What I did to someone else's bike today

Technical term no doubt....:confused: :D
Sort of Mike. The K75 clutch pushrod is fitted via the front of the gearbox and means that the re-fitting of the gearbox requires much more care lining it all up. The K100 pushrod is fitted from the back so it's so much easier, almost like chucking it at the bike. :D

Onwards. First thing this morning I re-fitted the alternator and starter motor.

The clutch pushrod, spring and cover went back in.

Then it was the swingarm:

BMW-K1-118-M.jpg

Along with the Paralever bar:

BMW-K1-120-M.jpg

With the swingarm back in, I adjusted the clutch.

Final-drive and suspension strut:

BMW-K1-119-M.jpg

Before re-fitting the rear brake disc, I cleaned the retaining screw threads of the old Loctite:

BMW-K1-116-M.jpg

Then re-fitted the disc, fresh Loctite and torqued-up:

BMW-K1-121-M.jpg

The back wheel is on temporarily:

BMW-K1-122-M.jpg

BMW-K1-123-M.jpg

So that I can wheel it outside to rinse it off before cleaning up the frame for a coat of polish.

That'll be it for now. I have a planned RV with former Moderator, self confessed by-way wafter and great travelling companion, Clive (and the fragrant Mandy of course). They are meandering about Devon in their wobbly-box and luncheon beckons.

Thanks but North Devon savages scare me too much. :D

Made a start on the mucky process of cleaning the gearbox casing:

BMW-K1-84-M.jpg

. :D

what do you use to bring he ali up like that ??

ignore that, just read post 43, must not read threads backwards !!!

A variety of brass-bristled wire brushes (brass because they're less aggressive than steel).

A slow speed drill (to maintain control of the brush).

A light oil as a surface lubricant to avoid heat build-up and to prevent scratching/scarring the cast surfaces (the only worthwhile use of WD40 I've yet found).

Then use more light oil and a rag to clean away the dirt as you go with a final wipe over before using a decent detergent to remove the oily film.

Is there any chance you could post a photo of said brushes? Also what detergent do you use?

Thanks

Steve

Is there any chance you could post a photo of said brushes? Also what detergent do you use?
Brushes like this:

SPECIAL-OFFERS-2-002-300x225.jpg

But more of them and a variety of sizes. Most places that you'd expect sell them, Machinemart, B&Q etc.

For stripping powder coat, I use a similar type of brass-wire cup-brush but in an angle-grinder.

Anything soapy. All the detergent does is get rid of any oily residue because that's what attracts the crap and causes staining.

Update to follow when Smugmug finishes uploading.

Smugmug is now working again.

Today I removed the plastic washers from the external fairing screws, rubbed them down and re-sprayed them (it doesn't look it but the collected screws are 50 quids worth so cleaning and re-painting makes sense):

BMW-K1-124-M.jpg

Then a first coat of satin black. Nothing would look worse against the nice fairing paint than scabby fixings:

BMW-K1-125-M.jpg

While the paint was curing, I replaced the foot-rest plates and the rear brake including the rear ABS pump:

BMW-K1-127-M.jpg

That included replacing the snapped-off rider's right foot-rest:

BMW-K1-126-M.jpg

The pin, spring, spacer and cotter-pin had a de-grease while the foot-rest rubber end plate was straightened in the vice.

BMW-K1-128-M.jpg

Cleaned up the header pipe studs and re-fitted the nearside and offside lower fairing mounts:

BMW-K1-129-M.jpg

Oh and contrary to what at least one person thought, the engine casings are not nice and shiny because I've squirted them with some sort of cockpit cleaner stuff. That's the original painted finish treated to a decent cut and polish. ;)

Then back on with the exhaust system:

BMW-K1-130-M.jpg

Unlike the K75, these have a one piece system some (but not this one) are catalyst equipped. Getting the new sealing rings in the exhaust ports while lining up the complete system requires three hands but I managed with just my two and a scissor jack.

There's a suspension point added to the stand sub-frame. The nut was missing when I stripped the exhaust and I wondered if it was because it wouldn't line-up but it went on okay.

BMW-K1-132-M.jpg

BMW-K1-131-M.jpg

Before packing in for the day I gave the faring screws a last coat of paint.

BMW-K1-133-M.jpg

Wonderful job so far Mike, and an engrossing read :thumb2

BTW, the therapeutic value of this renovation is obvious....your sense of humour has improved dramatically :D

:beerjug:

It's the spending of someone else's money that's therapeutic Bill. :D

The paint on the fairing screws has cured but one of them had a badly chewed plastic washer and on another the washer was missing altogether.

Then I remembered that I had a couple of manky screws from my K1 in the bucket of old fixings:

BMW-K1-147-M.jpg

They sacrificed their washers in a good cause:

BMW-K1-148-M.jpg

BMW-K1-149-M.jpg

My old bike will live on, albeit it a very small way, in a snug carcoon thing. :D

Next to get the clean and polish treatment was this:

BMW-K1-134-M.jpg

Stripped:

BMW-K1-135-M.jpg

Cleaned and polished:

BMW-K1-137-M.jpg

I did raid my supply of stainless fasteners for a couple of nuts and the retaining screw:

BMW-K1-136-M.jpg

That package from Motobins arrived this morning as I was working. The contents: New fuel filter, plugs, stainless rear calliper mounting screws and new tank badges (both those fitted are de-laminating):

BMW-K1-138-M.jpg

A dab of aluminium anti-seize on the threads and in with the new plugs:

BMW-K1-139-M.jpg

A squirt of this:

BMW-K1-140-M.jpg

Then re-arrange the leads (they are handily numbered):

BMW-K1-141-M.jpg

Fitted the stainless calliper mounting screws (another daub of aluminium anti-seize):

BMW-K1-144-M.jpg

Using the feeler gauge from the pristine tool-roll, checked the ABS sensor gaps front and rear:

BMW-K1-142-M.jpg

BMW-K1-145-M.jpg

Finally, greased and re-fitted the gear pedal and linkage:

BMW-K1-146-M.jpg

Hopefully, I'll get all the other little jobs done before the panels with the body shop are ready. Still to do:

Replace tank badges.
Change the fuel filter.
Re-fill the system with fresh coolant (25% anti-freeze).
Re-fill gearbox, final drive and engine oil.
Fit new battery.
Strip and re-spray battery retaining strap.
Re-fit Motronic unit.
Re-fit ABS control unit.
Re-set the ABS (fingers-crossed).
Re-route and secure all cables and wiring.
Re-fit both parts of rear mudguard.
Re-fit and adjust the bench seat release mechanism (the seat wasn't fitting properly).
Both helmet locks need cleaning-up before the rear quarter panels go back together.
All the painted body panels that have not gone for repair need a cut and polish.

Happy days ahead. :bounce1

jesus as if i havnt enough to do , you making me think a K will sit nicely in the garage too :blast:D not only that she will bloody kill me :eek:

If someone's paying you to strip clean and fix his bike, i'm assuming this thread is photographic evidence to claim the money :D

My costs so far are about a tenner for electricity and polish. ;)

Last night I cleaned the "gloop" off the front-wheel fairing and this morning reassembled it on the bike:

BMW-K1-152-M.jpg

This is rather like an eggshell in many ways; it's pretty fragile when in more than one piece but once assembled is fairly strong.

I don't think there can be any in existence that don't have tiny stress fractures around the point where it has to be fitted around the fork sliders and encouraged to slide into the rubber shroud.

You really cannot even polish it with any enthusiasm when it's off the bike but once in place, apart from the leading lower edges that are unsupported, it's quite strong.

BMW-K1-151-M.jpg

Off out now to procure the new battery. :)

BMW-K1-154-M.jpg

K1 V price of a kidney ..........

All through the past couple of days, I've been struggling with the realisation that I've put my mate onto what's probably one of the best red & yellow livery K1s around and the deal is done. I've never experienced such mixed feelings in my life. On the one hand I'm pleased for my mate and yet I hate the sod with a passion. If only I could have sold a kidney. :D

Would a kidney have raised the required amount of money :confused: The deal is done & funds are now in the bank account. All thats left is shipping the said red & yellow K1 to his in laws ;). I owe you a beer for the referral :beer:.

Thanks for the beer Luke. I and some mates have started a book on how long it will be before Paddy drops it. :D He hasn't ridden any bike for ages so I sent him an email detailing the restricted steering lock, tendency to be a bit top-heavy at low speeds, fragility of the plastic and the feet behind the ears riding position.

He's already offered it to me for what he paid you plus shipping. I've more horror stories to tell him, by the time I've finished he'll be begging me to take it for free. :D

Dumb question of the day.......

Why have plug cap 2 facing forwards so you've got that extreme bend in it?

Couldn't it face backwards then take out the slack elsewhere?

BMW-K1-141-M.jpg

:nenau

Back
Top Bottom