Wapping's Wanders 2013 - 20/21 April - Beginners only jaunt across the water

Thanks Richard.

I think I may have even uploaded it onto my Garmin....... more by accident than by having a clue what I am doing :rolleyes:

There are more restauarants of all sorts that you can shake a stick at in Boulogne.

Via the power of Franglais, I have booked us a table for eleven bods at 20:00 at La Grillardine. Never been there but what the hell.

The restaurant seems to be not too far away from the hotel, at 30 Rue de Lille, Boulogne-Sur-Mer

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?sadd...cRzHAzIerP2iJtg&oq=ibis&gl=GB&mra=ls&t=m&z=18

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUs...sur_Mer_Pas_de_Calais_Nord_Pas_de_Calais.html

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restau...sur_Mer_Pas_de_Calais_Nord_Pas_de_Calais.html

Excellent work Richard. See you all at Folkestone on Saturday morning.

The weather forecast is still looking good for a weekend across the water :D

Andy

Blimey Richard, you don't do things by halves do you? This jaunt has been planned with almost military precision!

Can't thank you enough mate. Might even buy you a beer.....or two :thumb

Looking forward to it :thumby:

For anyone who is really new to riding in France, you'll see many of the types of road France has to offer, outside of the Alpine hairpins and (with luck) no goat tracks.

Don't forget your packed lunches for Saturday and to fill up before getting on the train in the morning. For anyone who doesn't know, there is a Shell fuel station at junction 11 of the M20, which is the junction before the Chunnel exit at 11a, when coming from London.

For anyone not coming down the M20 from London, there is a Tesco filling station in Cheriton High Street, Folkstone, which is within half a mile.

I still plan to be in the passenger centre thing in good time before our booked scheduled departure.

Loading has become a bit haphazard of late. There is a chance that we may not all be in the same carriage or get separated when getting off the train in France.
That's not a problem. We will all rendezvous (no matter what) in the first petrol station you come across when leaving the train. You can't miss it; on your left after about half a mile. Similarly, if anyone finds themselves on an earlier train by chance (it has happened) wait for us at the fuel station and we'll catch you up there.

I make it that we have eight bikes, three with pillions, eleven bods all told. That's great and that's the number we should have gathered up when we set off for the day. The definite aim is to have the same number of bikes and bods when we return.

We'll use the marker drop-off system, which we'll run run through for everyone. During the two days we will need some volunteers for tail-end Charlie duty and I am definitely more than happy for anyone and everyone to have a turn at leading us all along.... Have a go, it's what the weekend is designed for :thumby:

I will bring a basic toolkit with me, along with a puncture repair kit, too. Any minor problems we should be able to deal with. For everything else there's your insurance and your credit card :D

I think that's everything. See you all at the Chunnel.

Richard

Good riding weather

Weather weather looks set fine for a good weekend enjoy the riding And post some pictures when you get back

Two no-shows :nenau

Waited at the petrol station for two extra trains but no sign of life.

Good fun Wander I thought.

My thanks to all the Wanderers for keeping me company.

Richard

Bloody good fun Rich!

Thank you so much for going to the trouble of organising it all mate, it is very much appreciated :beerjug:

I hope you had a good ride today mate. I took a very leisurely ride along the D940 that you showed me yesterday on the detailed map. It was stunning, with some lovely twisty stuff thrown in for good measure :thumby: I probably would have not considered that road if you hadn't pointed it out at the picnic spot.

I was SURROUNDED by Poles on the train back!!!!

All in all a great weekend....... apart from getting smashed in the face by that garage door, with a cracking bunch of people.

Thanks again mate :thumb

Well Richard many thanks for organising this. Pauline and I quite enjoyed this one. Great roads. Great mixture of riders. The hotel Ibis was a great location for the night, right next to the old part of the town. The weather was just about right for riding.

Must remember to take note of which number my hotel room is ! I knocked on quite a few doors trying to locate Pauline who decided to go straight to the room, whilst I carried the bags up, without clearly notifying which room we were in
To top this very enjoyable ride off I mamaged to get to use my new 'stop and go' puncture repair kit , on a rider who had the mis fortune to get a puncture.

thanks
dxtans /Pauline

Thanks Richard for a great weekend. Great roads, great people. Good fun all round. Thoroghly enjoyed it.

Cheers,

Steve

Back
Top Bottom