A168 Crash

Deleted account Cooperman

Reaction score
Got caught up in the traffic from the closure of this stretch between the A1 and the A19 near Thirsk today.

The news suggested a motorcyclist was involved and I saw the air ambulance depart on its way to James Cook hospital.

I hope all involved are OK.

Unlikely to be Ok if they were flown from the scene.... you never want to wish the worst for people but some of the people I see on big bikes don't do themselves any favours :(

Unlikely to be Ok if they were flown from the scene.... you never want to wish the worst for people but some of the people I see on big bikes don't do themselves any favours :(

Some of the people I see in cars and vans don't either..............

Do you know something about this accident that isn't public knowledge?

Al

Not good

Police are appealing for witnesses to the serious collision on the A168 near Topcliffe this morning (Thursday 20 September 2012).

The collision occurred just before 10.20am on the north-bound carriageway between Topcliffe and Thirsk near The Grange turn-off.

It involved a motorcyclist riding a black Kawasaki and a white Ford pick-up which was towing a horsebox. Both vehicles were on the north-bound carriageway and collided when the pick-up and horse-box attempted a manoeuvre. The motorcycle came to rest in the central reservation as a result of the collision.

The motorcyclist, a man in his fifties from the County Durham area, sustained serious injuries as a result of the collision and was airlifted to James Cook Hospital in Middlesbrough where he remains in a critical condition.

The driver of the pickup, a man in his thirties from Doncaster, was arrested in connection with the crash. He is currently in police custody.
The north-bound carriageway was fully closed, while the south-bound carriageway was partially closed. The road was reopened at 2.45pm this afternoon.

Police are appealing for anyone who was travelling north or south-bound on the A168 this morning and saw either vehicles prior to the crash, or witnessed the actual collision, to contact them.
Witnesses are asked to call Traffic Constable Neil Cholmondeley on 101, select option 2 and quote his collar number 1.3.2.6. Or, you can email him at neil.cholondeley@northyorkshire.pnn.police.uk

The guy on the bike is our mate Gee, we'd all just returned from a trip to Germany and split up, Gee was on his own making his way home. He's had an op on a broken pelvis and is sedated at the moment. He's expected to make a full recovery eventually but with a limp. We're all devastated about this, especially as we'd all split up to go home so he was on his own.

I'll be visiting him when he's recovered a little, will keep you informed

Martin

Some of the people I see in cars and vans don't either..............

Do you know something about this accident that isn't public knowledge?

Al

So very sorry I had an opinion :rolleyes:

@ebbo - hope your pal is OK again soon.

The guy on the bike is our mate Gee, we'd all just returned from a trip to Germany and split up, Gee was on his own making his way home. He's had an op on a broken pelvis and is sedated at the moment. He's expected to make a full recovery eventually but with a limp. We're all devastated about this, especially as we'd all split up to go home so he was on his own.

Martin

Martin, sorry to hear about Gee, I wonder if he is the same chap I bought a 1200LT (had a replacement subframe after a rear end shunt) off nine years ago October 2003, he had a G 4 GEE reg on his bike in those days, his name was Graham lived in Otley, give him my best wishes anyway on a speedy recovery.
This was his old bike at Princetown before I was BANNED :friday:beer::comfort

Attachments

• Princetown (1) Small.jpg
    Princetown (1) Small.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 600
It involved a motorcyclist riding a black Kawasaki and a white Ford pick-up which was towing a horsebox. Both vehicles were on the north-bound carriageway and collided when the pick-up and horse-box attempted a manoeuvre. [/COLOR][/EMAIL]

Hope your mates Okay.
Same thing happened to me last year on the way to the Hograost, but he was carring portaloos, after he turned right up tank track, he continued to drag me up the road for thirty meters, never looked in his mirrors once, if he did he would of seen me wedged under his trailer!!! (thought I could hear something :tosser) I was lucky and by the sounds of it so was your mate, wish him all the best and fast recovery:thumb2

Martin

Send him my best wishes, main thing is he'll be ok.

Dave

Martin, sorry to hear about Gee, I wonder if he is the same chap I bought a 1200LT (had a replacement subframe after a rear end shunt) off nine years ago October 2003, he had a G 4 GEE reg on his bike in those days, his name was Graham lived in Otley, give him my best wishes anyway on a speedy recovery.
This was his old bike at Princetown before I was BANNED :friday:beer::comfort
Sorry, not the same guy.

Thanks, I'll pass on all your kind regards when I see him, much appreciated,

Ill update this thread when I know more

Martin

Sorry, not the same guy.

Thanks, I'll pass on all your kind regards when I see him, much appreciated,

Ill update this thread when I know more

Martin
Gee's out of intensive care now. he was in high dependance very briefly, now on an ordinary ward. In the end he suffered a broken jaw, femur and pelvis, after various ops all on the mend now, we'll be visiting soon.

Gee's out of intensive care now. he was in high dependance very briefly, now on an ordinary ward. In the end he suffered a broken jaw, femur and pelvis, after various ops all on the mend now, we'll be visiting soon.
That's the important bit.

I hope it's a full (and swift) recovery.

Good news for Gee.

What's happening with the pick-up driver?
Don't know about the other driver yet, I'll try and find out when I visit.

He will have a limp after this I was told, but we'll have to wait and see.

Thanks for your interest guys, I'll let him know :thumb2

Court case in the news, driver was given a 14-month prison sentence, suspended for two years, with 240 hours of unpaid work.

The judge, Recorder Margia Mostafa, also ordered him to pay £1,000 compensation and £500 costs and banned him from driving for 21 months.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/10517318.print/

I was there again yesterday, on the bike heading towards Sutton Bank and the East Coast.

The A19 is a very unsafe road as most traffic treats it as though it's a motorway and yet you still have traffic crossing as well as farm traffic.

I hope your mate has made a good recovery.

Back
Top Bottom