Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 3: Ramble around Iberia

Holy Cow.

Just wipe it's arse and cut the hooves off : adiós amigos.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Just got back from a week's holiday in the US and that's cheered me up.

Ta, Folks

Quote Originally Posted by Hairnet600 View Post
    why do i get the feeling the tyre might not be a bargain.............
    All will be revealed..

seeing as you watched the inferior team last night will you be watching the team in red tonight ?
    No TV for that where we stopped.. the pleasure of staying in the middle of nowhere..

enjoy
    Most definitely.. can't beat it

Quote Originally Posted by fishbird View Post
    Just wipe it's arse and cut the hooves off : adiós amigos.
    Oh, yes D

Nava to Vega de Rengos

I'm pretty sure that Spain is spending its last few Euros that it doesn't have on roads. Most of it on building them, and the rest on the training of crack squads of cattle to shat on the apex of rural road corners. After today, on the roads we hit, on most corners there are two kinds of shite. The material left by said cattle, and then what's left by me as I recover from my sliding about to make it round.

Anyway. This morning we followed the lead to the tyre dealer, about 20km from out hotel in Nava. The tyre, we were told, would be delivered overnight by 10am, so we roll up. It almost sounded to good to be true. And so it was.
    We rolled up on schedule just before ten. The tyre bod says it isn't here and it will probably be another hour. Maybe an hour, so we have coffees at the place down the road. We come back, no tyre. We wait about. The tyre bod appears. Now he doesn't know when it is going to arrive. So we wait it out for a bit. Another hour comes and goes until just before one where the guy again says (using a translation thing on his phone) that he doesn't know where it is and they're closing now until 3pm.

Bored, bored, bored, bored, bored.

Sod this for a game of soldiers. To be fair, we'd lost confidence the thing would appear and standing around at 7pm appealed not. To quote the life of Brian line 'How shall we feck off' was the conclusion. There's a bit left on the tyre still, maybe 500 miles or so, so we do one.

Over the tops and into the fog..

And out of the fog, into lovely blue skies with little puffy clouds. An encounter with a bus that didn't want to let us pass. Eventually we squeeze through where it stops in a tiny village to let folks off, despite the best efforts of Senor Nobber to park so we couldn't pass.

Fantastic Valleys..

Who stole the river?

After a few Michelin green roads we've actually salvaged a pretty solid ride out of the day which is a relief to me, for Brian's sake. Standing bored outside a tyre dealer is an overrated experience.

In the early evening we decide to find a rural stop off. We come across the Hotel La Pista in the middle of pretty much nowhere amongst a few rickety houses and a graveyeard with what looked like an office block in it (don't ask because we have no idea either). The bikes are put behind gates and the accommodation is basic and decent enough.

I go through the check in process. Not many visitors around here, and the lady isn't familiar with our passports at all. She keeps asking me questions in Spanish. 'No habla Espanol!' Is my reply. Here's a tip my dear: Just saying the same question in Spanish, multiple times and then slower each time will not learn me Spanish. I thought it was the sole preserve of the English to use that particular technique (albeit ending up with shouting at the foreigners) Clearly not
    Going through the process is as painful as being strapped down to listen to a Kenny G album. So far its taken fifteen minutes at least to do a ten line registration form. In the middle, nearing the end, the phone rings and she's off. I decide to take my bags up. Brian is already sorted and out of the shower. I have a brief rant and then go downstairs. She's started again with a new form.

Eventually it is completed. She's nice enough though, bless, and I retain my smiley stature as we're planning to eat there later.

Dinner is one of those 'Have what you get given' affairs. A fabulous soup with meat, potatoes and a very nice garlic infusion, followed by excellent veal and boiled spuds in a sort of onion gravy. The cold cinnamon custard isn't my cup of tea, but I think all of that, for two with a bottle of wine and an ale, including the accommodation (with Wi-fi) and a very good breakfast for two ended up at 67 Euros. Can't be bad!

Vega de Rengos to Santiago de Compostela

Day 112 (as said in an irritatingly Big Brother geordie drawl).

We turn in early last night and decide to head out early to make up for yesterday's late start. We're given a breakfast of excellent toasted proper rustic bread, pancakes and coffee. Very good indeed. We're also given really a very sweet farewell by the hotel lady and we're on the road.

We're straight in to the action and ride some prime roads, really great stuff, probably the best couple of hours of constantly great riding that I've done for a long while.

The bike stutters again this morning, similarly to how it did before the 'Brake Failure' thing started back in France on the way home from the last ramble. I think that Clouseau is finally working out what is going on. Be fair, it's only taken me 2,600 miles. I think- for this particular quirk- the Speed Sensor malfunctioning is fooling the ASC Traction thing to cut in, thus getting the semi-violent interruption in power.
    Another twist, too, a little later today. The bike has decided not to show the 'Brake Failure' warning and Yellow Triangle when I start now (You might recall I was able to adjust the ESA), but now the speeds are getting progressively higher before it does it and gives me the warnings. I think for a moment, now in Second, doing about 40mph- has it sorted and gone and fixed itself? Hmm. Better test the brakes. Glad I did. At the back, when I give it a good go, there's a comedy sort of on-the-moon style ABS action, where it engages the brake and slips the wheel in very very slow motion for a period before deciding it doesn't know what the feck is going on, and gives me the light show on the dash and switches everything to manual as it were, cutting the ASC and ABS. The crucial point here is that, until it realises all is amiss, the rear braking is about as much use as a Nicotene Patch to Keith Richards whilst it works out what to do. Electronics, eh? Might be a good idea to get it sorted soon I s'pose.

All things considered I ride as smoothly as I can and am still well rewarded for the ride. Roads great.. And scenery, well..

..Just stunning

We come to a point where the road is blocked, but good old Brian enquires if we can pass. Bod looks over the bikes and says yes, just go slowly though. ballistic zips off, and later says when he came across the workers he thought one of them was going to whack him
    Fortunately when I roll up passing bikes are old news and they just look blankly at me.
    Once we pass the blocked part we're left with 20 or so miles of new road which seems exclusively for our use. The crack cattle squad haven't even been brought in to shat on the tarmac as yet- so it's glorious

Rear tyre is very 'feathered' following another evening inspection to view the impact of today's plenty left-to-right impact. Erm, a new one, well, about now would be nice.

We'd booked a hotel in advance courtesy booking.com and it was fine, despite the parking being on the pavement opposite the hotel. No matter.

So tyre situation is now bad. I recall the recommendation from the Hotel bod in Portugal: Celtamotor in Vigo. I actually e-mailed them the other day using Google Translate, and they'd come back with a price for the tyre and all was OK. Question was if they actually had it, or if we'd be dependent on some mystery delivery driver coming from Madrid. So, with the kind help of the hotel reception chap, calls we placed, discussions had, and Christian at Celtamotor would call back. What the hotel lacks in parking, they certainly make up for in helpfulness and friendliness.
    I wait about for an hour at the hotel. Nuts to this I say, so decide to go out. If they have the tyre, please say yes I want it? The new reception lady is on the case and is expecting a call, so if all works she will say yay on my behalf and I will have a message waiting when I return That's good, I can go out and discover Santiago de Compostela and catch up Brian.

Santiago de Compostela, the cathedral and surroundings. A very special place. There are lots of people just sitting, milling, who've reached the end of their long walking pilgramages, and there's a real atmosphere of elation amongst no doubly plentiful blisters and corn plasters.

And inside we go for a mooch about.

Nuns as cleaning contractors, cleaning the confessionals.

Funny things. You can be served from the side or from the front. They have little red lights that can be switched on, wonder what for eh. Perhaps its for if the pastor inside the confessional doesn't know the answer, sort of rather like at Tesco's when they can't find a price on something

Time for refreshment. Nice people watching spot found and we have two beers each, and with it comes plentiful Tapas- Spanish Omlette on a stick, little sarnies, cheese and crisps. The bill: 7 Euros.

Brian's verdict. 'We'd better go before it starts getting any cheaper'

A beer with some superb Celtic music. The two lads started Celtic dancing, not what you'd expect and they were really good. Didn't catch it on video but they left to rapturous applause.

(I'll upload that video anyway and put it here)

A bit of shopping in Compostela before a good Menu del dia. New T-Shirt, here's one for all of you 'A-Team'; Fans..

"I love it when a Flan comes together" (Ah, yes, Flans you ask.. they be pretty common in Spain as it happens)..

We finish the evening up at the Vinoteca. A couple of nice reds and they're still plying us with Tapas, too.

Back to the hotel and there's a message. 'Please be at the dealer by 11am for your tyre.' That we like!

Santiago de Compostela to Braganca

First task of the day is to go and see those nice people at Celtamotor BMW in Vigo. The new Zumo is being odd. It won't let me deselect toll road avoidance. That's all very frugal of you, and thank you for thinking of me and my tender budget, but I'd really rather make the decision myself, thanks very much and all that. I eventually get it to do what I want by changing the avoidance selection whilst the route is in progress and hitting detour. Strange indeed, but useful to have the fast route in this case, because it knocks half an hour off a 60 mile ride which today, needs must and all that.

Zumo does decide to take me through Vigo, which couldn’t be fastest way looking at the map for a brief minute, but I couldn't be arsed to argue with it again- and I had the time, so it's a little trip through a cloudy Vigo centre, which actually whilst not anything special was quite good to have a look at the morning rush.
    I get to Celtamotor just before 11am. Ah, here we are..

Ah… Seńor Bond.. we've been expecting you. I think all the reception people are well drilled and on alert for the guest appearance of the foreign Johnny with no native language skills at all, and on arrival I'm promptly ushered to the service part where a very helpful lady goes through the book in process. I decide to try and get the sensor problem sorted- with help of Google Translate and HTC she gets the drift and it all goes on the job card. It's all confused smiles and 'Ah.. si, si' with thumbs up to the discoveries, everyone seming to anticipate and relish the challenge of trying to work out just what the hell I want. They really couldn't be more helpful.

Bike is booked in and I'm directed to a café bar next door. Quick look in the showroom. They have the new scooters in. They do look good, don't they? I got into bikes via Twist and Go's so these do interest me. Ah, Look, it's a little RT.

K1600GTL anyone? Yikes..

I update some ramble drivel on the laptop and an hour or so later the lady from service reception is stood next to me. She's got the job card and some notes, so here we go with translate. The bike most definitely needs the new speed sensor, which they can do, but it will be a little more labour to sort it. Now I can live with that. She's very happy to help again, and I should go back at 1.30 when it'll be ready.. so just time for another coffee then eh.

Brian texts, and our planned meet up will be off as I'm delayed with all things technical, so I'll see him later on at the hotel.

Well it doesn't all go completely smoothly. On the road test the problem occurs again. I have a conversation with the service manager via Google Translate on the office computer and he says they will get to it first thing after the technicians are back. His theory now is that a brake fluid flush may well deal with it. I'd heard that as a theory elsewhere. Sad thing is, that they're now all at lunch until 3.30. Still, at least I see a new tyre, so that's one down and one to go.

I decide in for a penny, in for a euro, so I go back to the local restaurant for the Menu del dia.

Waiting around for a dealer in Portugal is just the same as waiting around for one in the UK. Funny, that. I wander back at around 4pm and can see they're deep at work. My bike comes out with a mechanic bod on it, does a circuit of the car park and goes back. No signs of any update thereafter.. that can't be good can it? I don't get a running commentary of progress for obvious reasons.

Half an hour later the service manager disappears in a System 6 and a Celtamotor Hi Viz and disappears off on my bike out to the main road. Ten minutes later he's back, riding up with a thumb up.. so we're set. A nice bit was the bill, too. For all the work they charged me only for an of labour, the tyre and all the huff sorting out the brake failure thing. Excellent result and a big up to all there..

Zumo says three and a half hours fastest to Braganca. Conscious of running in the tyre I don't push on and the light fades and I leave the Autovia to head across the mountains for the 30km to Braganca.

Hitting the border by night..

I only encounter one cretinous Portuguese driver before hitting the town, so that wasn't too bad. I arrive in time for a couple of little Super Bock Stouts and Chicken and Chips. All is well, very happy to have the bike sorted

As always nice R/R gr8roberto

marcus bentley love you too

thought that was gonna end in a world of pain when you took off but seems they did ya right

onward!!!

Look, stop having fun Roberto, and give us an update.

David Lee
    Quote Originally Posted by The Nutty GSER View Post
    Look, stop having fun Roberto, and give us an update.
    +1 from me too.

It's raining outside and I have done what need to be done (workwise) today
    so an update would be much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by David Lee View Post
    +1 from me too.

It's raining outside and I have done what need to be done (workwise) today
    so an update would be much appreciated
    +2 its still raining here to,we need pics of sunshine and great roads

Maybe he's been abducted by some sort of Portugese ladyboy

Oops better get scribbling.

But if I were to tell you we'd just hauled up in a place in Spain where it is San Miguel/ Fiesta or whatever tonight, well.. there might be a further delay..

I ain't got no stinkin' visa! Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    .. there might be a further delay..
    I can confirm that there WILL be a further delay.. beer and wine and fighting bulls is involved

ballistic

Son of Ah Knah Yee Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    Oops better get scribbling.

But if I were to tell you we'd just hauled up in a place in Spain where it is San Miguel/ Fiesta or whatever tonight, well.. there might be a further delay..
    Quote Originally Posted by ballistic View Post
    I can confirm that there WILL be a further delay.. beer and wine and fighting bulls is involved
    You never let me down.

PUI since 2004

[url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Braganca to Ponferrada

OK then, back to it

Well the one notable thing about Braganca is that it is like a ghost town. We did enjoy a drink and some chicken last night; the only people loitering Brian observed were two very low quality prostitutes (as ballistic described them: The Fat Slags.. Euccchhhhh..)

We get up and leave the deserted hotel and leave the deserted town. Strange place, that.

We head due West from Braganca on a peach of a road. Twisting, turning, flowing, in bright sunshine, all five minutes from the Hotel. Lovely. Well the first thing to reflect upon is after running in its so, so nice not to have a hexagonal rear tyre profile, so that turning in doesn't feel like you're riding the rear wheel up a kerb every time you try and point the bike round a corner. Nice.

The plan is for a picnic lunch in the hills. To save assembling sandwiches we decide to kop out and raid a local bar for lunch. We cross back in to Spain and stop in a town. We grab Empanadas, Tortilla, cobble rolls containing chewy ham and some crisps. When we pulled in the local Guardia Civil had observed us, gone past, stopped and whilst we had gone to grab food gone up to the bikes and observed closely. As we wandered back slowly, they got in the car, came back, circled and went back up the road and stopped again. I'm sure we pished on their parade proper when we promptly pulled off, u-turned and zipped off down a side road and out of town.

We found a shady spot and enjoyed what was an excellent al fresco lunch..

After lunch we had more astonishingly good riding, well, which would rank as good as any day I've ever had on the bike.

Stunning vistas..

Views I seldom see on the Romford Ring Road..

Senor ballistic goes off to investigate a track..

Lovely, lovely, lovely.

Action shot..

Lovely sunshine. However, riding most of the day without my Factor 20 and with the Flip up leave me with a ridiculous trapezoid style System 6 tan with a bright red nose...

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast