Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: riding in bad weather

New Member (less than 15 Posts)

riding in bad weather

this weekend i took a little trip to south scotland ,the weather was a bit duff but it was a good trip anyway. now i don't ride a lot but have a few years on my gs 1100. the problem for me is i always find riding in the wind on a motorway bad and get a light front end feeling which really scares me.
    does anyone know why or is it just me and what can i do .thanks john

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Hullo.......

errr.. dunno..

try lifting your arse off the saddle a little so that the wind doesn't get squeezed out between your thighs causing your front bits to lift
    This space deliberately left blank as the author writes too much pretentious bollocks as it is.

Try not to tense up too much Be as relaxed as you possibly can ,that helps you to sense the bike moving, and also not to do non helpful inputs to make it move more than it otherwise would.
    still no deid

The bike is a lot more capable than most riders give it credit for. Let the wind blow the bike about. Not too much of course but if you constantly try to fight every wiggle, you will be spending most of your time correcting problems caused by your own over-corrections.

There is a lot of sticky out bits on a GS that will catch the wind, this will have the effect of a lighter front end. Shift your weight forward a bit and slow down a bit so that you feel a bit more in control.

At the end of the day the only way to get more confident with riding in bad weather is to get out there and ride in bad weather.

Good luck and enjoy your riding.

Iconoclast Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by johnelka View Post
    this weekend i took a little trip to south scotland ,the weather was a bit duff but it was a good trip anyway. now i don't ride a lot but have a few years on my gs 1100. the problem for me is i always find riding in the wind on a motorway bad and get a light front end feeling which really scares me.
    Relax and hang loose. Get your elbows below the handlebars and let the bike do most of the work until you need to make a big correction.

Retired full time bike farkler Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by johnelka View Post
    speed up , honest , you'll find your a lot less blown about around 90mph than 70

One of the many occasions where going slow and/or hitting the brakes are amongst the worst options.

New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    thanks for the advice

Toubab Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo1 View Post
    speed up , honest , you'll find your a lot less blown about around 90mph than 70
    Gyroscopic forces from the wheels

Remember these?

Same principle
    सत्यमेव जयते

Iconoclast Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanum View Post
    Gyroscopic forces from the wheels

Remember these?

Same principle
    Not just quadratic equations but tonight, William, you have identified a use for differential equations. Well done that man......

http://www.intalek.com/Index/Project...cope/f387.html

As I understand it a bike doesn't really make that much use it's wheel's gyro effect, though it must play a part, The steering castor effect is much more important in keeping the front wheel in line.

Side wind loading is a balance of forces. A 30mph side wind on a bike doing 30mph gives a side force equal to the straight ahead winds loads created by driving the bike forwards. Simplistically, the same side wind on a bike doing 90 is only 1/3 of the forwards progress wind loads.

In reality the side wind is an even smaller fraction of the forces involved because the forward wind loading with speed increases as a square law. Perhaps someone who can do maths can maybe work out the real numbers. But suffice to say the bike going faster will suffer less sideways buffeting effect than one going slowly.

It explains why a 50mph gust on the old Severn Bridge, while you are doing 50 limit will cause the bike to swap lanes before you even realise its happened.

Chislehurst Borders (According to the estate agent)
    Too tense/gripping the controls like a posessed person.
    Too slow
    Over (and especially) under inflated tyres.

All have a bearing.

Sit in to the bike more, loosen your grip and relax.
    Keep your speed up.
    Correctly inflated tyres.

They're my survival kit.

Oh and knowing when you really should just leave it in the garage too

if you have knee pads on the tank use them

But can you use all this advice as a defense in court.

High winds on the motorways
    so speed restrictions go up
    you say sod all this it is safer for me to go much quicker
    get stopped for speeding
    end up in court
    blah, blah, blah

but sir I have a degree in applied mathematics and the forward motion must be greater than the sideways motion- hence my speed

nice fine and points go your way

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast