1994 Cali

20122021MotoGuzzi001.jpg

Looks like a squatter lurking in the corner.:D

20122021MotoGuzzi002.jpg

Looks like the squatter's got a squatter, look at the resident spider.

Where was I? Oh yes, the engine. I love the lumpiness of it, if you understand what I mean. Love the low revving as well. 4,000 rpm is about 75 / 78mph.

The Divvy is doing about60mph at those revs, the GS about 68mph.

Surprised how natural the footboards felt as well.

gear change feels odd:augie

The ACF50 attack started quite quick, I had to stop myself and put it away.:D

The rubber bung that's part of the diff. venting is missing. At first I wondered why the grub screw seemed to be "holed" at it's base:rolleyes: Wow, that is crude:eek:

Seems to have an incy wincy master cylinder for the front brake! Haven't noticed the other one yet:confused:

Still just chuffed that it's mine. 1974 to 2012 was a long wait for a Guzzi.:blagblah

just joined the Moto Guzzi Club GB.

They are an odd mix,I was a member for many years :thumb
Enjoy the guzzi,wen I was at the factory an old guy who spoke good engrish said guzzi's pick there owners not the other way round ;)

just joined the Moto Guzzi Club GB.

Enjoy the new bike, Guzzis really are different :beerjug:

They are an odd mix,I was a member for many years :thumb
Enjoy the guzzi,wen I was at the factory an old guy who spoke good engrish said guzzi's pick there owners not the other way round ;)

I spend a bit of time riding out with the Guzzi Club and use the forum a little, generally a nice bunch and far less cliquey and cynical then this forum's lot :augie

been in the guzzi club since about 94.

been to the v-twin rally many times. they're nice enough, but never really made any great friends there at all :confused:

JayC, I looked at the carbs, and they are PHF36's.

Fuel tap, Jeez. I've read that it's hard to tell what position it's in. Part still available though for under £40.

Fuel tap, Jeez. I've read that it's hard to tell what position it's in. Part still available though for under £40.
Of all the 'stupid things' on Guzzis - that has to rank as the stupidest! :mad:
I stripped mine, cleaned it and lubed anything that moved, rerouted the cable and allowed the 'knob' end :)augie ) to dictate the position and fit of the sidepanel (also results in less cracked screw holes on the panel :rolleyes: ).
It is a fairly definite click now - but the undertank end still dribbles a little fuel if disturbed in any way. :blast

This is the first time I have visited this forum and this is my first post.

You will find the california a very comfortable bike to ride. You can ride all day, every day on it. It is simple to work on. It has a reputation of being unreliable. I have ridden 14000 miles on mine and have had a flat tyre. That is the sum total of all the problems I have had with it.

Most owners change the relays on them as the originals are a bit suspect. If you ask on the Moto guzzi Club GB web site about Dons electrics in the USA they will tell you the details. The relays are cheap and you get them very quickly. The fuel sender is also suspect on the Cali. The bit that screw into the tank from underneath.

The UK club is very active and has the best motorbike magazine I have ever seen. The club is worth joining.

You need to find out where Mandello is on Lake Como because you are bound to be going soon. You will also find that one Guzzi is never enough.

P1010061.jpg

P1000091.jpg

Steve

I'm still struggling with the heel & toe change. front brake has caught me out as well. Must remember to use the foot brake:blast

Personally I don`t know why they call it a heel and toe change because I only use the ball of my foot whichever way I am changing.

You will have found by now that you will get "False neutrals" Depending what day it was made in the factory, the number of false neutrals can vary between 1 and 6 :)

The very first time I sat on my Cali I rode it 2 up from Yorkshire to Italy and back to Denmark, None of this test ride round the block rubbish. We had never sat on a Guzzi before but within 30 minutes it had become my armchair. As co-pilot, Jannie loves it.

The really good thing is they start up in any weather. Especially when you get caught in the snow in St Moritz in September. It was 26 degrees in Mandello the day before and -5 when I woke up. I didn`t expect that ;O)

P1010614.jpg

I was so impressed that someone knew what a Moto Guzzi Cardellino was. Here it is in living colour:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be480hYH0zY

Steve

My left ankle is restricted in it's movement. Sitting in this chair typing, I look down at my feet on the floor, pivot my ankle upwards. Right foot toes, are 3" higher than my left. I don't notice on my other bikes, But, I do have my gear levers set very low.

Think I need to play with the position of the lever.

Incidentally, as no one has commented. The bike was on EBAY as a '94 , but it is a '93

Incidentally, as no one has commented. The bike was on EBAY as a '94 , but it is a '93

Why would they when the blurb stated :-

Date of 1st Registration: 05/01/1994

A vehicle could be 10yrs older than it's registration date if it didn't find a buyer for 10yrs since its manufacture.

You will have found by now that you will get "False neutrals" Depending what day it was made in the factory, the number of false neutrals can vary between 1 and 6 :)

Steve

shift quality of the old guzzi gearboxes is very dependant on the way they are shimmed. i've only relatively recently concluded that the way they tell you in the manual is a long way from perfect.

Back
Top Bottom