K75S no drive?

The Grey One

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
We have just rescued a guest with his 1989 K75S, lost drive yesterday and was taken to nearest bike garage (KTM dealer) They didn't want to work on it so we collected it a brought it here. Clutch lever feels normal, engages-or appears to-every gear, but no drive just a light whirring noise. Any ideas?

John

Gotta be the drive shaft ...... :nenau

Clutch center plate, stripped splines, replace with new plate with "graphogem" on the splines..
As you see, my g/box splines are worn, but no probs in 6K miles

DSCF0428.jpg

DSCF0424.jpg

Clutch center plate, stripped splines, replace with new plate with "graphogem" on the splines..
As you see, my g/box splines are worn, but no probs in 6K miles

Proff you old git, welcome back, how's things?

And its Graphogen :blast

Stripped splines.

There are splines on the output/balancer shaft to clutch carrier. Splines (obviously) on the clutch plate and gearbox input shaft. Splines on the gearbox output shaft to drive shaft and more on the other end of the drive shaft to the final drive.

It could be any but is most likely to be the clutch - gearbox input shaft. With luck only the splines on the clutch plate will be buggered (but not likely).

The only good thing is that it's an easy bike to strip and parts are relatively cheap.

Looks like I am now the proud owner of a K75S. The owner didn't want to have it repaired here-can't say I blame him with the prices quoted. He has no breakdown recovery so it would cost loads to get it shipped back home to Scotland.

i think i will strip it down to find out what went wrong- i expect to be back on here for more advice later.

John

Looks like I am now the proud owner of a K75S. The owner didn't want to have it repaired here-can't say I blame him with the prices quoted. He has no breakdown recovery so it would cost loads to get it shipped back home to Scotland.

i think i will strip it down to find out what went wrong- i expect to be back on here for more advice later.

John

you jammy fecker :D

Just started to strip it down and there are almost no splines left at the final drive end. I want to get the shaft out but can't see how the r/h arm pivot comes out-on the left hand side there is a big nut and an Allen screw but on the right hand side there is a circular plate held in with three Allen screws. Where do i go from there-I don't want to damage anything so it would be nice to know how it comes apart rather than forcing something and making a mess of it. Any advice would be very welcome. If it turns out to be just the driveshaft I think I will be playing with the bike over the winter to get it back on the road next spring.

John

Undo the three Allen screws. The pivot pin is that flat circular thing and it should come away easily.

If it doesn't, there's a threaded hole in the centre into which you screw a suitable bolt and can then grip that with mole-grips or pliers.

Leave the adjuster-side pivot in place as you loosen the fixed side, that will avoid the shaft-housing dropping on that side and putting a twisting force on the fixed pivot.

The fixed pivot is the one in the centre here:

BMW-K1-75-M.jpg

Undo the three Allen screws. The pivot pin is that flat circular thing and it should come away easily.

If it doesn't, there's a threaded hole in the centre into which you screw a suitable bolt and can then grip that with mole-grips or pliers.

Leave the adjuster-side pivot in place as you loosen the fixed side, that will avoid the shaft-housing dropping on that side and putting a twisting force on the fixed pivot.

The fixed pivot is the one in the centre here:

BMW-K1-75-M.jpg

Thanks very much, the circular thingy must just be stuck then, I will try a little persuasion! I have sourced a driveshaft so hopefully the bike will be OK. I will try to take a few photos of the progress during the winter.

Thanks Again

John

John they use a similar locating pin on the 1200GS

I had an old car body repair hammer (slide hammer) in the drawer I fitted an M6 bolt in the end of it and use the bump hammer to get my own and others out

BMW REALLY should use a dollop of grease on assembly of if you have one you should remove and grease it every year

Trust me After Boirches mess Mine and my mates were done immediately after his went

John they use a similar locating pin on the 1200GS

I had an old car body repair hammer (slide hammer) in the drawer I fitted an M6 bolt in the end of it and use the bump hammer to get my own and others out

BMW REALLY should use a dollop of grease on assembly of if you have one you should remove and grease it every year

Trust me After Boirches mess Mine and my mates were done immediately after his went

Bloody thing is tight! I have tried a bit of heat and I can just get it to turn. I don't think the thread would stand the strain on this one. I have left it soaking in penetrating oil, there is plenty of time as the replacement shaft wont be delivered until the middle of October.

John

Another drive shaft will be on its way to me soon, Thanks Gadget!
I have a friend driving over here mid October so he will bring it over with him. When I fit the shaft I will test the bike and the decide what to do with it. It looks basically sound but could do with some TLC, if it rides OK and I have no reason to doubt it-it did almost get here from Scotland after all- then I think it will be worth a bit of work over the winter months before I sell it on. Always assuming I can get it registered here without too much trouble/expense.

Expect to see a few more requests for info and advice in the coming months

John

Time for an update

With Christmas and New Year out of the way I have found time to take another look at the K75.

The stubborn pivot was gave in to and even more stubborn old man! I could then remove the damaged driveshaft and so think of what comes next. My plan is to return the beast to a good state ready for the next biking season here.

Not having worked on a K series before it was a bit of a voyage of discovery but most things have come apart without problems. Two fixings on the rear number plate mounting are seized and are left soaked in penetrating oil for another day.

John

Attachments

• DSCN1636.jpg
    DSCN1636.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 307
  • DSCN1640.jpg
    DSCN1640.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 330
  • DSCN1649.jpg
    DSCN1649.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:
Yep, those splines are fecked and look exactly like mine when my K75 ground to a halt a few weeks before Christmas. I sent the shaft to MotoBins and they replaced the end section with a new splined piece. Bike is running perfectly now.

What is the mileage on the bike?

Yep, those splines are fecked and look exactly like mine when my K75 ground to a halt a few weeks before Christmas. I sent the shaft to MotoBins and they replaced the end section with a new splined piece. Bike is running perfectly now.

What is the mileage on the bike?

Just under 62000 miles showing. I have a replacement shaft so just need to tidy the old girl up. Might need a bit of advice as the job progresses, so far the only thing I know it will need is a new screen. Several of the panels need repairing and I'm not sure about the colour, I think the bike was once red.

John

so far the only thing I know it will need is a new screen.
Postage to Austria might be a bit more than a fiver but:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323661

The Grey One said:
Several of the panels need repairing and I'm not sure about the colour, I think the bike was once red.

John
They did do the 75S in Dakar yellow but that's not what you seem to have there, plus that front mudguard, or at least the rear half, is from an 1100LT.

Postage to Austria might be a bit more than a fiver but:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323661

They did do the 75S in Dakar yellow but that's not what you seem to have there, plus that front mudguard, or at least the rear half, is from an 1100LT.

I'm sure it's been repainted-not a bad job and some while ago I would guess-panniers are also in yellow. Its not my favorite colour-attracts kamikazee insects and incontinent birds! What colours did they come in and where can i get matching paint for those colours?

Don't know anything about these bikes so any info/help greatly appreciated.

John

Back
Top Bottom