Well that's my toasty winter riding sorted out then!!

Fanum

Toubab
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just got this for the ENORMOUS sum of £7.50 :beerjug:

(The Rickman fairing, not the bike as well :blast)

fairing.gif

I reckon a day's farting about making up bracketry and stuff, and fitting a standard 7 inch H4 SBU (that's what it looks like to me :nenau) and job's a good'un :JB

Significantly bigger fairing, with a MUCH bigger screen ...at 6 foot four, I do get blasted rather a lot by the standard K RS fairing/screen, and Rosie says it's the coldest bike she's ever been on :blast

P1030656-L.jpg

Not going to know if it comes with the indicators until I get there to pick it up, but I have a box of spares somewhere :thumb

That brings back some memories...

My second ever BMW was bought from Hughenden M40 in 1984.

It was one of the first K100's, in Red, fitted with that very same fairing.

(I think the bike was A284 YRD)

It handled really badly, it's a VERY heavy bit of fibreglass, and I didn't beef up the forks.

But it was great to ride behind :thumb2

Good Luck :D

Is it not a "Pichler" fairing?

On 2nd thoughts, it's not that stylish.

:rob

Well the ad says Rickman, but I have no idea other than that.

It's only for the winter, over which time I will renovate the RS fairing to go back on in the spring :thumb2

I also bought a belly pan which is arriving Monday, but I'll have to fabricate up some mounting hardware for that as well, and stick an extension onto the front mudguard :)

You've been robbed. The bloke should have paid you more than that to take it away.

I KNEW you wouldn't like it :D

They look like rear K indicators on the fairing Bill

Aye, I thought that as well. Cheap on ebay, or I'll bung anything on that works.......this is for winter commuting, not for a MikeP special :D

It's only for the winter
I thought that the much vaunted 'Stich was supposed be able to deal with the winter weather? :augie

I'll admit that I don't like after-market fairings, not just because they look like crap but because they don't really work either in my experience. Every one I've experienced traps more weather behind it than it manages to keep off the rider.

The only way that fairing will keep you warm is by setting it alight and standing around it toasting your hands. :D

Plus, the RS fairing should provide more upper body protection than your 1150 ever did. If it's leg protection you're after, it's the wrong bike, not even RT/LT's do much in that way and especially not your feet. For the winter you need a K1 warmest bike you'll ever ride but you'd never fit in one.

I thought that the much vaunted 'Stich was supposed be able to deal with the winter weather? :augie

I'll admit that I don't like after-market fairings, not just because they look like crap but because they don't really work either in my experience. Every one I've experienced traps more weather behind it than it manages to keep off the rider.

The only way that fairing will keep you warm is by setting it alight and standing around it toasting your hands. :D

Plus, the RS fairing should provide more upper body protection than your 1150 ever did. If it's leg protection you're after, it's the wrong bike, not even RT/LT's do much in that way and especially not your feet. For the winter you need a K1 warmest bike you'll ever ride but you'd never fit in one.

I've had my 'stich for 9 years, plus it was second hand when i got it.

It's still my main travelling suit, but no it's no longer waterproof- the front zip and flap lets by now, so I have to wear a thin goretex walking jacket under it.

I can't be arsed with all that for my daily commute.......I wear my work boots and Crater work trews, then just chuck on my 10 yr old :eek: Rukka air with a long buff and shemagh, and my GS gloves.

The RS fairing does a fine job of keeping my legs warm with that uprising engine heat, and my gloves don't get wet in the pissing down rain either, presumably because the mirrors deflect everything, but my upper body and head gets wet and my helmet is buffeted to the point where above 80, I can't safely do a lifesaver :blast (I had the GSA so well sorted that I never got any buffeting and didn't get wet until I slowed down too much)

The wind flow is worse for Rosie on the back, so I'm hoping this Rickman might be better for her, and that it might stop my head from being smacked around all the time and my visor getting covered in road spray and cow shit thrown up from these country roads

(Actually, that's not true, we don't have cows here, we have mostly arable, but still, the roads are shitty)

If I duck in by about 9 inches, I can get into the bubble of air, but I can't ride for long like that.

I'll see what it's like.....if it's no good, I can sell it on- they are quite rare.

PS its interesting that I'm finding the exact opposite than you've experienced......I guess it's the different sizing.
My shins are flush against the side panels inside the fairing and my knees rest comfortably on the panel about half way up, so there's no gap for any vortexes to swirl rain into......I haven't even particularly noticed my feet getting wet :nenau
My shoulders and head though, definitely in the wind , and at speed, the GSA is like a Bentley compared to the RS's series one landy for quietness and windproofing :blast

I've never seen a full photo of your RS Bill. Does it still have the adjustable deflector blade at the top? I know a lot get snapped off by ham-fisted owners.

It does a remarkable job (if adjusted correctly) and will virtually eliminate buffeting.

I've never seen a full photo of your RS Bill. Does it still have the adjustable deflector blade at the top? I know a lot get snapped off by ham-fisted owners.

It does a remarkable job (if adjusted correctly) and will virtually eliminate buffeting.

There's one above Mike, in this thread. (oops, it doesnt show the top of the screen ignore that)

No, the deflector is long gone....It was a loan bike, so one of the tossers here almost certainly bashed it off :blast

Part number 4 Bill.

B0001012.png

It's even listed as "slipstream deflector" so BMW knew buffeting was a problem and at least tried to address it back in those days. :rolleyes:

Yep, I've seen them on, and my finger even hovered over the button to buy one from MWorks.

The whole front fairing on mine is tatty though, scored down to the fibreglass in numerous places and with half a dozen steel plates pop riveted over cracked areas........I actually quite like the functionality and look of them , but as this bike is going to either become the annual hack, or a variation of that off-road version I posted a few times, I didn't want to start spending on parts that are only compatible with the original fairing system.
(I even have doubts about whether the current OEM fairing will take the deflector, as there is significant damage to the mounting areas)

This Rickman is worth a go, and for the price I paid, I can't lose really :)

Back
Top Bottom