Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Wapping's Wanders 2013 - 23-31 August 2013 - Annecy

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    We (Yorkie and I) did not need to economic with the truth. They just let us through, as we are charming fellows and would enhance the waiting area no end.

The non-robot checkers in the queues BEFORE the check-in were asking to see punters' tickets, BEFORE letting them go forward. Any outside of the two hour slot were all being directed out of the terminal to twiddle their thumbs in Calais.
    The secret is not to have a ticket - just point at bit of paper in map pocket with hand written reference no. This was enough in my case.

The alternative would be me getting off the bike, rummaging in panniers for my netbook, waiting for it to boot up to share the electronic confirmation just because they decide to change the way you check in, as clearly described on their website. Even the signs on the way in say drive up to a robot if you have a booking. They don't say you will be interrogated as to your worthiness to be greeted by a robot.

I think the person talking to me realised I'm an awkward cúnt who should not be messed with . The robot was very charming in comparison, providing excellent customer service, giving me just the right amount of time to have a piss and get lunch before being called to my place near the front of the train.
    This space deliberately left blank as the author writes too much pretentious bollocks as it is.

Fat Bikers Bounce Better Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Must have just missed you lot at the Tunnel on Saturday. We were booked on the 14.40 in the cage but we arrived early and were redirected by the bods on the slip road to that hell hole "Cite de Europe" for retail therapy as they were fully booked.

Returned later and were allowed (by the robot) on the 14.20.
    Arrogant Patronising English scum living the dream ...

Quote Originally Posted by ChasMill View Post
    Must have just missed you lot at the Tunnel on Saturday. We were booked on the 14.40 in the cage but we arrived early and were redirected by the bods on the slip road to that hell hole "Cite de Europe" for retail therapy as they were fully booked.

Returned later and were allowed (by the robot) on the 14.20.
    You would definitely have missed us, we weren't there until Sunday

It was very busy though

Annecy Trip

Got home finally at 9.15 after being turned away by the evil trolls on the entrance to the tunnel, so thought might as well make the most of the chance to stay in France for an extra 6 hours and check out the beaches in Normandy.
    As a complete 'greenhorn' to foreign motorcycle travel I was so lucky to hook up with such a nice group of guys, who supported me through the trip.
    I thought the trip was wonderful with great roads and mountain passes and the memory of me trying to following Richard up to the top of Col de L'Iseran will remain with me for ever.
    Like the other guys I also agree that Richard's planning and organisation was superb and made the rip run like clockwork, but for me the preparation in Madeira was also key.
    Many thanks to Richard, Neil, Dave, Peter and Tom.

Regards Byron

Quote Originally Posted by byron View Post
    Got home finally at 9.15
    That's a lonnnnnnnnnnnnng day.

.....and the memory of me trying to following Richard up to the top of Col de L'Iseran will remain with me for ever.
    We'll go up there quickly next time

.....but for me the preparation in Madeira was also key.
    Me? I have to settle on the exit of the M25 to the M20 and a Toblerone.

Glad you enjoyed and thanks for keeping us amused. The tale of your snip will live long in the memory

As promised, here are the routes we took, having deleted the optional routes we didn't take.

In essence, it is all the 'indirect' or 'scenic' routes, along with the rideouts.

For Annecy, there are two rideouts:

(1) Up to Lake Geneva and back, stopping on the lakeside at Evian, returning via a different route. This takes in assorted cols and passes, with a great view over Lake Geneva. This is 250 miles but doable in a day without killing yourself. My honest tip would be to cut out the start and Lake Bourget, as it only brings you back in a circle to Annecy. Head straight north instead. This would reduce the mileage but not detract too much from the ride.

(2) A day out (over 250 miles) over various cols and passes, including Galibier and L'Iseran, two of the highest passes in the region. It's doable in a day with stops but do watch the time. If you can get going by 08:30 great. Similarly, we started and stopped in Doussard; add 20 to 40 minutes if you are in Annecy itself as the lakeside traffic can be heavy.

Of course you can simply not do the full 250 mile circuit and / or miss out the Galibier.... but where's the fun in that?

I have then added a decent day out from Ch-Mez, up to Dinant and back via a different route. Lots of cafes in Dinant (a good place to stay), in Givet and at the viewpoint.

We started each day with a full tank of fuel and never ran too short. Similarly, we tried to start each day reasonably early at say 09:00. We never struggled for time and, I'm sure, would have had the luxury of an hour or two spare had we had a significant problem anywhere.

Many of the roads are 'fast' with few cars, so decent progress can be made. There is not a huge amount of motorway miles. I brought some in where it was sensible to do so, just to crack off a few miles or miss out a known bottleneck.

Richard

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0we%20made.gdb

It's a Mapsouce file, hosted on Dropbox

No pics of the jaunt ?
    JohnnyBoxer

So many roads...........So little time......

Give us a chance, I haven't done 2011's yet it's not something I really enjoy doing, to be frank. I do though keep a diary of useful hints and tips for the future, full of scribble that I have to decipher over the winter.

I did break my 'No flower pressing rule'.... And I managed not to get a motorcycle in any.... So sorry in advance if anyone was expecting to see plastic and metal obscuring snowy peaks or if they really do not know what a 1600 looks like

Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    My honest tip would be to cut out the start and Lake Bourget, as it only brings you back in a circle to Annecy. Head straight north instead.
    I have amended the ride to Lake Geneva, deleting the section out to Lake Bourget.

It brings the distance down to about 100 miles, making it a simple day out. It would be good if you had just two days in Annecy and wanted to do the longer 250 mile over the two bigger passes on the next.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14126843/Temp.gdb

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678