Farkle future is bright. SUPERBRIGHT LED spotlights, CREE 10w LEDs & SuperMOFO HIDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
what beam pattern are they,think you mentioned spots and euro awhile back,cheers.

Spot.

With an LED though, you don't get a really defined edge to the light- They could put expensive prisms in to achieve that, but it kind of defeats the point anyway.

The beam pattern is circular and long, like an old fashioned Cibie spolight with a halogen bulb, but the disc of light it casts is quite soft edged IYSWIM

I've always been reluctant to take photos of light patterns, because frankly, you can make them look like anything you like in terms of brightness by changing the camera settings, but I will take some shots this week coming and post them up.

Are they MOT approved?

:nenau

They're CE rated.

If you point them at the wrong angle into oncoming traffic, like any other lights, they will earn you a fail for being a hazard, but aimed sensibly and with a switch, it's fine.

They don't need relays- We've got a couple of pairs fitted with feeds from sidelights (through a separate switch as well) and the current draw is tiny.

You could run 6 pairs from the canbus feed line before it triggers the 'switch' to cut off.

A few weeks ago we experimented with simple and cheap but effective ways of mounting these new superbright LEDs.

We didn't post anything because we wanted to try them out for a few weeks to make sure they didnt wibble around or anything.

They don't :JB

111-1-XL.jpg

Just unscrew the long screen mount bolt, slide it through the light bracket and tighten it up in position (leaving enough slack for last adjustments) then fit light to bracket....the fiddliest bit was getting the two serrated washers in place :blast

111-7-L.jpg

Mounted nice and high like this, they give a good spread of light :thumb2
These ones are the single 5w floods, fitted as this particular bike commutes on small country roads, but they could easily be the 10W cree spots instead.

111-4-L.jpg

111-6-XL.jpg

:JB

ovals

Do the oval twin LEDs fit the same?.... and any pics of the ovals in the same position?

Ta

Bubb

Do the oval twin LEDs fit the same?.... and any pics of the ovals in the same position?

Ta

Bubb

Yes and no.

They'd certainly bolt on the same, and their weight is about the same too, so no problems with stability or wobble.

BUT.....the flat surface where we mounted the round ones on Steve's bike is flat, but not vertical to the bike's center line IYSWIM.....so putting a pair of the oval twin ones on is easy, but they'd be at an angle....with the circular light lens, it makes no difference, but as the twins are aligned to the base of the bracket, they'd be at an angle to the vertical line of the bike.

Hope that makes sense :confused:

PS no sorry, no pics, we haven't fitted any oval twins on a 1200 yet.

While I was there, I did hold one of the oval ones up to the same point on the bike and it looked odd. IMO the oval ones would only look right on a bracket mounted horzontally... The good thing with the round ones is, whether you mount them horizontally, vertically or at an angle... they are round and round is round!!!:D

In the end, after looking at a range of options, they are so discreet and because of their matt black colour with the matt black tank sides and beak extender on my 12' they looked like they belonged on the side of beak extender. Anything else I feel may have looked a bit incongruous and obviously added. I also need to add they are fitted well with some rubber between the bracket and beak to dampen any movement. When I have riden in the dark, there was no noticeably shake from the beam.

A couple more pics added to give more detail of the fitting.

IMG_0577.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg

How are you finding them Steve?

They're 'only' floods but they illuminate a surprising amount of road don't they :thumb2

B

They are first class Bill, you can clearly see tow distinctive light patters, the warmer light from the Healdamp (phillips xtreme H7) and the bright white light from the LED's... makes me veyr visible and lights up the road well ahead of me. I've payed about with the adjustment a little.

As it was dark when I got home, I set them a little like a dipped beam (O/S lower) but as most of my riding is during the day I have now raised them a little so other road users pick up the twinkle from them.

PS ordered the lead for the accessory plug... I'll be in touch :cool:

I really like the look of the 5W on screen brackets - v clever indeed. :clap

unashamed bump, as the two threads have just been merged and people might be looking for the old one about the Cree 10w Spots...they are here!!!

