Well...here goes.....transalp 700 it is !

adyb

Reaction score
Well, just about to put down a deposit on one of the last tri colour transalp 700's out there.....hope I am doing the right thing. Seriously hoping it wont be a life of letters advising of recalls and other minor niggles, as I had with the last GS?:aidan

700TA...Good ‘bike. Easy to live with, great on fuel, watch out for corrosion particularly on the wheels/spokes. Don’t buy the official Honda luggage as it’s too small and just overall nasty. The ABS is perfect, as in you don't know it's there until you need it.

Enjoy....:)

a realy great bike!

A fantastic bike it just does what you want it to do. For highway the taller screen is very good, the honda one is expensive but works I tried the Kappa one and it was not as good.
Honda luggage is expensive and very small and super complicated to fit! get something else. Scott oiler is a good thing and crash bars. Adjusting the rear pre load is a pain and its quicker to drop shock off to do and then leave alone. and the bash plate is er not realy a bash plate! Ive had a aluminium one water jetted in 4 mm ali.

Nought at all wrong with a honda transalp i had a 650 tranny and it never ever missed a beat!!! Now have another one ( bought this summer as a spare bikie while my gsa was away on its hols ( to Alaska , lot of transport time !) these bikes need a wee bit of work imho to make them viable as a tourer .
Engine bars, panniers, (not plastic honda ones as ye dont want to ruin your trip with a wee drop n break!!) decent chain/sprocket kit, oiler,touring screen ,extra lights at the front (keep the cadgies away) All in all the transalp in its various forms is IMHO a much underated motorcycle.

nice one on ebay at the moment - had stainless spokes from new :nenau

quite fancy one myself

look forward to hear how you get on :thumb

May be looking for one (or Versys / Weestrom) for the Mrs first bike / commuter bike for me.

None of these Jap bikes bother me, only European stuff causes concern, a shame really as I prefered the GS to the Tenere, and would have loved a Stelvio but just do not trust anything non Jap - my BMW experience has fully cemented this prejudice.

None of these Jap bikes bother me, only European stuff causes concern, a shame really as I prefered the GS to the Tenere, and would have loved a Stelvio but just do not trust anything non Jap - my BMW experience has fully cemented this prejudice.

But your BMW bike never had a showstopper failure, it was your brain that cemented this prejudice and your ongoing paranoia of all things BMW Motorrad

If you distrust and hate the BMW Motorrad brand so much , just fuck right off and let us enjoy our crap bikes in peace............... without your constant and unrelenting denegration of the bikes we ride

You really are fucking boring:mad:

Hi JohnnyBoxer......just my view but that's quite an inappropriate post ! Sorry if i started something that has caused someone else to deserve that sort of treatment.

I have watched and contributed to this forum for a few years now as I recall, throughout my GS ownerships......three in all.

For my part, I have very little time for biking, less money than before and therefore a desperate need to just be able to get on and go for a ride out alone or with mates....with a simple and dependable machine.....the latter part of my GS ownership was tainted with taking up too many of my rare opportunities popping to a dealer for recalls or the like.....that said, the big GS is, and probably always will be, the best bike I ever owned as a concept.

Maybe one day a return to the fold will be on the cards...but for the forseable I will be taking a dip into the Honda pool to see water the water is like...who knows....it might be a case of out of the frying pan, into the fire !!!!

:beerjug:

Hi JohnnyBoxer......just my view but that's quite an inappropriate post ! Sorry if i started something that has caused someone else to deserve that sort of treatment.

I have watched and contributed to this forum for a few years now as I recall, throughout my GS ownerships......three in all.

For my part, I have very little time for biking, less money than before and therefore a desperate need to just be able to get on and go for a ride out alone or with mates....with a simple and dependable machine.....the latter part of my GS ownership was tainted with taking up too many of my rare opportunities popping to a dealer for recalls or the like.....that said, the big GS is, and probably always will be, the best bike I ever owned as a concept.

Maybe one day a return to the fold will be on the cards...but for the forseable I will be taking a dip into the Honda pool to see water the water is like...who knows....it might be a case of out of the frying pan, into the fire !!!!

:beerjug:

Not aimed at you adyb whatsoever, I think the TA700 looks a lovely bike especially in RWB, with gold anodised wheels:drool

I'm with you and also own 2 Honda bikes in the garage, plus a Honda car etc - good gear

Just completely fecked off with Rasher's moaning and whining about BMW Motorrad (as are quite a few others in reality) - so just wish he'd feck off or shut up......................he is one tiresome fecker:(

i think rasher is fun and brightens the place up,they do say every village as got one, i'm hednesfords enjoy your trannie a good honest bike me thinks, if it were a dog it would be a beagle.

I've had four GS's and in my opinion they have a "soul" and a riding experience that the jap bikes will never achieve. One of them did break my heart and wallet. I was angry after the experience but life goes on and I have to take this in perspective.One out of four aint bad.
The Jap's have been attempting copies of the GS for years but they are missing the point.
I simply can't afford a GS right now. I don't have the mechanical ability to keep one and I cant afford dealer service and repair prices so I will stick with the cheap Japanese bikes and look with envy at the GSers wafting by.
Enjoy the Transalp and don't do what I did during my ownership. I was happily racking up miles on the tranny when a friend whom I introduced to GS's offered me a spin on his bike. Remus can , loads of torque, sublime handling, and I came back with a huge grin on my face. It was such a let down to get back on the Tranny- Bastard ruined it for me:D

But your BMW bike never had a showstopper failure, it was your brain that cemented this prejudice and your ongoing paranoia of all things BMW Motorrad

If you distrust and hate the BMW Motorrad brand so much , just fuck right off and let us enjoy our crap bikes in peace............... without your constant and unrelenting denegration of the bikes we ride

You really are fucking boring:mad:

:agree :agree :agree

I have a new found respect for JB more posts like this please!. It's good to remind those that type the same boring opinion over and over again how mundanely sad they are.

JB generally gives balanced help, advice and opinions rasher however.........

I have a new found respect for JB more posts like this please!. It's good to remind those that type the same boring opinion over and over again how mundanely sad they are.

JB generally gives balanced help, advice and opinions rasher however.........

Sorry I forgot unless you suck your BMW dealers cock every Saturday your opinion don't count :blast

Probably same for the advice I give, regardless of if it is on the bike I currently own, my experience with the BMW, routes and places to stay abroad, or riding kit... all fucking worthless cos it don't come from a BMW owner.

If the forum does not want us non BMW owners here why do they have sections for other bikes and continue to accept my subs :nenau

I find many a BMW fanatic tiresome, but each to their own, this forum may as well be run by BMW if your gonna throw out anyone who does think the bikes are completely flawless.

Don't worry I won't renew my subs this time around.

Rasher me old mate. No one wants you gone and I for one think you post good stuff with regard to a lot of subjects and having met you, I reckon you are good sort:thumb

However, what pisses people off is your on going slagging of the bike which is the mainstay of this brilliant forum. We all know there have been and will continue to be issues with it and it's no better or worse than any other bike if you scan the forums. Most of what you say about the bike is not founded on your own experience because by your own words, it was a good bike with no major problems. Even when people told you how to save money by not going to dealers and how to fix any issue which may happen, you refused on the whole to take the advice and just wound yourself up into a state where you thought the thing would explode under you or everyone was stitching you up at every opportunity.

All you have to do is stop the ceaseless snide and frankly unhelpful comments about the GS when there is really no need to post it and all will be well.

Carry on everyone:thumb

Don't worry I won't renew my subs this time around.

I can only think of one person who would give a shit, threatening to leave public forums is the both funny and sad in equal measure.

You get me wrong I agree with a lot of your sentiment but this is Ukgser! Bilko is quite correct, stop raining on the parade.

Hi all, just trying to turn this back to something more positive, but without creating a long and boring thread that has probably been covered many MANY times before. I am inherently lazy, and dont have loads of time for bike wahing and polishing. There is lots of talk of different products to spray on a bike to stop the rot.....and having a garage which can get a bit damp in winter, I will need to do something in addition to my dehumidifier.

What would you recommend as a single product to keep in there to spray over the bikes metal parts, rims, engine frame etc etc etc that will give this new bike a half decent chance of staying new looking through the winter?

Some seem to just go with WD40 (have got some of that), others like scottoiler products.....just want something to spray everywhere if possible every once in a while?

You need

ACF 50

spray on let the crap build up top up if any comes off

If you do get as far as a jetwash stand back in amazement sparkly clean underneath provided it was reasonable before you started

Back
Top Bottom