Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wapping's Wanders 2013 - 20/21 April - Beginners only jaunt across the water

Quote Originally Posted by Hare About View Post
    Interested

Sorry I now have to work that weekend

Hello
    I'm new to UKGser
    I would love to come along if u could find one more space.

Pleas let me know if is available

Thanks Luke

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Question Peage

Hi Richard,

Would love to do this trip as I'm taking the bike to France for the first time in June - would love to but am struggling to fit in existing leisure plans as it is... If I could work 2 days an have a 5 day weekend (without any diminution in take-home pay), planning leisure time would be far less complicated!

I've driven extensively all over France so my question relates specifically to bikes at peage toll stations - given that bikes are chargeable and from experience of Dartford Crossing pre toll-free days, i.e. routine of gloves off, find money, pocket change, secure pocket, gloves back on being a pain in the butt, do you have any advice on the matter? Or is it just "be a man and just suck it up..."?

When driving I tend to use my debit card, irrespective of the toll amount (record low stands at €0.90; the highest was nearly €50 ) so I guess this might be the simplest approach with the bike, just a matter of not losing the section entry ticket!

This always used to stress me out as I was more concerned about delaying other people. But hey ho, they insist I pay so I take my time, gloves off, find money, etc etc. I do always have a small bag attached to the bars to keep loose change in and the ticket. Worse in the wet as it always take longer to get gloves on and off.

I have seen guys trying to rush and it always ends in tears as they drop their glove or the ticket falls to the ground.

To be fair I have never encountered other motorists trying to hurry me up

Quote Originally Posted by polecat View Post
    This always used to stress me out as I was more concerned about delaying other people. But hey ho, they insist I pay so I take my time, gloves off, find money, etc etc. I do always have a small bag attached to the bars to keep loose change in and the ticket. Worse in the wet as it always take longer to get gloves on and off.

I have seen guys trying to rush and it always ends in tears as they drop their glove or the ticket falls to the ground.

To be fair I have never encountered other motorists trying to hurry me up
    OK, thanks for that - I guess that is the issue that used to concern me but as you say, if the authorities want to levy a charge, it will cause delays.

I improved the gloves on and off issue by using silk liner gloves from Snow & Rock - before that, I could spend 10 minutes trying to get the standard linings back into my gloves before I could put them back on. The silks are thin enough that for fuel stops I can remove just one outer glove and leave the silk in place - putting the outer back on is as easy as you could wish. The other bonus is I can easily wash the silks regularly (when I remember) so they don't get too skanky and the outers don't get too sweaty in the summer! Point to note though - don't mess with Velcro hook-link fastenings as it will tend to shred the silks

Madam Trixies House of ill repute somewhere on the outskirts of Doncaster
    Pulling over before & after the toll booths to deal with gloves & cash is normally what I do.
    The area immediately after the booths usually has a rest area or car parking and also allows me and my buddies to re-group, have a fag, check route & change pages on maps etc

Quote Originally Posted by Peirre O`Bollox View Post
    The area immediately after the booths usually has a rest area or car parking and also allows me and my buddies to re-group, have a fag, check route & change pages on maps etc
    With a reasonable sized group, that performance can take up to half an hour.

And bods wonder where the day goes....

-----------------

Anyway, enough of this banter about how to pay at a payage barrier and silk underwear.

Use whatever method suits you best. I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Denz0 View Post
    Hello
    I'm new to UKGser
    I would love to come along if u could find one more space.

Pleas let me know if is available

Thanks Luke
    Luke, consider yourself included

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    Luke, consider yourself included

Richard
    Hi Richard

Train booked:
    --->Saturday 20 April at 07:50
    <---Sunday 21 April - at 18:20
    £27 return

Hello chaps, would this be suitable for me and the woman?

It'll be our first time abroad on the bike and I'd like her to have a good experience for the first time.

Cheers chaps

Hi Stuntman and the woman, I would hope that it suits you.

I guess that there have been six or more of these 'Beginners rides', with punters being polite enough to say that they have enjoyed them. Other participants have gone on to organise their own jaunts, which is exactly what I hoped for.

Including you, I definitely have enough bods to run the jaunt, so I will set about getting it all organised.

In the meantime, the list is full.

Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    Other participants have gone on to organise their own jaunts, which is exactly what I hoped for.

In the meantime, the list is full.
    That's because we had a good teacher, sharing advice and information.

dxtans
    David is...
    Going Down on a Signal 15 !

Brilliant, thanks dude.

I'll make sure the bike is ready for it , can say the woman will be

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    Brilliant....I'll make sure the bike is ready for it , can say the woman will be
    Splendid. Look forward to seeing you both on the day

Mick-B

To answer your question.

When on my bike, I pay the Peage tolls using my Post Office credit card, which does not levy an additional handling charge for overseas transactions.

I use a Touratech tank bag, which has a handy detachable pouch to put the Peage ticket and credit card in. Providing there are no problems with the card reader (happens occasionally) I can be through the tolls very quickly, whilst others faff about. I aso have a very simple peg, to hold the ticket when the machine first spits it out. Again, all done to save time, the enemy of any decent length motorcycle journey.

For the car, I now have an automatic bleeper thing, linked to my bank account, meaning I can use the fully automated 'non-stop' lanes. I can use it on my bike too, except that I would have to hand it over at one of the manned booths or pay the rate for a car.

Hello chap, how do we go about sorting things out complete newbs to bike traveling here!

cheers bud,

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast