Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Late Wander (26, evening??) 27 & 28 October

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Hi David, sorry to hear about Pauline's break but good to hear she seems to be on the mend. Enjoy the Lake District and look forward to seeing you both next year.

We have often stopped In St Omer, quite often something is going on in the Square, Xmas markets, traveling fairs and one year they had shipped in a huge amount of sand and converted the square into multiple beach volleyball courts, naturally I only watched the ladies section for educational reasons.

I don't know if you have stopped at the centreville Ibis before, but round the back are gates to secure parking, I think reception has to open them ? also we arrived after nine one night and they were still happy to feed us. so all in all a good place to stop.

Enjoy your trip.
    John.

Hi John,

Yup, I've used the St Omer Ibis before and agree that it's one of the better ones.

Near the square there is quite a good bakers who open early. I have used it to buy some pre-filled rols for lunch, when riding around on my own.

OK - I'm all sorted for the Friday night. Booked on the 18.36 Chunnel and into the Ibis in central Saint Omer.

I'll await your deliberations about the Saturday night hotel.

I could only get booked onto the 18.50 Chunnel for the return on the Sunday so if they can't squeeze me in on the 18.20 with you guys on the day then - oh well, ho hum - no worries.

Looking forward to meeting you all at Departures on the 26th.

Cheers,
    Andy

Excellent news, Andy.

We are staying at 'Hotel Petry' in Vianden.

http://www.hotel-petry.com

It was six and two three's between the two hotels. I landed on the Petry only because I want to try it out before a bigger 'Wander' next year and it was a whole two euro cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    Excellent news, Andy.

We are staying at 'Hotel Petry' in Vianden.

http://www.hotel-petry.com

It was six and two three's between the two hotels. I landed on the Petry only because I want to try it out before a bigger 'Wander' next year and it was a whole two euro cheaper
    Two euro cheaper

That my beer for the evening sorted then

Quote Originally Posted by karlp View Post
    Two euro cheaper

That my beer for the evening sorted then
    I always aim to please

www.humvee-graphics.com Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Train booked

Departure: Friday 26 October 2012 Departure time: 18:36

Returning: Sunday 28 October 2012 Departure time: 18:20
    Re the return journey, would I be right in thinking we depart at 18.20 would arrive at 18.50 French time, allow for the hour time difference plus the hour we lost when the clocks go back, arrival time 16.50 does that sound right? bear with me it's been a long day
    Visit our web shop for stickers/graphics/pannier wrap kits for your GS/Adventure bike
    web shop; www.humvee-graphics.com The originals and the best
    Limited range of our products available on e-bay, our shop; humveegraphics
    Facebook; http://www.facebook.com/humveegraphics

Clocks change (fall bak) in France and England simultaneously. You seem to have deducted two hours.

We arrive back at 17:55

Long day indeed

www.humvee-graphics.com Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Clocks change in France and England.

We arrive back at 17:55

Long day indeed

Didn't realise they changed in France too, I did say it had been a long day

It will be a long day for some, I have another 240 miles from Folkestone
    Visit our web shop for stickers/graphics/pannier wrap kits for your GS/Adventure bike
    web shop; www.humvee-graphics.com The originals and the best
    Limited range of our products available on e-bay, our shop; humveegraphics
    Facebook; http://www.facebook.com/humveegraphics

Quote Originally Posted by 2 wheel humvee View Post

Best start now

Quote Originally Posted by 2 wheel humvee View Post

Ahh but do they change at exactly the same time as us or do they change one hour earlier ' cos they are one hour ahead, which means for an instant and I mean an instant we could be at exactly the same time or two hours apart.

Roll on friday - I can see some interesting discussions in between the beer

To make matters potentially more confusing we are spending the night in Luxembourg. Thankfully, like France their clocks also fall back one hour too. They fall back at 03:00 local time on Sunday morning, as do the clocks in France. Phew, France and Luxembourg are always on the same time as each other.

The UK's change too but at 02:00 local time, which is already one hour behind both Luxembourg and France. Thus preserving the steady equilibrium of life in all its many facets and wonders.

I can remember not so long ago when France and the rest of mainland Europe moved their clocks back a week or two earlier than us in the UK. For two or so happy weeks we shared the same time. Nobody died, cows were still milked, children were not mowed down in their hundreds going to school..... But to appease the Scots we fell back later, putting us back out of step. Come 2014 this nonsense can be sorted out once and for all.

Now a more pressing question: What time do the bars open and is that local or UK time?

To make matters potentially more confusing we are spending the night in Luxembourg. Thankfully, like France their clocks also fall back one hour too. They fall back at 03:00 local time on Sunday morning, as do the clocks in France. Phew, France and Luxembourg are always on the same time as each other.

The UK's change too but at 02:00 local time, which is already one hour behind both Luxembourg and France. Thus preserving the steady equilibrium of life in all its many facets and wonders.

I can remember not so long ago when France and the rest of mainland Europe moved their clocks back a week or two earlier than us in the UK. For two or so happy weeks we shared the same time. Nobody died, cows were still milked, children were not mowed down in their hundreds going to school..... But to appease the Scots we fell back later, putting us back out of step. Come 2014 this nonsense can be sorted out once and for all.

Now a more pressing question: What time do the bars open and is that local or UK time?
    So if you were catching a train in Luxembourg at 02:30 on Sunday morning would that be at the first time it was 02:30 or could you wait an hour and catch the same train when the clock again reaches 02:30 and more so could you claim compensation if you missed it.

Regarding the nosebag.......

Hi Richard,

By my estimate it'll be around 21.15hrs on the Friday night by the time we've checked into the hotel, gotten changed and hit the road seeking grub.

You've done the Friday night trips before - is this correct? Will they still be serving up food at this time to desperados like us?

Andy

Hi Andy,

The 18:36 train arrives in France at 20:11 local time. If we add 10 minutes for fiddling about with the doors, cars getting off etc it will be 20:20. Thirty minutes or there abouts to the hotel, 20:50. A quick in and out, 21:10 or thereabouts.... So 21:30 is as good an estimation as any.

We should find something........ I am trying to find the telephone number of the restaurant, pizza place, that I have used before. If I can I will try to book us a table at 21:30.

If not, we will have to starve....

I think we will be alright.

The alternative will be to arrive at St Omer, sling the bikes onto the main square, dive into a pizza place in our bike gear, sit down, scoff the grub and then check-in. That will work, too.

All part of the fun.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast