Husqvarna TE410E Starting Problems

Cornwallis

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After 4 years of trouble free riding my TE410 electric start is struggling to do just that. The carbs have been cleaned; windings/pulse generator checked by Westcountry Windings; and valve clearances checked but I'm now running out of ideas. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Apparently it's a common problem with this bike. Thanks

After 4 years of trouble free riding my TE410 electric start is struggling to do just that. The carbs have been cleaned; windings/pulse generator checked by Westcountry Windings; and valve clearances checked but I'm now running out of ideas. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Apparently it's a common problem with this bike. Thanks

Have you checked the rubber boot between the carb and the cylinder heat for any splits?

Mine split mid trail ride and refused to start, as it messes up the fuel/air mixture.

A few turns of insulation tape over the split and all was good as new (well it got me home!).

Also,

Have you checked the woodruff key on the flywheel? IIRC this is where all the timing is controlled, and if this key has sheared it will throw the timing out.

As luck would have it i may have a flywheel puller on ebay right now, that might fit :augie

Are you getting a spark?

Have you made sure your not kinking the fuel hose when you put the tank back on?

Some redimentary questions i know, but i've been in the same place on a few occassions after putting the bike back together...

Many thanks for the top tips. I'll run through your suggestions over the weekend. It's so frustrating because, when it's going, it's an awesome bike.

starting problems

Hi there, I had terrible starting problems with my 410, I tried everything then someone suggested an irridium plug, it stood for 3 months and started first touch of the button. Also I noticed it can be a sod to start if you turn the fuel off when its left for a while(never turn mine off now). Dont know how you start yours but mine doesnt like choke, I crank it over without choke and when it fires I give it a small amount to keep it ticking over
Cheers Dave

Much appreciated advice

I've checked the rubber boot and fuel hose as per Losttheplot's suggestion and they're fine. I'm afarid that the woodruff key's a bit beyone my capabilities but I'll mention it to my mechanic mate if the iridium plug doesn't work (just ordered one off eBay).

I managed to get the bike going on Saturday thanks to a tow from a friend. And on Sunday, after around ten minutes of half choke and no choke, it fired up. Interestingly, it starts first or second time after it's been running.

Thanks for all of the advice.

I've checked the rubber boot and fuel hose as per Losttheplot's suggestion and they're fine. I'm afarid that the woodruff key's a bit beyone my capabilities but I'll mention it to my mechanic mate if the iridium plug doesn't work (just ordered one off eBay).

I managed to get the bike going on Saturday thanks to a tow from a friend. And on Sunday, after around ten minutes of half choke and no choke, it fired up. Interestingly, it starts first or second time after it's been running.

Thanks for all of the advice.

have you drained the carb bowl?

i used to find mine could be a pig sometimes. I could leave it for weeks and it would start first kick (it was the enduro model, but very little difference in the engines as far as ignition and fueling go), but if i want to run it for a second day on the trot it wouldn't want to know.

What used to help was leaning the bike over to get any stale fuel out of the carb before starting.

Woodruff key should be easy to check. IIRC it is the key that holds the flywheel in position, remove the flywheel cover (think it was 3 allen bolts) and behind is the flywheel. Pop this off with an extractor and the key should be on the shaft in front of you. though from what you said about the bike running fine once you got it going, i doubt it's this.

hth

Had exactly the same symptoms on my old 450 Berg. A bastid when cold but once warmed up no probs - turned out to be the mixture screw had vibrated out of the carb :eek Might be worth a check, you never know.

Andres

Back
Top Bottom