I only measure it sometimes not everytime :D

Back
Top Bottom