Thanks Paul :beerjug:

Pm

Fanum, have sent you a PM with a request for light help.

Daniel

Mine are used daily on my Scoot and I love them - bright and v effective :thumb2

NEW LED DRL

New for next year from Durite, we have just got out sticky mitts on some samples of some rather nice superbright LED Daytime running lights

These are in sample packaging but will be a Durite product when released.

Two sizes:

LARGE
IMG_00000003-L.jpg

IMG_00000001-L.jpg

SMALL
IMG_00000041-L.jpg

IMG_00000004-L.jpg

Photos of lights when lit up are mostly BS, because they can show up as bright as you like just by adjusting the settings on the camera, but these really are seriously bright to look at!

Both sets come with a full loom fitted with an inline fuse and waterproof holder

Wiring- May seem unusual at first, but it does make sense when you play with them
Three wires.....one to earth (durr) one to ignition switched positive and the third (optional) goes to another live feed, and turns the DRL's OFF.
This means that with that third wire attached to main beam or dip beam feed, the DRLs are ON until you put the headlamps ON as well, at which point the DRLs are turned OFF.

(I doubt in honesty that many GSers will use the feature, but it's there.)

The larger of the two models comes with a bracket to mount onto a flat surface:

IMG_00000031-L.jpg

and the smaller one is designed to go into a recess and has a hole at either end to screw them in....it would be easy to make or find a bracket for those too though, or they could be cable tied onto/underneath a bar etc.

IMG_00000043-L.jpg

IMG_00000045-L.jpg

Front view of the larger one.....we left the plastic film attached by the way, as these are samples for evaluation and I have to take them back tonight.

IMG_00000044-L.jpg

This is the beam pattern as described on the box....long wide beam designed for visibility.

IMG_00000048-L.jpg

Both have die cast aluminium bodies and polycarbonate lenses and are fully ECE and CE approved.

We haven't got the final set in stone price yet, but we expect we will be able to supply these to Subscribed tossers at around (possibly UNDER) £30 a pair :thumb2

EDIT.....we don't have the full PDF spec sheet yet either, but we believe they will draw under half an amp each, so well under an amp per pair.
This means that canbus bikes will almost certainly run them directly from the feed to the dip beam without any LAMPF problems, but will DEFINITELY be able to run them from the canbus take-off lead :)

Light colour is 60K white and they are IP67 totally waterproof.

I guess that the wiring is designed to be hooked up to the indicators Bill so that they turn off so that you can see your indicator flashing :nenau

I've seen quite a few DRL doing this now where it dims the DRL enough to see the indicator, as soon as the indicator is turned off, bright light returns.

I'd like to see some quality round DRL with the indicator function as descibed above :thumb

I guess that the wiring is designed to be hooked up to the indicators Bill so that they turn off so that you can see your indicator flashing :nenau

I've seen quite a few DRL doing this now where it dims the DRL enough to see the indicator, as soon as the indicator is turned off, bright light returns.

I'd like to see some quality round DRL with the indicator function as descibed above :thumb

Yep, it would work exactly like that......the indicator and DRL would flash on and off.

The problem is though, BOTH DRLs would flash rather than just one, with the current loom as supplied.

It would be easy to pull the trigger wire though, and wire one to each indicator on each side (The flashing part is controlled inside the LED body rather than circuitry on the loom).......though TBH I don't know what the legal situation is with flashing white lights on the front of a bike (I have a feeling they're a :nono)

Personally, I'd have to recommend mounting the DRL led bars in a place so that they didn't interfere with the visibility of the indicators, rather than risking it.

The ACTUAL reason for the wring like that is simply because they are meant as Daylight Running Lights and in some places, they HAVE to be turned off when the main lights are put on. This does that automatically, if the trigger wire is used......if not (as most of us would do) they will stay on permanently with ignition unless wired through a manually activated switch

Wow....my spellchecker just tried to make me write "a anally activated switch" :D

CLOSING THIS THREAD NOW

Watch out for the new one which I'm working on now, with some rather massive price changes in the LED lights and some packages that may well tempt you :thumb2

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom