Enfield Bullet 350 v 500?

how much

Reaction score
looking at Royal Enfield Bullets as i always fancied one...

is there much difference tween 350 and 500? (something like 12 Vs, 18 bhp?)

would either be upto the occasional 50 mile a day commute including 14 miles of M61/M60 Manchester motorway? or would i just die out there?

hell... it would even make my r80 g/s feel like a superbike :D which handles that trip too work just fine:thumb i aint in a rush!

hm

I'm on the verge of buying an Enfield - I test rode a 500 last week with the newer UCE engine - with standard gearing I think it'd JUST be capable of short blasts at 70mph, but I wouldn't consider it for a regular commuter.

Back lanes and pottering about - it's about the best thing I can possibly imagine - splendid fun and a genuine hoot to ride!

Have a test ride before committing...

I know that there is a good one for sale at Bridlington. Its like an old brit bike without the oil leaks :D

I had a 500 for two weeks on a little trip last year, all the other guys had 350's.
TBH there wasn't much difference and when hooning the 350's were able to keep up, just.

The only advantage (with the bikes we had) was that the 500 had electric start and a front disc.

Andres

Coolcarbon of this parish has a 500cc Army Bullet up for sale on the forum. It's currently in Perth but will be in Somerset at the end of the week. If Enfields float your boat this is a late model electric boot with very little K's on it.

thanks for the replies guys..

the prices are all over the place as is the spec. depending on the year..

kick-start/e-start. 4 speed/5 speed.. left foot/right foot gearchange.. drum brake/disc brake.. 6volt/12 volt electrics....

and they all look the bloody same:eek:

got to do a bit of research here:blast

hm

I've had both the 500 and 350. The modern 500's are a bit of a mish mash with all the electric start and left foot gear change, and frankly don't have any of the classic 'feel' anymore. The 350 is my Favourite, and a late model (they stopped production for the Euro market in 2006) has the right feel and all the bits in the right place, as well as being reliable and drip free. So it's a kick start and right foot top down gear change. I just found it unbearably uncomfortable on a run of more than 250kms, even with an expensive Le Pera saddle brought in from the states. In hindsight I'm sad that I sold it.

Attachments

• rsz_dscn0720.jpg
    rsz_dscn0720.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 2,680
this is my military 500

keep threatening to sell, but she wont let me! :D

Attachments

• IMG_1184_800x598.jpg
    IMG_1184_800x598.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 2,715
  • IMG_1187_800x598.jpg
    IMG_1187_800x598.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 2,640
  • IMG_1185_800x598.jpg
    IMG_1185_800x598.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 2,557
500 the way to go in the UK . I ride them in India/Himalayas and out there you won't see much difference until up at 5000m where the 500 has the edge . The carb engined bikes. Have a nicer tickover , the new FFI's seem more reliable . I just sold my Woodsman , which was the best of the current Enfields due to its style and usability but I needed the space . Were I to buy another it would be a woodsman pre EFI as I like the simplicity .Either way try one . I used mine as a daily commuter but it is scary on motorways as it's working hard to do 60-70 mph , around town it's akk you need if you do not have a t max !!

Build & finish quality on pre EFI's is horrific, I don't know if it improved after the Carb models but it couldn't get much worse. Complete and utter money pit, but different if that's your thing.

i had a 500 not long ago, quicker than my mates 350 if quicker is a word associated with enfields,
quickly grew bored of it and sold it, looked pretty though

bought a 500 today...

its a bog standard black one... with nice period panniers... wants a bit of a tidy (don't they all) it starts first/second kick hot or cold, ticks over like a swiss watch, got the right carb and a few other bits.. nice paintwork/crap chrome only done 10k miles. one family owned from new.. comes with all the right "spares" new battery, gaskets, bling, et al
its ten miles up the road, and was at a price it would be wrong to refuse..

its not like its going to feel "That slow" hell my daily ride is an R80 g/s:blast
lets go thumping up those lanes:D:D:D :adv:

hm

Good man., you'll enjoy it, I loved mine.

If it hasn't got one already, get one of these (and knock that baffle out). Sounds proper, like :thumb2

Attachments

• 1304588822_goldstar7.JPG
    1304588822_goldstar7.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 2,458
thanks for all the replies and photos of your gleaming Enfields...:thumb

mine is definately at the "needs TLC" end of the Enfield spectrum..
but, it starts 1st/2nd kick hot or cold, runs/rides well apart from a very very heavy clutch (possible new cable to fix?), came with a car load of new spares including brand new tank and front wheel.. the wheel will be fitted and the tank sold on...

027-2.jpg

029-1.jpg

the photos are "as bought" it hadnt even been washed to make it look better:blast anyone that knows me on here knows i like a clean bike:D

only stands me a grand... so really happy!

not ridden a right hand shift Brit bike for over 40 years..:blast damn it messes with your head! all this "one up/ three down" Bollox! i had forgotten about that! never mind tickling the carb and bringing it up onto compression on the kick start.....:D

reminds me of my old BSA C15's and Starfires..
lots of fun ahead..

hm

not too wrong with that fix......

tonight the fecker had a hissy fit and didnt like having its lights on!.... the modern LED battery condition doo-ikie flashed red like an Amsterdam Brothel.. it hissed and spit back.. coughed.. and died at the lights:blast

10 minutes later.. it had calmed down and eventually kicked back into life by a very sweaty "How much":D

Enfield ownership has now officially begun!

i have seen the future:blast

hm

They do have a Soul those Enfields . The weak spot is the battery position and the battery terminals which often short out , there is a fuse and if it stops thats the first place to look . Yours looks nice , lovely bike for summer / autumn :thumb2

You should have gone for the diesel version........ 165 to the gallon and plenty of time to enjoy the scenery.

Attachments

• Royal Enfield.jpg
    Royal Enfield.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 936

Back
Top Bottom